• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Whump!

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
You know that sound as petrol goes up?

This morning I've been continuing (started 6 months ago) the rear hitch for the wheelhorse.
I was just making the part that sits under the seat pan that transfers the lift from the lift lever to the hitch (like the rocker arm on the 3ph).
To get at it I removed the seat pan, then removed the fuel tank. Inevitably when you remove the fuel tank some fuel drips on the floor, and all the fuel in the tube to the engine dribbles out onto the floor.

I spotted that a tack weld on one of the bushings had broken, figured I'd just tack it back on. Welding helmet down, I just touched the stick to the metal, the first spark flies,

WHUMP!

You know, you cant see fire through a shade 4 lens, you can when you lift it up though

Big fire, not the biggest I've seen, but not only is the puddle on the floor on fire, part of the tractor is too, and it appears there was a bit of vapour around too, because there is some fire floating around my feet too.

Fortunately, being a fuel fire, it was already burning out by the time I had decided between getting my phone out and taking a photo, and getting something to put it out. By the time I came back with a bucket of water there was only the tinyest flame on a lump of wood.

Quite lucky that the fuel tank, which I kicked away when I saw the fire, or the tyres, or me, didnt catch fire.

Just gunna finish my coffee, then go out and weld that bit back on, with NO fuel nearby!

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Fuel only goes bang when it is compressed, when it is an open space you hear a 'whump' when it ignites

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Mith said:
Fuel only goes bang when it is compressed, when it is an open space you hear a 'whump' when it ignites

The voice of experience. :yankchain:

daedong

Mith said:

If that tank had gone it would have gone BANG they don't need to be compressed to explode.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
BoneheadNW said:
Damn it Mith! Don't blow youself up! If you do, can I move into your place!
Bonehead

If you DO blow yourself up, please make sure you get pictures.

:nopics:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I think we need to see if we can mount a camera permanently on Mith's head. We lost some great pictures there.

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
If that tank had gone it would have gone BANG they don't need to be compressed to explode.

Yes, true, saying it has to be 'contained' would have been better. Yes, lucky the tank didnt catch and it didnt go bang......

Bone, if I blow myself up I'm sure nobody will have a problem with you moving into the crater :D

One of the first things to go through my head was I should get a picture, but I decided on putting the fire out as more urgent :yum:

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
Mith said:
One of the first things to go through my head was I should get a picture, but I decided on putting the fire out as more urgent :yum:
At least the fuel tank wasn't one of the first things going thru your head !!!!!!!!!

humor_me

BTW,
IF you can see your fire with a shade 4, THAT'S a fire!
Caught a magnesuim LawnBoy Deck on fire once --Oh the Colors!:whistle:

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Got it good yesterday. At our cabin and I went to light our propane grill. Now I use this grill once every 3 months and it happens to have one of them backwards valves on it. So I turn the valve on the tank on and walk to the front, check the main valve and light match, yeah main valve was on. Took the hair off my arm about 12" up. Couple of blisters also.

:(:(

murph

BoneheadNW

thcri said:
Got it good yesterday. At our cabin and I went to light our propane grill. Now I use this grill once every 3 months and it happens to have one of them backwards valves on it. So I turn the valve on the tank on and walk to the front, check the main valve and light match, yeah main valve was on. Took the hair off my arm about 12" up. Couple of blisters also.

:(:(

murph
I think both you and I should be happy we don't live near eachother. I would have to treat you for burns, and you would have to be treated by me!:eek: :pat: :yum:

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
BoneheadNW said:
I think both you and I should be happy we don't live near eachother. I would have to treat you for burns, and you would have to be treated by me!:eek: :pat: :yum:

I think it would have had to be a lot worse before I would be seeking treatment??

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
BoneheadNW said:
Is that a question? By the way, your avatar is laughing at me!:burp:
Bone

It's not really a question, why I have the question marks I don't know, but I was just making a statement I would have to have been burnt a lot more before I was to go to get a doctor.

murph