• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

CJ-6 USAF Snowcat

couchloafer

SUPER Site Supporter
Anybody see this on ebay? This thing is only 30 miles from my house and I would be happy to pick it up and store it for anyone interested.

This awsome rig is one of only 26 made for the USAF Survival School training program. It's basically a 56 Willys CJ-6 Jeep chassis mated to a modified track assembly of a similar vintage Thiokol snowcat! The stock Jeep powertrain (Willys F134-4 cylinder, T-90 3 speed tranny, Dana 18 2 speed transfer case) drives the rear 3 speed drop-hub snowcat axle in a very simple but ingenious configuration. Even the stock steering was retained in a cable/pulley system that turns this beast on a dime with a fraction of the effort than usually needed with a normal twin-stick brake-steer design! The original jeep service brake also is used in this conversion so you literally "drive" it like a normal Jeep. It's not very fast (25mph tops), but it has lots of geared power and will climb & pull about anything! The tracks are 30" wide and the overall dimensions are 14ft.-6in. long, 8ft. wide, and about 7ft.-10in.tall. It weighs just under 6K and the center of gravity is surprisingly low and the pivot point ballance is about dead center. The suspension utilizes the stock front and rear Jeep springs and the give of the air filled bogie wheels, so the ride's kinda stiff on the hard pan (like a typical snowcat) but is very smooth once out in the white. There's no rust anywhere and the cab & cargo area are very clean and nicely done (nice seats and a good heater). It's running on a 12V system (looks like a new alternator!) and has the stock Jeep fuel tank with two extra tanks in the rear. All the mechanical drive components are in good condition and perfect working order, the track belting and grousers are in great condition, but the engine is tired. It stars up and runs and pulls great with good oil pressure at warm idle, but it smokes and burns about a quart of oil every trip up & down the mountain. It's probably due for a rebuild. The retired gent I'm listing this cool machine for used it to travel the 35 miles to his snowed-in cabin and really loved it, but he's "get'en too old" to use it any more. He never bothered to get any paperwork for it so it has no title, but will come with a notorized bill-of-sale. This is a really unique, useful vehicle that's in pretty decent condition and would be great for snow camps or remote winter locations! You need this!!!

This vehicle is being sold "as is". If you want or need anymore pics...just ask! I can arrange transportation and/or storage for this vehicle if you need it. You can contact me in person toll free at 888-411-6696 between 10am-6pm PST if you have any questions. Because of bad past experiences, if you have less than 10 positive eBay feedbacks, you'll have to call me first or I'll have to cancel your bid. Sorry, but since I'm listing this for someone else, I'd hate to waste his time and money. Thanks for understanding and good luck bidding!!! Army Dave

s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
Select a picture
d5b8_1.JPG

aksnocat

Art Seely at Safety One had one of these for sale (maybe this one) for several years. Looks like an interesting rig.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
MTNTOPPER has been bidding on it so I will bow out. I never bid anyway until the last minute. Cant wait to see what he does with her!

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
I placed my max bid and it was about $300.00 to low on my auto bid program. It was won by someone else. I really did not want to pay that much anyway. Another time and another snow cat down the road. :thumb: At least I made someone else pay for it and the old man who owns it can have more money for his future health care. :thumb: