Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Off Topic Forums > Pets & Livestock Forum

Pets & Livestock Forum Pets, Livestock and other animals

Old 06-03-2011, 09:02 AM
Banned

Lia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Scientists Find New MRSA Superbug in Cows, Humans...

Personally, altho interesting, I would much rather be told what was done to the milk in europe/UK afew years ago, that caused me, and no doubt many others, to become intolerant of milk, overnight. I've never been able to discover the why or how, altho its possible that humans experience 'chemical changes' in their bodies, that might instigate such intolerances, for no apparently discernable reason, known to medical science just now. Weird.

Quote:
British scientists have found a new strain of the "superbug" [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]MRSA[/COLOR][/COLOR] in milk from cows and in swab samples from humans and say it cannot be detected with standard tests.
Researchers said the find was "worrying" but added it was unlikely that the methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus bug, which is resistant to some antibiotics, could cause infections by getting into the [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]food[/COLOR][/COLOR] chain via milk.
Mark Holmes and a team of scientists from Cambridge University, found the new MRSA bug while researching S. aureus, a bug known to cause a potentially lethal disease in dairy cows called bovine mastitis. The discovery was published on Friday in The Lancet Infectious Diseases journal...

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/0...#ixzz1ODHTlDle
Old 06-03-2011, 09:11 AM
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

Thanked 6,991 Times in 3,008 Posts
Melensdad has a spectacular aura aboutMelensdad has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Scientists Find New MRSA Superbug in Cows, Humans...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lia View Post
I would much rather be told what was done to the milk in europe/UK afew years ago, that caused me, and no doubt many others, to become intolerant of milk, overnight...
I am lactose intolerant and it was also a sudden change for me about 10 years ago. Its apparently more common in humans than I would have previously guessed, and it apparently has a sudden onset. It is interesting in the entire realm of mammals, only humans drink milk beyond their early formative years. Perhaps some of our bodies are just not designed for milk as we age?

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion:
the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases,
while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage
of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force."
- Ayn Rand
Old 06-03-2011, 09:12 AM
worn out farmer

muleman is just really nicemuleman is just really nicemuleman is just really nicemuleman is just really nice

Overuse of drugs to treat humans and animals have created these ever evolving strains of diseases. The bugs win for a while then science finds a new drug and it works for a while till the bugs find a way around them. It is especially bad when children are treated early in life as their bodies don't develop natural anti-toxins to many of the "normal"diseases we all experienced growing up. I often wonder if the instant relief is worth the long term price. Much the same with animals. In an effort to increase milk production and save sickly cows that would have normally been culled by nature we over treat diseases and they develop the same resistant strains.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:30 AM
Banned

Lia is an unknown quantity at this point

Melensdad, yours is as good a theory, if not more plausible than most that I have heard for why some become intolerant to certain foods... and Bill, your right imho, about the overuse of drugs and chemicals to treat animals and humans, and it is a worrying trend that doesn't seem to be abating, given the controversial opinions regarding such usage.

Another thing that I wonder about, constantly, is the use of sterilizing fluids used to clean babies bottles, and other accessories... I mean, despite the claims that this is a very weakened solution of bleach, it will strip ingrained dirt/stains from anything, including cracks and crevices around the home.

I use this stuff as am efficient cleaning aid for practically everything. It IS a bleach, and diluted or not, it is powerful enuff to lift more than the germs one would find in a babies bottle. Heck, its more powerful than any ordinary bleach that one finds on a superstore shelf.

Why would anyone think that it would be safe to use in a baby bottle? Most baby bottles are plastic (they used to be glass, apparently), and some plastics are porous; so no matter how much it is rinsed the bleach will not be fully eradicated.

Could this be a reason for why so many babies, children and adults have suddenly become allergic and intolerant of so much? The increase in these issue amongst humans has risen at an alrming rate. We all need a certain amount of bacteria in our bodies; some of it is essential to our survival. Are we bleaching ourselves out of existence?
Old 06-03-2011, 09:40 AM
Master of Distraction

PBinWA will become famous soon enoughPBinWA will become famous soon enough
Style: VB_Original_Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleman View Post
Overuse of drugs to treat humans and animals have created these ever evolving strains of diseases. The bugs win for a while then science finds a new drug and it works for a while till the bugs find a way around them. It is especially bad when children are treated early in life as their bodies don't develop natural anti-toxins to many of the "normal"diseases we all experienced growing up. I often wonder if the instant relief is worth the long term price. Much the same with animals. In an effort to increase milk production and save sickly cows that would have normally been culled by nature we over treat diseases and they develop the same resistant strains.
This. +1

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

-Gerald Ford

Old 06-03-2011, 09:43 AM
Platinum Member

mak2 will become famous soon enough

well, the super bugs and food intolerances are different. The superbugs have come from the overperscription of antibiotics and patients not taking the prescribed amount. If you have any left over anitbiotics in you medicine cabinet you might be one of the culprits. Some bugs supposedly arise, at least I tell my students, from priming IV lines by allowing the fluid to run on the floor. Now they make cool little paper caps that lets air through by not fluid.

The big problem with these superbugs is just when we get sick, we want the doctor to do something. It is usually antibiotics. 3 days latter you get over it, quit taking your antibiotics cause they upset your tummy. Now you are growing a super bug.Wexide or something like it is generally used for nonfood surfaces and kills most everthing. I think a hot dishwasher with normal dishsoap should be good for dishes.

The world will never be sterile, it would really suck if it was.

Jindal is right.