• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Is this dangerous?

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
OK..... my dad has a grill and the burner part has a quarter-sized hole in it, so there is a fairly large flame coming out from the hole. Damn flame burner is rusted through. Is that dangerous? He doesnt want to get a new one because of the $40 cost of it. I dont want anything to blow up :ermm:

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Sushi, it's not a good idea to use it that way. I would not try to repair a hole that big. $40 is a lot cheaper than a new grill, but for $188 you get new everything.

Trakternut

If the burner's rusted to the point of having a hole that size, it's a sure bet it's not in good enough shape to put any screws or any other kind of patch over that hole. A new burner's in order here.
However, I don't think you'll blow the neighborhood up by using it. It'll just use more gas than it should, plus, you'll have that one, big hot spot under your food.
Tell him to shake loose and get a new burner.

Gerard

"You have to"
Site Supporter
Does one "need" a Weber? No. Heck according to the local K-Mart ad he can get a Char-Broil 2 burner job for $99. Still grills steaks and burgers.

Understood, BUT you're assuming it's a cheaper grill and not all people want/have them. If it's a WEBER it will cost.

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
Understood, BUT you're assuming it's a cheaper grill and not all people want/have them. If it's a WEBER it will cost.

Pretty sure it's dual Weber's on a ALUMINUM cross ram.......Oh shit.......wrong forum !
Never mind..............

Sorry !!!!!!!!

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter

Sushi quoted the $40 burner price not me.

The ignitor for mine is $30 and the cooking grid is $113. The burner is $65. So I know what you're talking about.

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$

Pretty sure it's dual Weber's on a ALUMINUM cross ram.......Oh shit.......wrong forum !
Never mind..............

Sorry !!!!!!!!

$40 does seem cheap really..................

Attachments

• hemique.jpg
    hemique.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 117

BamsBBQ

this coming from someone who builds grills and smokers.... take it as you want..lol

Use a fender washer.
yes you can use a fender washer but not for that long...make sure that it is stainless steel... do not use any other kind as they are zinc coated...nasties get burned off and that gets into your food

OK, JB weld ................. or better yet an exhaust patch!

both have chemicals when heated, not a good option

i am proposing this...

i have a couple extra dollars in my paypal account... lets give Sush and his dad a gift... anybody want to help me out??? no joking here, i am serious

and sushi, check around, you may be able to get a universal fitting burner replacement for cheaper especially at walmart

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
If the burner's rusted to the point of having a hole that size, it's a sure bet it's not in good enough shape to put any screws or any other kind of patch over that hole. A new burner's in order here.
However, I don't think you'll blow the neighborhood up by using it. It'll just use more gas than it should, plus, you'll have that one, big hot spot under your food.
Tell him to shake loose and get a new burner.

I'll second Trakternut on both: fixing is futile, so a new burner is in order to fix it. But, I've never had an explosion in a grill I didn't intentially create.

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
this coming from someone who builds grills and smokers.... take it as you want..lol

yes you can use a fender washer but not for that long...make sure that it is stainless steel... do not use any other kind as they are zinc coated...nasties get burned off and that gets into your food

both have chemicals when heated, not a good option

i am proposing this...

i have a couple extra dollars in my paypal account... lets give Sush and his dad a gift... anybody want to help me out??? no joking here, i am serious

and sushi, check around, you may be able to get a universal fitting burner replacement for cheaper especially at walmart

Noooooo no no no. No thanks man. I REALLLLY appreciate the thought but this isnt a life or death situation. Its not that important. Im not paying for a new grill. The grill is from 1996. I originally gave it to him back then. It has no more paint on it BUT the old Char-broil is sturdy and he has replaced the grill grate 3 years ago so its ok. He just needs a new burner element. If its NOT dangerous I'll just let him use it the way it is

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
You may want to surf Craigslist for a similar model grill and then scavenger it for parts. Just a thought.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK..... my dad has a grill and the burner part has a quarter-sized hole in it, so there is a fairly large flame coming out from the hole. Damn flame burner is rusted through. Is that dangerous? He doesnt want to get a new one because of the $40 cost of it. I dont want anything to blow up :ermm:
I don't think it would blow up or anything. I would not try patching the hole. The flame coming out the hole would take away from the flame that cooks your food so it might not be as efficient at cooking but it should not hurt anything. My very unprofessional opinion.