• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Government Motors / Omamma Motors, either way YOU lose!

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
This is a quote, but I agree with it "With the federal government emerging from the GM bailout owning 60% of the company, the new GM will be run by the politics of the Obama Administration, not economics. That means it will be run to serve the interests of the UAW and the environmentalist groups that are major players in Obama’s political coalition, not consumers."

The rest of this accurate and thoughtful article may be seen here With Government Motors, YOU lose. I don't know how to post the body of the relatively brief article in this post or I'd do it.

PETER FERRARA: GM’s Bankruptcy — YOU Are the Biggest Loser

By Peter Ferrara
Director of Entitlement and Budget Policy, Institute for Policy Innovation/General Counsel, American Civil Rights Union

With the federal government emerging from the GM bailout owning 60% of the company, the new GM will be run by the politics of the Obama Administration, not economics. That means it will be run to serve the interests of the UAW and the environmentalist groups that are major players in Obama’s political coalition, not consumers.
Taxpayers will just get the bill. And don’t expect that to end with the $50 billion the Feds have already committed to the company (apparently without legal authorization, Congress approved TARP funds for banks, remember?).
—————
Take good care of those big, powerful, luxurious cars you are driving now. They are going to be worth a lot more on the resale market than you thought.
—————
The new politically driven GM will never return to profitability, and will stay alive only with a permanent taxpayer pipeline.
Already the UAW has rightly bragged that its workers have given up nothing in wages and health and pension benefits. And who is going to say no to UAW demands at the next contract negotiation? The politicians in Washington?
They will just send the bill to the taxpayers again, hoping they won’t notice. Are you going to oppose a good deal for the working people of Detroit?
But even worse, far worse, is what is happening to consumers. What the Obama car czars have hatched in the GM and Chrysler bailouts is a major decline in the standard of living for the middle class.
Gone will be the big, spacious, powerful, luxurious cars Americans drive now. In their place, Americans will be allowed to choose only among weak, tiny, matchbox cars like those now driven by the European working class. This is what the environmentalist groups are exacting from the auto bailouts in return for taxpayer funds.
Do you think any auto executive is going to dare promote production of a big new SUV like the Cadillac Escalade in this political environment? Forget about it. What is in now is that hot Fiat “technology” we have heard Washington lusting over. Have you ever seen a Fiat? It is what makes Mercedes so legendary in Europe.
American consumers would never choose to buy the tiny, two door, Sierra Club cars we are now going to see out of Detroit. But the Obama plan is not to allow them a choice. That is what the new 39 mpg CAFÉ standard is all about. That doesn’t mean your next SUV is going to get 39 mpg, dummy. It means your next car will look like it is competing with a John Deere lawnmower.
Closing the deal will be the new cap-and-trade taxes Democrats are now ramming through Congress. Those taxes will impose massive penalties on anything but Detroit’s new Fred Flintstone cars designed by the Environmental Defense Fund. So will the $5 per gallon gas we are going to see because the Obama administration is so busy shutting down new oil production.
Take good care of those big, powerful, luxurious cars you are driving now. They are going to be worth a lot more on the resale market than you thought.
Expect to see also the eventual rise of a new gold rush business in Americans flocking to Mexico and Canada to buy their new, big, powerful, luxurious cars there from foreign companies that will not produce or sell in America and not be subject to the CAFÉ standards. Take a vacation, buy a new car, drive it home. Maybe Disney will put its next Magic Kingdom in Toronto, who knows?
The next political battle will then be over attempts by the government to make driving all these big powerful cars, new and old, illegal in the U.S. Watch instead for a revolt by voters demanding repeal of the CAFÉ standards so consumers will be free to choose the cars they want.
As for the taxpayers, the sooner the plug is pulled on both GM and Chrysler, the better.
Peter Ferrara is Director of Entitlement and Budget Policy for the Institute for Policy Innovation, and General Counsel of the American Civil Rights Union. He served in the White House Office of Policy Development under President Reagan, and as Associate Deputy Attorney General of the United States under President George H.W. Bush.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bamby

I know I watch the History channel way, way to much. I've seen so much Hitler on there I could practically recite his total life's story. But what really is making me uncomfortable right now is the fact that whats going on in the current administration parallels it way to closely to suit me. Things currently are happening way to fast to suit me right at the moment. Can we live or survive nearly four more years of changes?

RedRocker

Way back when, I thought chapter 11 was the best way for GM to go. They could kick the UAW to the curb, get their ducks in a row, and move forward. I never dreamed the federal government would seize the company, fire the CEO and give part of it to the Union. I can't imagine that any of this is legal, especially taking auto dealerships from private owners without due process or compensation. Sieg Heil bro!

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Way back when, I thought chapter 11 was the best way for GM to go. They could kick the UAW to the curb,

Yes the UAW will own over 50% of Chrysler and about 35% of GM when this is all over with. A chance to get rid of what was killing both of them and they lost that chance. Ford well not sure what their future is. Going against two companies that will have unlimited funds will make it tough for them to survive.

Last edited:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Way back when, I thought chapter 11 was the best way for GM to go. They could kick the UAW to the curb, get their ducks in a row, and move forward. I never dreamed the federal government would seize the company, fire the CEO and give part of it to the Union. I can't imagine that any of this is legal, especially taking auto dealerships from private owners without due process or compensation. Sieg Heil bro!

I became really concerned about this happening when a guy I know, who works for a supplier but is UAW, explained to me that he was told that he WAS going to vote for Obama...or else! Now the extremely corrupt Obama is paying the UAW back at the expense of our country. This president is the most corrupt (and that's not an easy task) in the history of our country. The worst part is that he is totally and completely willing to destroy our country in order to continue his power trip as being "the leader of the free world".

Don't forget that Obama wants free health care for and to legalize all illegals in this country. Do you know how many votes that will secure on top of how many he just secured by giving a large part of our auto manufacturers to the UAW; not the people in the UAW, but to the UAW...there's a difference. No matter how much he destroys this country, he has nearly secured re-election when he counts in 95% of the black vote on top of the UAW and illegals who will be able to vote. That will give him enough security to come after the NRA full force.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
The game plan is to cram as much crap legislation as they can through before the people rebel. It is all geared toward buying votes for the Dem's.