• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Determining what is "right" and "wrong": Religion

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Dr Laura Schlessinger ("Dr Laura") broadcasts a 3 hour long, radio program each weekday on a network of over 500 radio stations in the U.S. and Canada and has an estimated audience of 20 million people. She holds a Ph.D. in physiology (study of the functions of living matter), not psychology as some assume.
In her radio show, Dr Laura Schlesinger has said that, as an observant Orthodox Jew, homosexuality is an abomination according to Leviticus 18:22, and cannot be condoned under any circumstance. The following response was posted on the internet and is best regarded as an essay clearly meant for a wider audience than just Dr Laura. It is a general reminder that many belief systems pick and choose their way through biblical teachings in determining what is "right" and "wrong". Authorship has been attributed to several, but remains unconfirmed.

Dear Dr. Laura:
Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination... End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some other elements of God's Laws and how to follow them.

1. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighbouring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of Menstrual uncleanliness - Lev.15: 19-24. The problem is how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

4. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is, my neighbours. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

5. I have a neighbour who insists on working on the Sabbath.Exodus 35:2. Clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or should I ask the police to do it?

6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination - Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this? Are there 'degrees' of abomination?

7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle- room here?

8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev.19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? Lev.24:10-16.Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair, like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively and thus enjoy considerable expertise in such matters, so I am confident you can help.
Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.
Your adoring fan.

brazospete

It is no difference whether you commit murder or just work on saturday the punishment is the same eternal damnation and yes there are degrees of Hell.The jews believe that society should put some people to death but fundamental Christians abhor violence (but all have sinned and fall short of the Glory of GOD) Judgement is forbidden. Without Righteousness it is impossible to please GOD. Righteousness comes by accepting Jesus as your Savior. You must accept His Forgiveness for your sin and recieve The Gift of Salvation Freely. Then you are reckoned by God to have Cleansed yourself of all Sin. You have traded your Death for LIFE Eternal and are a brand new Creature BY FAITH in THE NAME OF JESUS! By Faith in the NAME OF JESUS not by any works thay you have Done! If you continue down the Road to Salvation by Continuously confessing your sins to Jesus personally in Prayer You will have put on the HELMET OF SALVATION and have PASSED from Death unto ETERNAL LIFE and your NAME is in THE BOOK OF LIFE and Will be found there on Judgement Day. Alittle Child Can Accept this without question for they are Greatest in the Kingdom of God! If you wish to SEE FAITH look at a newborn BABY! "Wide is the Gate and Broad Is the WAY that leadeth to Destruction and many there be that go therein because Strait is The Gate and Narrow is the way that leadeth to Eternal Life and FEW THERE BE THAT FIND IT" Emphamis mine ....... Any Questions?

Last edited:

brazospete

Oh and you must get baptised and make a public profession of faith preferably before witnesses. It's not that complicated and take me for an example you may fall off the path and go wandering in sin for a while and as long as the DOOR of SALVATION remains open as it has lo these many centuries you can REPENT and confess to Jesus and become a Brand new Creature again in hardly more than a minute. Here's a little hint if you habitually commit adultery you probably will commit adultery again and again but if each time you look on a woman to lust after her in your heart you ask Jesus Forgiveness He WILL Forgive You and once again you will be the Righteousness of God in Christ until you sin again. Warning if you practice Christianity sin becomes exceeding sinful to you it is the Gift of GOD and you will find yourself not WANTING to sin.

brazospete

That's the Gospel according to Dennis and it's WORTH every minute of the rest of your LIFE and if you do it God adopts you as HIS OWN SON AND YOU SPEND ETERNITY IN HEAVEN in JOY UNSPEAKABLE AND FULL OF GLORY! If not it's eternal damnation! You Choose ! That's the freewill part.

brazospete

Redirect Broad is ths Gate and Wide is the way,I got it backwreds on my only quotation. About Killing your neighbor! When you are in Christ You are no longer under the LAW. The Law is good and Right and Just and will Never Change,BUT You are no Longer under the LAW but under GRACE! Like a man who marrys is bound by an oath to the woman for as long as they Both live! That's the LAW,but if your spouse dies you are released from your vow and may take another woman as your wife without sin. If you are a JEW you are under the law OLD TESTAMENT. In the New Testament YOU are considered DEAD to the LAW and therefore not Under THE CURSE of the LAW, by Faith are you saved and that not of yourself it is the Gift of GOD. JESUS is the difference! HE did what you could not (lived sinlessly) and then He took YOUR PUNISHMENT (SHAME AND DEATH) so HE could give you HIS Life Eternal LIFE. Don't let anybody put you back under the LAW. Touch not Taste Not because you will bitterly fail BITTERLY I ASSURE YOU! At this point you should seek The advice of a very happy looking christian but remember some christians advance to a certain point and then remain static for the rest of their life. You Must SEEK JESUS by study of the WORD! THE WORD IS exactly the same as JESUS,HE IS THE WORD! I read KJV I have never read very much in the newer translations and Trust KJV as the WORD that saved my soul! I believe GOD can save your soul without the printed page but if you can I believe you should go directly to the WORD because all men are flawed and not always in the SPIRIT and there are WOLVES in sheeps clothing.

brazospete

Its a sacrament something you discover by STUDY! Also the living can be baptised FOR someone who has Died! I didn't know that until I became worried that I might die before I could get baptised I put it off for DECADES and then late at night I got This Terrific PAIN in my Chest and Arm and it dawned on me I might not be ABLE to get baptised in TIME. I suggest SWIFT baptism! But You can ask someone to be Baptised in your stead. Even after your death but I think it would be better to do it yourself.

SShepherd

If baptism were required for salvation then there would be references to baptism with each salvation call. For example, Peter makes reference to baptism in Acts 2:38, yet he makes no reference to it in Acts 3:12-26. Instead he refers to sin and forgiveness in Christ for salvation. Paul never made water baptism part of the salvation message. He even emphasizes in 1 Corinthians 1:17 that he was sent to preach the gospel and does not mention baptism.

In addition, take notice to the people who were not baptized, yet they were called saved. The Penitent woman in Luke 7:37-50, the paralytic in Matthew 9:2, the Publican Luke 18:13-14 and the thief on the Cross Luke 23:39-43. In Acts 10:44-48 Cornelius is noted as being saved and then he is called to be baptized. Also note “there is no indication that the apostles themselves had been baptized with water”[2] And to be reminded Jesus was baptized probably to authenticate John’s baptism, but He did not need to be saved.

Other passages that may seem to make reference to baptism being necessary must be examined within its context as well as its language. For example, “Mark 16:16, a verse often quoted to prove baptism is necessary for salvation, is actually a proof of the opposite. Notice that the basis for condemnation in that verse is not the failure to be baptized, but only the failure to believe. Baptism is mentioned in the first part of the verse because it was the outward symbol that always accompanied the inward belief.”[3]

Therefore, baptism is an associated mark of a Christian, it is known as a picture of the redemptive work of God. However baptism is not required for salvation. It is faith through grace that is associated with salvation. “For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God” (Ephesians 2:8-9).

Requiring anything in addition to faith in Jesus Christ for salvation is a works-based salvation. To add anything to the gospel is to say that Jesus' death on the cross was not sufficient to purchase our salvation. To say we must be baptized in order to be saved is to say we must add our own good works and obedience to Christ's death in order to make it sufficient for salvation. Jesus' death alone paid for our sins (Romans 5:8; 2 Corinthians 5:21). Jesus' payment for our sins is appropriated to our “account” by faith alone (John 3:16; Acts 16:31; Ephesians 2:8-9). Therefore, baptism is an important step of obedience after salvation but cannot be a requirement for salvation

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
What happens if you turn out the lights and the party is over?

Just darkness....

Kinda gets one wondering some times on who has the right lightbulb......

brazospete

I have given some thought to the consequences of being wrong about GOD not existing and all that I have experienced being in error and have come to this conclusion. If I die today and never reawaken I have lost NOTHING! The JOY that I derive from fellowship with the Body of Christ is reward enough for me. The Awe and Wonder I have found in the WORD is a treasure I would not trade for the world and all its fixtures. The excellent wisdom and unerring correctness of the Word is uncovered in layer after layer of hidden secrets lying in plain sight revealed to the seeker in incredible timeliness at the exact instant of greatest need! I answer people who say they don't understand the Bible like this. The Word is a seed! If planted in a willing heart it will take root and in Time if care is given to not letting it be choked out by cares of this world and selfishness it will bear fruit and Illumination results. I don't parse and examine each verse. I devour chapters and books. I nibbled at the Word for decades and then at the right time for me I got Born Again. There is great confusion about the Born Again experience but I think that somewhat results from the Fact that no 2 people are the same and some are pretenders! For me it was a discovery of a small group of SEEKERS GOD led me to and the discovery that they had something wonderful and were eager to help me recieve the same gift from GOD! I got GOOD training from the Holy Spirit working thru those wonderful people and It began a Process in me that I can only call a miracle! I learned to LET Go and LET GOD! I am just a little lost sheep but I have learned to follow where the SHEPHERD leads. I am a STUBBORN person I don't think that's a particularly good trait but at this point I have accepted the fact of it. At first I was given a gift of hunger not for Food but for The WORD. It was a Bad winter and my work was often interrupted by weather. I began in Genesis and was careful to read every word even the names(I even tried to pronounce the names). I read all day until late at night and slept and rolled over and began reading again, I cooked,ate, went to the bathroom and literally consumed the word for months I took it with me everywhere I went and read at every opportunity. This went on day after day,week after week. Spring came and I returned to full time work but the reading continued with reduced volume until I came to Revelations. My wife and I had been services at a small storefront church called The Way,Truth and Life

mak2

I dont think one has to be baptised either. But I dont think we answered Shushi's question.

I truly believe it would be a sin for me to be an unrepentant homosexual. I would go to hell for it if I died in such a condition. I am a Christian and try to think about how Jesus thought about stuff. I dont know if some people are born homosexuals and dont really see the importance of my opinion on the subject. I think it is far, far more important to err, for others, on the side of tolerance.

I know Jesus was not for slavery, or being kosher, or selling my daughters or the other things this rebutal atheist often use (I have seen this many times) to demonstrate the errors of our holy Bible. I have faith, that is all I need.

brazospete

Brother Roy was the pastor and this was his first attempt to answer what he thought was a Calling! I thought he might have a Great career as a tv evangelist (shows what I know). Well when we first started attending it was a small group no more than 25 or 30 people and the group was growing at first slowly then more and more. Well as these things go the discussion turned from JESUS to what the Church should do then Whose Church it was and then Who was going on with the Lord and Who wasn't! Well I was nuetral until Brother Ed (My good freind) was excommunicated along with several other singles who as far as I could tell hadn't even been involved in the discussions the older folks were up in arms about. I had heard good things about a disorganised fellowship that met at a local park community center. We caught those People twice once at the park and once at an old church in View Tx 30 miles from abilene. They sure could sing but were impossible to locate!

brazospete

You guys are talking about the LAW! Jesus instructed people to OBEY the law! Render unto Ceasar what is Ceasars. Obey whatever the law is unless it restricts service to God or requires Worship of Idols or the breaking of a commandment. He instructed slaves to serve their masters with good will and masters to be fair to their servants. Joseph started out as a slave in Egypt and rose to be Ruler second only to Pharoah. I don't think God is limited by the circumstances we find ourselves in and is able to succor us in any circumstance! As far as Homosexuals go the bible says because they did not like to keep God in their consciousness He gave them over to an unclean spirit that they should defile their own body recieving in themselves that just recompence that is meet! The law (now) says consenting adults can live any way they wish but I don't think they can go to heaven(without repenting) no matter what man's law says.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
popcorn%20drama.gif

brazospete

We are discussing Minimum requirements for salvation Right? I mean after you are Born of the Spirit there is More to christianity than lying on your back and crying to be fed (Though if that's all you CAN do I don't think God would condemn you) After conversion Christians have cheerfully suffered torture and DEATH rather than deny Jesus! This kind of faith does not just appear. Living the life of a christian is a Process of growing nearer and nearer to the IMAGE of JESUS! This process may take your whole life or you might be called home at any time but if you live you will have many choices to make.

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
We are discussing Minimum requirements for salvation Right? I mean after you are Born of the Spirit there is More to christianity than lying on your back and crying to be fed (Though if that's all you CAN do I don't think God would condemn you) After conversion Christians have cheerfully suffered torture and DEATH rather than deny Jesus! This kind of faith does not just appear. Living the life of a christian is a Process of growing nearer and nearer to the IMAGE of JESUS! This process may take your whole life or you might be called home at any time but if you live you will have many choices to make.

Whatchu think about Catholocism?

brazospete

If you believe it is not necessary to be baptised I have no problem with that (Hope it works out for you). Tell me if you would. What are your beliefs concerning the MARK of the BEAST? Do you believe it is necessary to resist taking this MARK? Do you believe the MARK will be demanded? Do you think people are already taking the MARK?

brazospete

Catholicism? I believe the Body of Christ is distributed among ALL of the Organised Religions and soon will be forced to come out of them(The Last Days) because The Beast and the Antichrist and the False Prophet will assume control when the Church is combined with the Government to become the One World Government/Church. True Believers know who their SAVIOR is and will not follow another! There are believers in the Jewish and Muslim religions as well I believe. These are exciting times we live in! We are seeing Prophesy being fulfilled and Witnessing the groundwork being laid for the very last Prophesies to be fulfilled! Currency Must be done away with and replaced with a cashless economy! This could never have been accomplished without electronic transactions before Now the Mark of the Beast was impossible to enforce. The Bible says there will come a great falling away and only True Believers will Claim Christianity when most men will think they do GOD a service when they kill us! They will hunt anyone without the Mark!

SShepherd

If you believe it is not necessary to be baptised I have no problem with that (Hope it works out for you). Tell me if you would. What are your beliefs concerning the MARK of the BEAST? Do you believe it is necessary to resist taking this MARK? Do you believe the MARK will be demanded? Do you think people are already taking the MARK?

honestly, that comment is a nice way of saying "you're an idiot"- not becoming of you

I gave you references a to why and how-- which you gave none to back up your beliefs.

All I'm going to say any further on this is beware of false teachings.

Have a nice day and a merry Xmass.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Settle down Pete.
If one believes, they have a good chance of getting into Heaven.
Doesn't matter if you were sprinkled and sang the Lord's praises.
Baptism happens shortly after birth for some, and well into the latter stages of life for others.
Some don't receive the sacrament at all.
If you think the sweet Lord Jesus is selective, I have some news for you my friend.
He loved and still loves ALL people no matter what they believe or how they conduct their lives.
He's a physician for the needy and lost--the common man, not a home boy for those who think they have a reserved special place in his crib.
Merry Christmas. :D

brazospete

My mother described baptism as a water burial, Just as Jesus died and was buried and the third day Rose again,you likewise Symbolically Die to Self and are buried in the water and the coming up from the water symbolises Your Ressurection in CHRIST! You should consider yourself Dead to Sin but alive to the SPIRIT! The Body is death(dead) because of Righteousness but the Spirit in you is Life in CHRIST. It's just TOO BEAUTIFUL! just too perfect! Read the WORD ! tHE WHOLE WORD IS BEAUTIFUL! It agrees with itself over and over. It tells a story that CANT be prooved FALSE! It was told from beginning to END!! It's Happening NOW! If I wasn't already saved I would turn giter done to goter did! JIM BAKKER I BOUGHT A $15 bible FROM HIM ! MWAA HA HA HA HA !

brazospete

Yup That's me MANSION on a street of GOLD In the City of THE GREAT KING!!! PLACE AT THE TABLE YUP THAT"S ME !!!!!!!!!!! HOME BOY!!! yup that's me singing praises! THANK YOU JESUS!!! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

brazospete

I go to prepare a place for you and if I go and prepare a place for you I will surely come again that where I AM there ye may be also.

brazospete

I am very sorry if I offended You SShepherd I assure you I have been this way all my life and its caused me no end of trouble!