• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Uber?

deand1

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Anyone here using or have used Uber taxi service? I have the app but haven't traveled in a while.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've never heard of the Uber Taxi Service. How does it work?

deand1

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Uber is an American international company headquartered in San Francisco, California. It develops, markets and operates the mobile-app-based transportation network also called Uber. The Uber app allows consumers to submit a trip request, which is routed to crowd-sourced taxi drivers.[1][2] As of March 26, 2015, the service was available in 55 countries and more than 200 cities worldwide.[3] Since Uber's launch, several other companies have emulated its business model, a trend that has come to be referred to as "Uberification".[4][5]
Uber was founded as "UberCab" by Travis Kalanick and Garrett Camp in 2009 and the app was released the following June. It raised $49 million in venture funds by 2011. Beginning in 2012, Uber expanded internationally. In 2014, it experimented with carpooling features and made other updates. It continuously raised additional funding, reaching $2.8 billion in total funding by 2015. Many governments and taxi companies have protested against Uber, alleging that its use of unlicensed, crowd-sourced drivers was unsafe or illegal.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Interesting. Does sound like someone with ulterior motives could take advantage of an unsuspecting traveler or driver. Have you ever traveled this way?
Is this the 21st century way of hitching a ride? I thumbed rides before ...in the old days.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I hear lots of good stuff about UBER but honestly have never used it.

Kane

It raised $49 million in venture funds by 2011. Beginning in 2012, Uber expanded internationally. In 2014, it experimented with carpooling features and made other updates. It continuously raised additional funding, reaching $2.8 billion in total funding by 2015
It always amazes me how these internet companies -- that don't have a nickel's worth of product or plant -- can be valued in such huge numbers.

Facebook, for instance, went public with an initial public offering valued in the billions ... $26 billion if I recall correctly. Yet what does Facebook produce of value, other than a lot of annoying advertising? Nothing. But it's been very, very good for Zuckerman, et.al.

Now it'll be the same with Uber when it goes IPO. It's nothing but an internet app, but it'll be worth billions and billions. Good for the two or three founders, but who else?

Alas, I guess that's the way of the new world. Information and communication have value; extreme value.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Uber is an American international company headquartered in San Francisco, California. It develops, markets and operates the mobile-app-based transportation network also called Uber. The Uber app allows consumers to submit a trip request, which is routed to crowd-sourced taxi drivers.[1][2] As of March 26, 2015, the service was available in 55 countries and more than 200 cities worldwide.[3] Since Uber's launch, several other companies have emulated its business model, a trend that has come to be referred to as "Uberification".[4][5]
Uber was founded as "UberCab" by Travis Kalanick and Garrett Camp in 2009 and the app was released the following June. It raised $49 million in venture funds by 2011. Beginning in 2012, Uber expanded internationally. In 2014, it experimented with carpooling features and made other updates. It continuously raised additional funding, reaching $2.8 billion in total funding by 2015. Many governments and taxi companies have protested against Uber, alleging that its use of unlicensed, crowd-sourced drivers was unsafe or illegal.

Translation: They don't feel they are getting enough taxes out of it.