Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Agriculture & DIY Forums > Lawn, Garden, Plants & Trees Forum

Old 06-26-2006, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,086 Times in 951 Posts
bczoom will become famous soon enoughbczoom will become famous soon enough
Style: T66
Default Re: Chain Saw Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy1
I see a lot of good words on Husqvarna yet, but they have some questionable things at the farm stores around here. Just not sure where the Jonsered will fit the line-up; hope they have some good ones yet though.
I'm not sure if the new Jonsered are the same quality they used to be. I would "think" they're about the same as the Husky's but not sure if their between, equal or better than the Husky professional series. The old ones are heavy but can't be beat. Murph - I would try to fix it if the $ is within reason.

If you're looking at a Husky, don't even bother with the farm stores. Most sell the bottom line Husky's. If you want something to compare to (or beat) the Stihl's, go with their professional series. I have a little one that packs over 2.5HP but weighs less than a gallon of milk. My big one is heavier but when you have 5HP hitting the wood, the wood chips are flying so fast, you don't notice the weight.

PS. I'm Husky/Stihl neutral at this point. All I know is everything I buy from now on will be one of the 2 (no more 2nd string stuff). I've been leaning towards Stihl for non-chainsaws as I think they're a little better but for a chainsaw, I call it a draw (based on price, service...).
Old 06-26-2006, 09:11 PM
Large Member

Big Dog has a spectacular aura aboutBig Dog has a spectacular aura about

FYI.............. Jonsered's (1954) been making chainsaws longer than Husky (1959) and are as good or better. Stihl made the first chainsaw (1926) and Homelite (1949) is purported to have made the first one-man chainsaw.

"No law ever prevented a crime" ...........

The MLR (Men's Locker Room) is now open! PM Big Dog for access ....

Old 06-29-2006, 06:18 AM
Gone Flyin'

Av8r3400 will become famous soon enough

*Bimp*

Okay, I've got it narrowed down to the Stihl MS250 or MS290 Farm Boss. They are both 16" bar saws. The 250 is smaller/lighter at 10# and the 290 Farm Boss is bigger and heavier (13#) with a more powerful motor.

Thoughts or comments??

I'd rather die trying to live,
than live trying not to die.

-Leonard Perry
Old 06-29-2006, 09:08 AM
Bronze Member

buckle97 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8r3400
Okay, I've got it narrowed down to the Stihl MS250 or MS290 Farm Boss. They are both 16" bar saws.
I run a 20" bar on my MS290 and a sharp chain is like a knife through butter. If you think you will ever want a longer bar, I would go with the 290.

Lawrence
Old 06-29-2006, 11:07 AM
Huh?

Spiffy1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckle97
I run a 20" bar on my MS290 and a sharp chain is like a knife through butter. If you think you will ever want a longer bar, I would go with the 290.

Lawrence
I'd always been convinced that around a 20" bar and the most HP you could afford &/or lift comfortably was the right combination as a "do everything"; but that little 200 just amazes me, it's so light and manuverable as well as powerful [though the 16" does top it out] there's not much it can't do. Though as an aborist saw, it's designed for power to weight ratio [and you pay $$$ for that ], so not a fair comparison.

Of course, that 290 still might be the right choice. I've never owned one, but known several owners and used a few of the old "farmboss" (029 I think): it was a tough saw and very capable [though I thought just a bit heavy feeling compared to the cheaper saw I used for the last 5 or 10 years]; I presume the 290 follows well.

Anyway, I quess the lesson is see what feels right first of all - especially if they'll let you put it in a log too.

Finally between the two you're looking at, I would choose the 290 over the 250 only because, I'm just not sure what consessions are made in the "homeowner" line vs. the midrange. The 270 might be a great compromise too just on weight and HP, but I know nothing about it.

Good luck!
Old 06-29-2006, 11:54 AM
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dog
FYI.............. Jonsered's (1954) been making chainsaws longer than Husky (1959) and are as good or better. Stihl made the first chainsaw (1926) and Homelite (1949) is purported to have made the first one-man chainsaw.
I don't doubt that of either one made or still makes good saws, but am curious whether Electrolux will maintain competing lines, or if they have a niche planned for each name. I guess the good news for Husky and Jonsered fans is that the Poulan "Wild-Thing" probably already tells you where the low end is!
Old 06-29-2006, 12:10 PM
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bczoom
PS. I'm Husky/Stihl neutral at this point. All I know is everything I buy from now on will be one of the 2 (no more 2nd string stuff). I've been leaning towards Stihl for non-chainsaws as I think they're a little better but for a chainsaw, I call it a draw (based on price, service...).
I have been very pleased with the Stihl FS80 brush cutter we use as a trimmer around the farm.

Around here, I know of at least one good Stihl dealer, so I take that route; I mostly see Husky in the farm stores [though at least one, more or less, has a full line dealership inside]. Judging from the online stores, I think you might get a bit [on average] more HP/weight per dollar with the Husky over a Stihl. But then what they feel like in use may be different, so I really don't know which is better.

Guess, [barring any shining stars or lemons each line might have - well out of my knowledge] it comes down to the local dealerships on which is the right choice.