• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Anchor

daedong

I had a lazy day and built my anchor.
[FONT=&quot]Will it work, that is the $64 question? I copied it from this website. http://www.anchorright.net/index.php?id=aus
Anchor2.jpg

[/FONT]

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
It will work if you use a long amount of line in relation to the depth of the water because of the shallow angle between the fluke and the shaft.

I've never seen quite that design but there are some similar ones that have a pivot between the fluke and the shaft and they are a litttle more versitile.

In any case, more line makes any anchor hold better. A ratio of 7 times the depth of the water is recomended for most production anchors.

Good job !!!!

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Just don't get it wet............. or at least not until you take the welding cable off of it.... :yankchain:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
pixie said:
It will work if you use a long amount of line in relation to the depth of the water because of the shallow angle between the fluke and the shaft.

I've never seen quite that design but there are some similar ones that have a pivot between the fluke and the shaft and they are a litttle more versitile.

In any case, more line makes any anchor hold better. A ratio of 7 times the depth of the water is recomended for most production anchors.

Good job !!!!
Pixie I was thinking along the same lines. I'd guess that anchor would need a longer lead than 7x due to the fluke angle. It looks like a modified/fixed fluke version of the classic Danforth anchor but with this one has what appear to be 'hoops' on the back and I'm not sure what that is for?

Vin, did they say if that anchor is for sandy bottoms only? It doesn't look like a shape that would be condusive to rocky bottoms.

daedong

product_anchors.gif

spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
SARCA (Sand and Rock Combination Anchor)

SARCA anchors are designed in Australia and manufactured in Australia and New Zealand using top-quality 316 stainless steel or mild steel which has been hot-dip galvanized. The patented design is unique and revolutionary, offering superb holding power on a variety of bottom types including mud, sand, gravel and rock, eliminating the need to carry two or more anchors to do the same job!

SARCA's unique design makes it both safer and easier to use. The penetrating ability and holding power of the SARCA has to be experienced to be believed.
spacer.gif
Features: Hoop on the rear of the anchor ensures that the SARCA rolls over in most situations, allowing the toe to be in its best possible position to penetrate the ocean floor and reducing dragging as the fluke digs in
No more chain tangled around and between the flukes preventing the anchor from taking hold. SARCA's unique tangle-resistant design improves anchor efficiency and safety
Unique design also creates a pumping action which sinks the anchor deeper. Teamed with the SARCA's 360° pivoting action, this makes the SARCA resistant to wind and tide changes
Incorporates an automatic reset trip re-release that offers you the highest rate of recovery from rocks. When anchoring in and around bommies, reef or coral the SARCA has less chance of getting stuck and will create less damage to the environment
Light in weight , easy to handle and contains no lead in the design to contaminate the marine environment
Certified as high holding power anchors by the Victorian Marine Board and MSA witnessed by Loylds of London to comply with the USL code; a testament to their efficiency
Available in top-quality 316 stainless steel or hot-dip galvanized mild steel

Easy to use on all bottom types:
Mud or sand
1. Come directly above the SARCA and apply light and stead pressure.
2. The SARCA's special slots allow a break in suction which, couple with a long shank, means the SARCA is easy to free.

Rock or Reef
1. Simply motor directly above and pull all the slack rope. Then release approximately ½ metre of rope and tie off.
2. Motor your boat forward over the anchor. This lifts the rear resulting in a high recovering rate.
3. The moment the anchor releases, the stainless steel D-shackle slides to the front of the anchors' shank and resets.

Check out the range of SARCA anchor sizes and specifications by clicking on a product ?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Very interesting, with the long slot in the shank I figured it was for recovery, but I've never seen one like that with the hoops on the rear. I used to sail when I was younger (and hope to again) as still subscribe alternately to SAIL and Cruising World magazines and have never seen that design. Very innovative!

daedong

[FONT=&quot]I only realized after welding it all up how critical the design is for it to function properly. The hoop at the back allows it to roll over. Ha but it won’t roll if it is too heavy on the shank side of center, hence if you look at my pic you can see how I have cut some out with a hole saw to lighten that side of center, I am also going to try today and add some weight on the other side, probably only a few ounces. Also I see in the original that there is a little circular piece at the end of the shank, I am starting to think this is so the D shackle can’t slid back on the wrong side of the shank. [/FONT]

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Vin,

Fill your bathtub with water, back up about 10' and toss it in to see what it does. I would propose this done when Mrs. Vin isn't around... :hide:

kensfarm

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Hmmm.. when people start making there own anchors.. you usually see them on TV just about the time there wife turns up missing! At least they're not concrete anchors...