• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Kristi KT7 WTS

Helmsman38

Member Formerly Known As Kristi KT7
GOLD Site Supporter
Are you little different and looking for a snow cat like no other. Do you enjoy a project that has little left to complete. The Kristi KT7 is on the market for a new home. I am a one cat household and onto another project and there is no room for two cats. The Kristi KT7 rebuild is well documented here on the fourmsfourms any or all questions a serious buyer might have prior to purchase can be found here. So if your serious about owning a slice of history like no other, crack open the fourmsfourms and start reading. This is your opportunity.

$27,200. Marco respond to this posting and I will contact you.

Attachments

• IMG_2291.jpg
    IMG_2291.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 1,805
  • IMG_2683.jpg
    IMG_2683.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 1,713

nikos

Are you little different and looking for a snow cat like no other. Do you enjoy a project that has little left to complete. The Kristi KT7 is on the market for a new home. I am a one cat household and onto another project and there is no room for two cats. The Kristi KT7 rebuild is well documented here on the fourmsfourms any or all questions a serious buyer might have prior to purchase can be found here. So if your serious about owning a slice of history like no other, crack open the fourmsfourms and start reading. This is your opportunity.

THE KRISTI KT7.

Attachments

• IMG_2291.jpg
    IMG_2291.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 1,682
  • IMG_2683.jpg
    IMG_2683.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 1,584

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter

VIDEO https://youtu.be/zwsCXzs8mMs

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That's cool! What are the grousers, they look wood?
Originally they were HICKORY

I can't recall if they were rebuilt with new Hickory of if a different wood was used, but yes, wood grousers. I believe topped with a steel cap?

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
they are some strong plastic now. you should be able to find the restore pictures.

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Marco, during your snow trials in McCall did you determine if Yeti has a Hi/Lo "gearing", or did it end up being only one speed regulated by RPM?

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
Marco, during your snow trials in McCall did you determine if Yeti has a Hi/Lo "gearing", or did it end up being only one speed regulated by RPM?

Snow trials didn't have the governor linkage correctly installed. The hydraulic system requires the governor to keep the engine RPM below 2800. With caution on the flat I was able to drive around a bit keeping the RPM below 2800. When you get on the steeps its about impossible to manage the RPM and drive at the same time.

Im not a big time know it all mechanic so its been a slow and easy progression. Right now the linkage still needs to be fabricated ..

The more pressure on the hydraulic sticks the faster the speed there is no high and low gearing only one speed regulated by RPM.

Thanks for asking let me know if you have any other questions.

Last edited:

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
yes, it is a lot of money for any over the snow machine, and if it needs some attention,

if one is interested in the history side of the over the snow machines, this one has quite a story to tell, and price and condition are parts of the consideration as to it's value to the buyer...

someone wanting a machine to jump into and explore the back country, this is not a machine for that, but if you have an interest in history, wow, this one rings lots of bells...

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
Yeah I just haven’t been able to find another KT7 It’s certainly not a Cat like all the rest

and i would add to that, I would not sell my KT7 for what Mr. Kristi KT7 is asking for his, and mine needs to be restored, they are very special pieces of history, and deserves to be loved and saved to tell the story over the snow machines, you need to have a passion for these things, and it does take a special love of these machines to buy one...

God made Imps for rip snorting around and tearing up the snow, they are great little machines, let the snow fly.....

Last edited:

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
Funny, I thought I read that only 3 of these were prototyped and only one made for a total of 4?

i think you could call all 4 of them prototypes, though, Mr KT7 is the only one with a water cooled V-4 engine, so, may have been the production model

hard to say what really happened, the history is more oral than written...

rodre

You would think that with the Wikipedia write up here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/KRISTI_snowcat#KRISTI_Washington.2C_new_owners_and_the_KT7

one of those auto or machinery collectors with a ton of cash would jump on the chance to buy this. Even with the rare muscle cars that sell for over a $100k they made more than 4. I am not a collector and I don't have a ton of cash and I am even thinking about it, just for the investment alone, problem is I need a backcountry cat and can't do both. Then there is the fact that I don't have one of those collection showrooms or a 12 car garage.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Barrett Jackson? Wonder how much it would fetch. They have had some VERY unique vehicles go across the block for millions. Lol

rodre

Yeah, I saw a redone late '40's early '50's GM bus, without the original engine but otherwise completely redone, go for 4.something million dollars at one of those auctions on YouTube. It was nice but not 4 million dollars nice. If there is a market for that there must be a market for this. Will you take $30k? Lol...

Fbmcurtis

You know almost 25k and the machine doesn't even work right? How does anyone justify this price. Because this is the 4th one made? The first 3 didn't didn't work right. This one didn't either... just being honest. Why pay this much for something that isn't truly operational?. Someone enlighten me. And if your argument is that it's unique save it. A snow machine has to do one thing good, get me through the snow.

GlacierSean

SUPER Site Supporter
So there is the short answer and the long answer.
Short answer is- it's for sale for $25k, and if your not interested don't buy it.

Long answer - have you ever driven an old corvette "c1 or c2" they are terrible cars. They leak oil, brakes don't work, tires suck, sometimes they don't start and they aren't safe. A new civic sti or golf gti would beat them in a race. But people still fork over $100k for them all the time because they are cool, and have a neat history and so on.

So you might say "it has been for sale for a year and hasn't sold must be priced too high". To that I would say look at the other cats that have sold or not here on forums forum. Typically the vintage cats priced $20k and up either take forever to sell or don't sell. Examples include the yellow thiokol for $25 that never sold, the beautifully restored st4 that people are arguing about, the tucker 1443 that has been for sale forever. These are all desirable cats that would have sold in 5min if they were in a field, in need of a full restoration and $500. Seems like we all want to steal a snowcat and do our own restoration. Another example are the tucker 222s that have been for sale this year. At around 5k they sell in 5min, someone asks $8500 and it just sits. So that's just how most vintage cat buyers are and just because a cat doesn't sell at a certain price it doesn't mean it's not worth it.
Finally this cat is historically significant and having a high barrier to entry will hopefully insure that it ends up with a serious collector that will love it.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Long answer - have you ever driven an old corvette "c1 or c2" they are terrible cars. They leak oil, brakes don't work, tires suck, sometimes they don't start and they aren't safe. A new civic sti or golf gti would beat them in a race. But people still fork over $100k for them all the time because they are cool, and have a neat history and so on.

Sean,

Your youth is showing...

Admittedly the early C1 Corvettes left something to be desired, but the C2s are nowhere near terrible. In fact, I would say the C2, known as the "Stingray" (1963-1967 production years) are consistently among the most valuable and collectible of all American cars. The 1963 Coupe was the famous "split window". That is one of the most iconic American cars of all time. In 1965 four wheel disc brakes were standard equipment on the Corvette. With the power brake option those brakes work very well. In mid 1965 Chevy offered a big block engine for the first time in the Corvette, the 396 rated at 425 HP. For 1966 the displacement was increased to 427 cubic inches and it was initially rated at 450 HP. Due to government/insurance company intervention Chevrolet re rated the engine at 425 HP, but no changes were made to the engine or its tuning! (A bit of trivia, it wasn't until the 2008 Corvette, with the Z06 option, that a Corvette had a higher factory horsepower rating.) In fact, the 1966 427/425 HP Corvette ranks as number four of the 50 fastest muscle cars of all time!
http://www.chevyhardcore.com/news/the-top-50-fastest-muscle-cars-of-all-time/

Yes, the tires did "suck", but hello, back then all American cars came with bias ply tires, not radials. You can put radial tires on these cars and it is a nice improvement.

The 1967s tend to bring the most money of any of the 63-67 years and really nice 427 cars with the 435 HP engine (featuring tri-power carburetion) consistently sell for hundreds of thousands of dollars. The uber-rare (only 20 were made) L-88 cars sell for literally millions (plural).

Have you ever heard a Corvette 427 big block engine with a solid lifter cam and the factory side pipe exhaust? That sound is incredibly awesome. There is absolutely no comparison between that and the Hoover (vacuum cleaner) inspired sound of a GTI or Civic STI.

You need to watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYMerEmVca4

Listen to the remarks at the 2:25 point.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
and the best part is to be old enough to have hear a 427 vette on the street in the day, better yet, 1966 Cobra SC, 427, the one with the side pipes and it's No. 2 on the list of fastest muscle cars with highest top speed. yup, faster than No.1, And then to drive it, oh my god.

or how about a '66 Ford GT and or a Dayton coupe on the track back in the day

that is a sound you will never forget

and back to the real reason for this Tread, lets find a new home for an interesting and important part of snow cat history, be the only kid on your block with a KT7 in your living room...