• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

brake controller what is good?

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I plan on replacing my controller and don't want any junk. what do you recommend?
I have a f250 and tow 11,000 lb trailer
thanks

/

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
I installed one of these a little while back. The best damn brake control I have ever used. Period. I should have gotten one of these years ago.

My rig is 18k gross.

Carbon.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I've got a basic Reese brake controller and it worked fine for our trip.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'll pile on and recommend the Tekonsha.

Wish you posted this 2 weeks ago. I traded in a truck leaving a nice Tekonsha prodigy in the old truck. The new truck comes with controller built in.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'll pile on and recommend the Tekonsha.

Wish you posted this 2 weeks ago. I traded in a truck leaving a nice Tekonsha prodigy in the old truck. The new truck comes with controller built in.
i'm going to a 4x swap meet . if I see one will it fit most trucks ?I have a 2004 ford f 250

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I believe the Tekonsha's are universal. Mine was in a 2005 GMC Sierra 1500. It was my Dad's before that and he had a Ford.

At the time, their Prodigy was their top-end controller.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I used to sell tekonsha's they were good controllers and affordable too. count your brakes most controls on the low end of the price spectrum control 2 or 3 axles if 4 axles you will need the hd model intended for more axles

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
My Tekonsha is about 10-12 yrs old and has worked well on lots of different tlrs. It's on it's second pickup. Most all controllers sell plug and play adapters to plug into factory prewired pickups. No splicing needed.
Mike

jwstewar

I'll agree on the Tekonshas. I've had several. First was a Tekonsha Voyager on my S10. It worked great, but could be a little slow engaging the brakes. Bought a new truck and bought another Tekonsha Voyager. Used it and moved it to my current truck. It then got to the point it wouldn't apply the brakes automatically - but would still apply manually. I then installed a Tekonsha Prodigy P2 on it in 2007. I'm still using that controller and it works great with our 10k camper behind my Chevy 1500. I've also installed a Tekonsha Prodigy P3 in our Suburban. Functionality wise same as the P2, but easier to change and control with more advanced trouble shooting. I use both of them with 4 different trailers regularly every where from 1500 lbs to 10,000 and both work great.