• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Garden planning

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Anyone started planning yet? Anyone actually have any seeds started?

I figure another four weeks or so before I need to get tomatoes and peppers started in the basement.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Anyone started planning yet? Anyone actually have any seeds started?

I figure another four weeks or so before I need to get tomatoes and peppers started in the basement.

Will that give you enough time to harvest all the Pot ???? I know .... For medical reasons only :yum:

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
My garden will be bigger this coming year. I got it all dug up but never got to measure it before the snow came. So I can do some planning not much. I know where I am getting my seed or have it ordered already.

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
Even though I do a lot of gardening, the planning is all in my head. Am still in ND, heading south next week, once down there it gets serious with the order of about 8-10 thousand onions and the seed and supply orders. When we get back, I will order a 28 X 96 cold frame, a project that I have been meaning to do for the last two years. This will enable me to get a head start on sales of tomatoes and peppers.

Will have to be back by the 15th of March to get the green house going for the transplants.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
I am planning to build raised beds this year, probably four 4'x12' beds.

Also thinking about trying asparagus for next year. I love steamed asparagus.

Other than that, probably just the usual tomatoes, bell peppers, Hungarian & banana peppers, jalapenos, green beans, peas, onions.

I'll probably have room for more, just haven't decided.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
My garden will be bigger this coming year. I got it all dug up but never got to measure it before the snow came. So I can do some planning not much. I know where I am getting my seed or have it ordered already.

Where do you get your seeds? I was thinking of Gurney's but if you have someplace better, I'd be willing to try.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I use to buy from Gurneys. Not a bad place just have to watch them as for when they say they will ship or not. And if you place an order and want to change quantities even adding it is a pain, well can't be done. So I ended up with some extra shipping charges.

I found a local guy here in town. A tad bit more expensive than Gurneys, but don't have to pay the freight and had good luck with all of the seeds last year. But he doesn't have the variety of stuff Gurneys has.

Treefriend

Banned
No way. Here we can't start anything before March. I got duped two years ago

by a warming trend in mid-Feb so I started seeds indoors...that was the year

it snowed in April. Everything croaked and I had to start over. But I am

prepping the ground.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
It was warm and sunny out today. I put some plastic down to try and cook off the current weed patch. I'm planning on fencing in a new 32x16 patch this year. Gotta fence everything in or the antlered rats eat it all. :rolleyes:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Wife ordered up a couple hundred $$$$ worth of seed from Gurney's to take to Panama to plant when we finally return . I don't know when that will be now but we were set up to leave March 1 st .. They do well down there if we can keep the Crabs from getting to the young plants . We plan to also do "raised" well draining beds with screened bottoms to keep the crabs out . We took down beans and they grew like crazy . Hard to find seed in Panama . I also plan to start raising chickens so the guys will have a good source of chicken manure to use as fertilizer .

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
No, I haven't done any planning yet. I've flicked through a couple of catalogues but that's all. I've got 3 big bales of hay positioned and ready to spread out. It worked so well last year that I'm going to try it again. I probably won't plant as much this year, the same area but not quite so close together.

I'll get started as soon as I finish my fencing project. I pulled 8 rotted out, insect eaten wooden posts and ripped off all the boards. I set the new posts and reused some of the old, good lumber. I went to my usual lumber yard to get the new fencing lumber and they've gone out of business. Now I can't find any 1" x 6" x 16' fencing lumber. I've literally spent days making phone calls and running all over the county and still nothing. If I'd know that I was going to have this much trouble, I wouldn't have ripped it down the old one in the first place. Ah yes I would. It was looking ugly but I've got to get this, the first part of my winter fencing project done before I start to think about the veggie garden. Well, Monday starts a new week and more phone calls.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
My usual.
Wildflowers and herbs beside the shed, and some potted stuff on the patio.
I've thought about starting an herb/rock garden this year, and possibly starting some seed indoors for tomatoes, peppers and onions.
The ground and weather here is so iffy, so it'll be a whatever kind of thing.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Mine is froze hard as a brick right now. I have been waiting for a break in the weather to put the roof on the greenhouse. Wife has already told me to make it smaller than other years. I would like to plant more corn and just stagger the start a little better so we don't have so much coming at once.

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
no garden for me this year. dont have the yardspace at my current location. but i have already drawn up plans for a nice big one when i get meself a house. prefferable on a nice big plot of land

mak2

I have about a half acre of flat back yard that would make a great garden except for one detail. It floods about 3 times a year. I am not talking standing water, I am talking about 500 lbs stumps and torn out fencing flooding, rail road ties etc wash up in the back yard. anything that would be flood resistant, that would not float away if I plant it in a flood prone area?

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
I have about a half acre of flat back yard that would make a great garden except for one detail. It floods about 3 times a year. I am not talking standing water, I am talking about 500 lbs stumps and torn out fencing flooding, rail road ties etc wash up in the back yard. anything that would be flood resistant, that would not float away if I plant it in a flood prone area?

Rice.

Treefriend

Banned
As a side note, could someone please start a thread about craigslist flakes? Thanks.

I am going to build a little starter greenhouse in the back yard and I found

a few ads on craigslist by people selling their old glass...windows, doors,

table tops...any large piece will do...so I contact them and they do not

respond.

This has happened a few times. A week later you get an e-mail "Oh, yeah, it's still available,

come on by." What? Never mind, loser, I already found it some place else.

Crapola. If you are trying to sell something on craigslist and your only

contact info is e-mail...CHECK YOUR ####### EMAIL ONCE IN A WHILE, MORON!!!

***end rant***

That said, I have found a lot of great deals on craigslist. Most recently

a great all weather tent in new condition for $275 less than retail.

Glenn9643

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dave, asparagus takes a couple of years to really start producing enough to cut so plan your space so you can leave it for a long time.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Dave, asparagus takes a couple of years to really start producing enough to cut so plan your space so you can leave it for a long time.

Yes, Gurney's has three year old crowns, so if I plant this year, they should produce next year.