• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Mountain Cur

AAUTOFAB1

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
had to google Mountain Cur,:yum: wasn't sure what the heck it was:unsure:.

great lookin dog :thumb: but never owned one, so sorry to say i'm not much help, are they hunting dogs?

Cletis

Primarily in the south east. Not many out west at all. We ride and hunt in the back country alot and the grizzlies are past ridiculous. Seen more griz and wolf tracks this yr while elk hunting than elk. A guy was bitten a cpl weeks earlier right where we hunted. supposedly never even seen it coming.

We've always had labs. Problem is that when scared they come running back to you and bring whatever is chasing them also!!!!!

Everything I've read is that these mt curs are small but have alot of grit and will stand their ground. I know they don't stand a chance but are said to be wiry enough to bay them and stay out of a bears reach.

I don't want something to try to fight it. I just want a little extra warning and time to get to the holster.

a cur is a good dog.my neibour had a canadian cur and that sucker sure would hunt.if your looking for lots of gritt consider a plott hound.mine is strong,loyal loves to hunt and almost terrier like in build and behaviour.

Cletis

Thank you for the info. I did think real serious about the Plott hound. First problem was I wasn't able to find a breeder. I was also worried about the very low temps here for that breed. Can be -25f for weeks at a time. He'd stay indoors but spend alot of time outside also.

Cletis