• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Windows 10 who's in??

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Anyone using Win8.1 and NOT switching to 10 is shooting themselves in the ass.

Anyone with Win7 can wait. Its not a HUGE change. Yes its takes less RAM, less space but I PERSONALLY feel it looks like crap. Unless they utilize Aero. Its just aesthetically better. Under the hood its faster and its a better OS than 7 but I just see no HUGE reason to convert.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I did it last night. Went through setup and I turned all the unknowns off, along with stuff like location, etc.

Seems stable so far and glad they brought back some of the 7 stuff.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I got it last night also. Went from 8.1 to 10. All ok except my mouse action. My pointer seems to float / move even when I don't move it and the mouse button on my touch pad is more finiky. I have to click two, three or four times to get stuff to happen. Annoying.

Leni

I talked to a computer geek friend of ours today. He already has reserved his copy of 10. Based on his recommendation I reserved my copy.

Kane

It Downloaded on my Lenovo even though I didn't want it to.
That took awhile but really not that long. Now it keeps bugging me to "upgrade."
It keeps asking me for a scheduled time to do the upgrade I keep stalling it.
Then it has that "Cortana" from what I read about that I don't want it.
Check it out here: https://www.yahoo.com/tech/how-to-keep-windows-10-from-spying-on-you-125730399429.html

I am somewhat leery, too.

After all, each and every "important update" to an operating system (no matter Apple, Mac or Android) includes the installation of a more aggressive marketing program. And we can rest assured that marketing agencies pay big money to have the rights to glean information about the individual users.

If you ask me, all we can expect from an "important update" is the assurance that we'll get more and more annoying pop-ups, and more and more raging advertisements specifically tailored and targeted to ME*.

*ME - the dumb fuck that was foolish enough to download the "important update".

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I am somewhat leery, too.

After all, each and every "important update" to an operating system (no matter Apple, Mac or Android) includes the installation of a more aggressive marketing program. And we can rest assured that marketing agencies pay big money to have the rights to glean information about the individual users.

If you ask me, all we can expect from an "important update" is the assurance that we'll get more and more annoying pop-ups, and more and more raging advertisements specifically tailored and targeted to ME*..
Apparently, windows 10 tracks everything you do. Article below and info on how to stop it.

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/stor...racks-everything-you-do-here-s-how-to-stop-it

Windows 10 tracks everything you do; Here's how to stop it
August 4, 2015 2:49pm

Tags: microsoft, microsoftwindows, cybersecurity
Heads up for users who’ve upgraded to Microsoft’s new Windows 10 operating system: If you’re the type who’s very privacy-conscious, you might want to tweak your settings.

According to Microsoft’s privacy statement:

(W)e will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary [...]

Users are apparently opted in by default, but you can opt out to protect your data. The blog Rock Paper Shotgun has outlined the steps on how to do so:

Go to Settings and then Privacy.
Make your way through all the listed options to see and manage the permissions for your apps and programs on your device.
To turn off personalized ads when you use your Edge browser, you’ll have go to this page on Microsoft’s website.
You may also off Cortana’s settings

Rock Paper Shotgun is quick to point out that Microsoft’s opt-out tracking is contrary to the company's claims of moving towards greater transparency.

"Conceptually it’s another story entirely: a large corporation is gathering and storing vast amounts of data on your computing habits, and not simply what you do in a browser,” they said. “There is no world in which 45 pages of policy documents and opt-out settings split across 13 different Settings screens and an external website constitutes 'real transparency.'” — Bea Montenegro/TJD, GMA News

More from: http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/stor...racks-everything-you-do-here-s-how-to-stop-it

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
I did it last night. Went through setup and I turned all the unknowns off, along with stuff like location, etc.

Seems stable so far and glad they brought back some of the 7 stuff.

+1

So far, 10 seems to be a good integration of 7 and 8.1.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Thank God I picked custom and turned off most of what was in the article detailing it.
So far so good.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
Thx. to everyone who is posting how to avoid it's BLEEP ware.

I didn't even know that a custom install was a option.
I need to read up on that.

I decided to try it on the ACER (it runs crappy anyway). If I don't like it I still have this Lenovo with the Windows 7.
I did see an article on how to go back to Windows 7 after you have 10, of course I don't know how well that would work. I hesitate to post the link because when I went there it froze my laptop for a couple minutes but here it is: http://www.howtogeek.com/220723/how-to-uninstall-windows-10-and-downgrade-to-windows-7-or-8.1/

If all else fails I have an old desktop running a lightweight Ubuntu called Lubuntu.

Just call me the Computer Survivalist. :doh:

Last edited:

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
After 7 months. But it will ALWAYS be better than a Apple OS. Sadly we are headed to a OS that alienates people that want to tweak their OS like they did in XP. The dumbing down of my OS that I loved for many years :(

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I loved Windows XP. The last Windows machine I ever owned. Actually, I still have one somewhere come to think of it.

I should fire it up and play Doom3 again. After a few pops, that game was fun. :yum:

OK, Windows guys, we'll get back on topic now. Sorry. :doh:

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
I tried it on this Acer laptop. Let me tell you you how well I liked it.
I went back to Windows 7 in about 45 minutes. Yes you can go back it's actually really easy. I looked it up ahead of time. Instructions here: http://www.howtogeek.com/220723/how-to-uninstall-windows-10-and-downgrade-to-windows-7-or-8.1/

I went back to 7 in about 15 minutes. but if it doesn't work for you if you try it blame that website not me.
There is a way to go back to 10 again. I might if:
1) They include the Media center.
2) They have the option to uninstall the "Cortana".
3) They have the option to uninstall the "Onedrive" cloud storage.
4) They replace the Solitaire "Suite" with the old style Solitaire.
5) They have the option of using the old style start menu.
6) They quit putting so much stuff on the task bar.

I'm sure I could think of more if I tried.

Last edited:

RNE228

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
Lots of flavors on Linux out there...

After 7 months. But it will ALWAYS be better than a Apple OS. Sadly we are headed to a OS that alienates people that want to tweak their OS like they did in XP. The dumbing down of my OS that I loved for many years :(

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
I loved Windows XP. The last Windows machine I ever owned. Actually, I still have one somewhere come to think of it.

I should fire it up and play Doom3 again. After a few pops, that game was fun. :yum:

OK, Windows guys, we'll get back on topic now. Sorry. :doh:

I found a site to install the Windows XP paint in Win. 7 heck I even got the Windows 98 paint. :shifty:

Last edited:

leadarrows

I installed 10 a week ago and I am having to restart my PC once a day to clear up video driver issues. I like the interface but I may have to ditch it over the video issues. Looks like digital breakdown looks.

K

kcvet

I installed 10 a week ago and I am having to restart my PC once a day to clear up video driver issues. I like the interface but I may have to ditch it over the video issues. Looks like digital breakdown looks.

how did you receive notification is was ready to install. email?? MS update. im still waiting. just curious

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I just did a search for the download(free) a couple weeks ago and reserved a copy. Thought it couldn't be any worse than 8 or 8.1. Didn't want to go back to 7 either since I wasn't overly impressed with that system.

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm in. I just put Windows 10 on my second machine. (This one is my daily driver LOL).

The first one was in my "Remote" office in Manhattan. It was a really easy install, I lost nothing. It is crisp and clean and evening works. I was a little apprehensive about doing my main machine after reading that support for older printers was lacking. I took the plunge anyway. All is well. All five of my printers are working. One of them has to be eight years old.

I will keep y'all posted.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm still very happy with windows 10. No real complaints here.

One thing I noticed with windows over the years was that they do a good operating system followed by a flop. Then then come out with a good one again and another flop. Thinking back to the various systems they've had. Millenium-flop, XP-good, Vista-semi flop, 7-good, 8&8.1-flop, 10-good.

So with that being said I'm guessing the next latest and greatest windows system to follow 10 will be a flop.

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
Mine's been a little wonky so far. It's verrrrrry slow to boot up, and the Edge web browser opens .pdf's with some stupid featureless Microsoft viewer, versus Acrobat Reader. Still trying to figure that one out. Right now, I can't save or print .pdf's from the interwebs.:hammer:

Still, the upgrade has been somewhat seamless.