• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Windows 10 who's in??

K

kcvet

ok so I got this little windows icon in my systray now. offering me an upgrade to 10. What I have read elsewhere and from Microsoft is that if you are running a legal copy of Win 7 or 8 or 8.1 it is a free upgrade to Win 10 and you have a year to install it - no other strings attached. long as as its an opt. I have 7 and it works just fine and im gonna keep it.
I bought a used back up PC with 8.1 and it runs like crap. really slow. so i may try 10 on that one. I think maybe MS is offering a way out of these 8 versions myself. most people don't like em IMO.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/features

anyone gonna have a go at it??

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
no thanks

we are an Apple Mac OS/X family

my wife used to teach Windows computing at the local high school, but switched to Apple

I used to run a company that used Windows, but I switched to Apple

It works, its generally far more stable, it requires far fewer patches/updates/fixes. I'll stick with it.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
ok so I got this little windows icon in my systray now. offering me an upgrade to 10. What I have read elsewhere and from Microsoft is that if you are running a legal copy of Win 7 or 8 or 8.1 it is a free upgrade to Win 10 and you have a year to install it - no other strings attached. long as as its an opt. I have 7 and it works just fine and im gonna keep it.
I bought a used back up PC with 8.1 and it runs like crap. really slow. so i may try 10 on that one. I think maybe MS is offering a way out of these 8 versions myself. most people don't like em IMO.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/features

anyone gonna have a go at it??

I have not gotten the message. I'm running 8.1, and am not impressed. I've had stability issues on some sites.

I'll probably install near the end of the free period.

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
I have a Windows phone, xBox 360 and both a laptop and tablet running 8.1. It's actually a pretty good ecosystem. I set up a NAS, and now I have a video library I can watch on any device in the house, including the kids' laptops and tablets, smart TV's and Blu-ray players.

I also like having a calendar that syncs on all my devices, and the wife can edit it too from her work.

I don't have any issues with stability, but you need, at minimum, an i5 processor. My laptop only has an i3, and it's overworked at times, but still does the job. When the upgrade to 10 becomes available, I'm in, but probably not until they've had a few months to work out some of the initial bugs.

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
Hell, it wasn't that long ago that I finally got rid of Windows 95/96. I have Vista now and don't see a need to upgrade. :biggrin:

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
I will install it on all my PC's. I am generally happy with 7, 8 and 8.1.

I am a working consultant and have to be in a position to support it. That requires familiarity.

I bought a MAC I can't get it to do anything. It sits powered off on the floor. I do keep the software up to date.

Before I get flamed. I have been supporting PC's since 1980. The MAC is just too different for me.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'll put it on at least one of my machines. I had Win 7 and liked it better than XP or Vista, then that laptop bit the dust. My new laptop has Win8. I've got used to it but Win7 was better. Hoping Win10 is more like 7 than 8.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
So nobody really knows if W10 is a benefit or a liability in regards/comparison to W7/8????
Not asking for a comparison to Apple.

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
Fred, I believe the beta has been available for a while. Some of my friends have tried it.

Generally people like it, it remains to be seen. I have never had time or extra hardware to try betas.

Too many computers laying around running now. LOL

road squawker

GOLD Site Supporter
So nobody really knows if W10 is a benefit or a liability in regards/comparison to W7/8????
Not asking for a comparison to Apple.

check BEFORE you install it, you may need new drivers for all your hardware.

Windows is progressing towards annual fees for their programs (more properly called "apps"). the "desktop" GUI looks like a phone app

Startmenu_zpsp0jwd0km.jpg

I'm stickin with Win 7 as long as I can. YMMV

Leni

I hate Windows 8. The folks at Best Buy told me that they were coming out with 10 and it would be free to Windows 8 owners. It's basically an apology for the awful 8. I'm going to wait for a while though. Let others run into the problems.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I hate Windows 8. The folks at Best Buy told me that they were coming out with 10 and it would be free to Windows 8 owners. It's basically an apology for the awful 8. I'm going to wait for a while though. Let others run into the problems.

I hope your right Leni.:smile:

I was thinking 8 was ok, but now with all the issues I have come across, e mail being no. one, I am no longer on the windows 8 band wagon, if there ever was one...:yum:

I hope Dell has the same deal as best buy has.:flowers:

Regards, Kirk

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Hell, it wasn't that long ago that I finally got rid of Windows 95/96. I have Vista now and don't see a need to upgrade. :biggrin:

Same here. Haven't had any issues with it for, what has it been.. something like 6 years now?

God, I feel like such an uncool fool in the cyber world.

:yum:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I must be one of the lucky ones. I have 8.1 and haven't had a seconds problem with it. Seems my old computer with 7 was always froze up with updates. I rarely know when 8. 1 does updates because it hasn't froze up once.

Is the Windows 10 upgrade available yet? Looked at some reviews on YouTube. Seems alright.

jwstewar

I had the Windows 10 Technical Preview on an older laptop until the preview expired. I liked the preview. More like 7, but with a few of the better 8 features mixed in. It seemed to work pretty well. I believe the full version for the masses comes out July 29. It will be free for ALL legitimate Windows 7/Windows 8.1 users. If you are running just Windows 8, you must upgrade to 8.1 first. I've already reserved my copy on several of my machines and plan on doing the rest of them hear shortly.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
I just got the icon about Windows 10 on my computer. I have seen where there is a way to get rid of it I will have to look for it.
I was happy with Windows 98 & XP.
I hate the Paint program in Windows 7. I went to a freeware site and got the old XP version of paint.

Link to get rid of the notification
http://www.howtogeek.com/218856/how...ndows-10-icon-shown-in-the-notification-tray/

I have 2 laptops & may try it in the one I don't use so much and see what I think.

Last edited:

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
So I broke my laptop and bought a new HP with 8.

A learning experience for sure, but I kinda like it. First day was yesterday.

With my old laptop, I'd be doing something on my phone or tab, then move to the laptop, I'd be swiping on the non-touch screen, and dismayed for a second as the thing wasn't working, at least until I realized I did not have an interface screen.

I'll do 10 when it comes on the 29th.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
So I broke my laptop and bought a new HP with 8.

A learning experience for sure, but I kinda like it. First day was yesterday.

With my old laptop, I'd be doing something on my phone or tab, then move to the laptop, I'd be swiping on the non-touch screen, and dismayed for a second as the thing wasn't working, at least until I realized I did not have an interface screen.

I'll do 10 when it comes on the 29th.

Fred, I'd be curious, if yours came with 8 or 8.1, and if with 8, that it sticks.

My laptop came with 8, and I preferred 8 to 8.1, which I downloaded, disliked, then removed. Upgrades always leave me with 8.1.

I also wonder if the same might to W 10 also being automatically uploaded on qualified W 8 machines.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have no idea if it is 8 or 8.1.
How do I determine that?

If you go into your desktop and systems, you should find it. If the machine is new, it's probably 8.1. I think it automatically upgrades even if it is 8.0.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Yup, It's 8.1

Two very annoying things so far.

1) I open up something, and this big box with a black arrow pointing to the right appears and states swipe to do whatever. The damn thing won't go away, and all of a sudden, it's gone. How do I turn this damn thing off?

2) I am used to using my right forefinger to do the keypad swiping, and my left forefinger to do the clicking. My broken pc had a seperate swipe pad and two mouse keys. The new one has a solid pad, with the mouse keys built in and not visible. If I rest both mu fingers on the pad, the screen zooms in or out. I can not for the life of me find the settings that make this happen. It's not in the touchpad setup. Help? I want to turn this off.

I hope 10 is not more of the same.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
You have a touchscreen. The arrow is pointing to the right side of the screen. If you swipe in from the side, options open up. If you touch the screen with two fingers and open or close the fingers, you zoom in or out.. Very useful for old guys.