• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Squeaky Fromme -Soon A Free Bird

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
squeaky080509.jpg
One of Charles Manson's most loyal followers, Lynette "Squeaky" Fromme, 60, is set to be released from prison on August 16, after serving 34 years of a life sentence for pointing a gun at then-President Ford in 1975.
According to CNN, a spokeswoman at the Federal Medical Center at Carswell, Texas—where Fromme has been housed—wouldn't say whether or not she continues to correspond with Manson, although in a 1987 interview [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-fJGxTfeqI&feature=related"]interview[/ame],

Fromme was still an avid supporter of, and in contact with, the convicted murderer, saying he was "a once-in-a-lifetime soul…He's got more heart and spirit than anyone I've ever met."
In 1969—at the cusp of second-wave feminism—Fromme and the other female members of the Manson family challenged the public's widely-held stereotypes of female behavior, helping to debunk the idea that women are, by nature, nurturing and delicate creatures. On the other hand, the fact that they did so by blindly and wholeheartedly following the orders of a man sort of canceled out any "progress" in gender politics.
Fromme was perhaps the perfect representation of the dichotomous disposition of the Manson family members: free love, at-one-with-nature types with sociopathic, violent tendencies. In September 1975, Fromme went to Sacramento's Capitol Park, where she heard President Ford would be, in an attempt to plead with him about the plight of the California redwoods. She approached him about her environmental concerns, armed with a .45 Colt semi-automatic pistol. She pointed it at him, but never fired.
She was convicted of attempted assassination of the president, which requires a maximum sentence of life in prison, with the possibility of parole. Fromme was first eligible for parole in 1985, but reportedly waived her right for a hearing, and remained in prison.
In 1987, she escaped from the Alderson Federal Prison Camp in West Virginia, after she learned that Manson had testicular cancer. She was attempting to meet up with him, but was captured two days later. That breakout came back to bite her in the ass when she was actually granted parole in July 2008, but was forced to serve extra time for the infraction.
After 34 Years, Lynette 'Squeaky' Fromme To Be Released [CNN]

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Well, She's done Her time according to Our justice system . Good luck to Her . Hopefully She won't move onto the property next door . If She does , I'll quit buying Fords as to not set Her off :)

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Man she was one weird bird.

I was living in Sacramento back then, when the newspapers were full of Manson crimes stuff and they mentioned that Fromme and another girl were living in Sacramento to be near Manson in Folsom Prison.

I turned into an aisle in a student (and hippie)-district supermarket, and came face to face with her and another girl in matching genuine blood-dyed red robes - about the same couture as a KKK robe. Both had backward swastikas carved into their foreheads as I recall. I was instinctively scared out of my wits and backed out of that aisle. Pure evil, in the form of two young girls. My impression at the moment was they were both severely brain damaged from LSD. And literally might kill anyone instantly who got in their way. (Considering what Manson had done this is not overstating the case).

This was only a few days before she attempted the assassination of President Ford.

The accounts I've seen today omitted what I thought was an important element of the story. A day before the attempted shooting she went to visit a military firearms collector who apparently was sympathetic to Manson, and borrowed the Colt 45. She apparently didn't understand his instructions how to use it because she never chambered a round. After attempting her shot the first thing she said was "It didn't go off!!"

The collector was investigated but never faced charges. I don't think anyone knows if he intended to assist in a presidential assassination, but the blank-eyed crazy look in her eyes that day in the supermarket would have made most people refuse to arm her. Especially with a concealed holster with straps around her thigh under that insane robe. And after the President was announced to visit town.

And a little trivia - yesterday I commented about that parking garage elevator near the State Capitol. Fromme attempted her assassination just after Ford crossed the street there.

Sacramento Bee: Fromme history, and present parole