• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What are you doing today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
What did I do today? Not a darned thing!

It was hot this morning and continued getting hotter all day. Officially it was 99°F with a heat index of 108°. There were things that I could have been doing but nothing that desperately needed doing so I stayed inside in the a/c. I know, I know, I'm a pussy but I'm a cool and unsweaty pussy.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Negotiating with the powers that be at work.
It never ends.
I'm going to take a walk over at the park this afternoon.
Making a smoked paprika chicken dish for dinner.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We had very strong winds yesterday. That combined with a nasty thunderstorm the day before sparked a 5 hectare forest fire yesterday afternoon. The strong winds caused it to spread and evacuate the nearest community of red lake Ontario last night. The fire has now spread to around 420 hectares and is being fought by 5 cl-415 water bombers.

I'm headed to the garage to finish splitting wood from yesterday.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Got the power container 95% welded out. Tomorrow I will remove the 6 panel frames clean up and get it ready for paint.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Putting new bumpers and stanchions on the dock for new tri toon boat.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Putting new bumpers and stanchions on the dock for new tri toon boat.
What Are Bumpers???

Boats do not have "bumpers"

Oh yeah, you stinkpot motorboaters call them that.

They are actually called "fenders."
But then the ceiling on a boat cabin is called "the overhead'
The side of the boat is called "the topsides"
The floor is called the "sole" The aft sail on a yawl is called a "mizzen." and on a sloop it actually is mizzen.

A few years ago, we were on a yawl. I tested the wife and asked, "where's the Mizzen?" she told me it was lozt.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I got my director to knock me down to 8 hrs tomorrow.
The only reason she agreed to that is because I agreed to go in Thursday from 10a-4p.

See how that works?

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
A camp buddy texted me a picture of a beer and his campfire while I was at the dump. That's where I am now. Lol. Back at camp for the night testing the new generator on the fridge and camper.

It's quite the process. Lmao. Brought out a case of beer. A small bar fridge. And got to work testing. Few beer in each fridge. One on hydro. One on the generator. Testing each one to see which gets colder.[emoji482][emoji481][emoji482][emoji481][emoji482][emoji481]

Last edited:

Bannedjoe

A camp buddy texted me a picture of a beer and his campfire while I was at the dump. That's where I am now. Lol. Back at camp for the night testing the new generator on the fridge and camper.

It's quite the process. Lmao. Brought out a case of beer. A small bar fridge. And got to work testing. Few beer in each fridge. One on hydro. One on the generator. Testing each one to see which gets colder.[emoji482][emoji481][emoji482][emoji481][emoji482][emoji481]
Speaking of fridges....
Today was flip the fridge day.

Many folks don't know this, but if you have a propane fridge that slowly quits working, it's time for a flip.
Empty it out, unhook everything, and stand it upside down for a awhile, and gently but firmly tap on all the coils.
Let it sit for 15 minutes, then stand it back up and rap on it some more.

Do this over and over for an hour or so, hook it all back up, and chances are 95% that it'll work like new again, unless of course you've lost the ammonia gas in it somehow.

This fridge is 5 years old, and this is only the first time we've had to do it.
It's much bigger than our previous one, so I had to cajole a friend up to help me do it.

While pulling the fridge away from the wall, we noticed a small kink in the rubber gas hose that might have happened when I moved the thing a few weeks ago.
That might have been the issue, but screw it, we did the flip anyway, just to be sure.
Won't know anything until morning, but it did give us a good reason to dispose of a number of hiding science experiments.

Today was also the start of the last of the porch roofs.
Fortunately it'll be just a small one.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
What Are Bumpers???

Boats do not have "bumpers"

Oh yeah, you stinkpot motorboaters call them that.

They are actually called "fenders."
But then the ceiling on a boat cabin is called "the overhead'
The side of the boat is called "the topsides"
The floor is called the "sole" The aft sail on a yawl is called a "mizzen." and on a sloop it actually is mizzen.

A few years ago, we were on a yawl. I tested the wife and asked, "where's the Mizzen?" she told me it was lozt.
Uhh Franc .... on the boat they are fenders but on the dock are they fenders or are they bumpers? Amazon called them bumpers ...so I did too. :D

Taylor Made Products 45600 Dock Post Bumper (7" x 17", White)

Attachments

• DockStanchions.JPG
    DockStanchions.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 61

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Uhh Franc .... on the boat they are fenders but on the dock are they fenders or are they bumpers? Amazon called them bumpers ...so I did too. :D

Taylor Made Products 45600 Dock Post Bumper (7" x 17", White)
Amazon is an authority on proper nautical terms?

I don't think so.

Neither does Chapman.

which oddly enough, you can purchase at Amazon:tiphat:
https://www.amazon.com/Chapman-Piloting-Seamanship-68th/dp/1618372432

BTW, properly used, "Fenders" can save you boat from damage.

:eek:
attachment.php

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Speaking of fridges....
Today was flip the fridge day.

Many folks don't know this, but if you have a propane fridge that slowly quits working, it's time for a flip.
Empty it out, unhook everything, and stand it upside down for a awhile, and gently but firmly tap on all the coils.
Let it sit for 15 minutes, then stand it back up and rap on it some more.

Do this over and over for an hour or so, hook it all back up, and chances are 95% that it'll work like new again, unless of course you've lost the ammonia gas in it somehow.

This fridge is 5 years old, and this is only the first time we've had to do it.
It's much bigger than our previous one, so I had to cajole a friend up to help me do it.

While pulling the fridge away from the wall, we noticed a small kink in the rubber gas hose that might have happened when I moved the thing a few weeks ago.
That might have been the issue, but screw it, we did the flip anyway, just to be sure.
Won't know anything until morning, but it did give us a good reason to dispose of a number of hiding science experiments.

Today was also the start of the last of the porch roofs.
Fortunately it'll be just a small one.

Ive been thinking of a propane fridge for the cabin. How do you like it? and how much propane does it use? I will have a good sized solar and battery bank soon and have been going back and forth on the fridge, on propane or electric?

Bannedjoe

Ive been thinking of a propane fridge for the cabin. How do you like it? and how much propane does it use? I will have a good sized solar and battery bank soon and have been going back and forth on the fridge, on propane or electric?

I've had propane fridges forever.
It's hard to say how much propane the fridge itself uses, especially since I upgraded a few years back to a 500 gallon tank.
But back in the days when we used to shag around a 25 (gal?) tank, it would last around a month or so running the fridge, stove and water heater.

The thing about propane fridges is that they don't like to be boxed in without adequate ventilation, and need to be about 2 feet from the wall in the back.

I just looked up the specs on mine, it's 18 CU feet, and they say: Fuel Consumption 0.35 gal. / 1.5 lbs. per 24 hrs.

I'm a little bummed, this morning the fridge doesn't appear to be cooling very well.
The good news is the cooling unit is warranted for 7 years, and bizzarely enough, the folks I bought it from have since relocated, and are only 50 miles away.

They open in two hours, I'm gonna see what they say.

Edited to add: I think all in all, if I had a bigger battery bank, I might go back to electric.
The only thing is, if you have a lot of gray days, you're going to have to rely on a generator backup, whereas propane doesn't care about the sun.

Last edited:

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
I've had propane fridges forever.
It's hard to say how much propane the fridge itself uses, especially since I upgraded a few years back to a 500 gallon tank.
But back in the days when we used to shag around a 25 (gal?) tank, it would last around a month or so running the fridge, stove and water heater.

The thing about propane fridges is that they don't like to be boxed in without adequate ventilation, and need to be about 2 feet from the wall in the back.

I just looked up the specs on mine, it's 18 CU feet, and they say: Fuel Consumption 0.35 gal. / 1.5 lbs. per 24 hrs.

I'm a little bummed, this morning the fridge doesn't appear to be cooling very well.
The good news is the cooling unit is warranted for 7 years, and bizzarely enough, the folks I bought it from have since relocated, and are only 50 miles away.

They open in two hours, I'm gonna see what they say.

Edited to add: I think all in all, if I had a bigger battery bank, I might go back to electric.
The only thing is, if you have a lot of gray days, you're going to have to rely on a generator backup, whereas propane doesn't care about the sun.

I will have 2400 watts of solar with 21 kw Lithium battery bank and making provisions for future 1500 watt wind turbine if needed. I will only use the fridge in the summer, as in the winter I can make ice outside and use my antique ice box. You have been doing this for a while, what would you do in my situation? Also I am only there a weekend or two each month.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
So this morning first thing the welder crapped out, found it to be a faulty on/off switch. I didn't have a suitable replacement so I bypassed it to get going. I was still able to complete the work to get where I wanted to be. Also added a channel at the end that extends out back a foot for future wind turbine.
I removed 4 of the frames and stacked them on the last 2, cleaned up and brought un necessary item down. Tomorrow I am going to blow it off, wipe it down and paint 2/3 of it.

Attachments

• IMG_1113.jpg
    IMG_1113.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1114.jpg
    IMG_1114.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 61

Bannedjoe

I will have 2400 watts of solar with 21 kw Lithium battery bank and making provisions for future 1500 watt wind turbine if needed. I will only use the fridge in the summer, as in the winter I can make ice outside and use my antique ice box. You have been doing this for a while, what would you do in my situation? Also I am only there a weekend or two each month.

Your system is almost equal with mine, except I have 3200 watts up on the roof.
They're fixed, but they're set up in such a fashion that they don't get 100% focused sun all day, but someone's always getting good sun.

I hate wind generators, yeah yeah yeah, they make quiet ones, but fuck that shit.
The litmus test for a wind generator.
Is the wind a CONSTANT NUISANCE?
If you answered yes, then wind might be a good answer.

If not, it's hardly worth the extra cost and set up.
Yeah, there's times when the sun's not out, and another source of power would be good, but if the wind ain't blowin, it won't do any good.

But here's my thing.
I know a few folks that have them, and they're noisy as fuck.
They chop and whirr and speed up and slow down, and to me they totally screw up my peace and quiet.

I'd spend the extra money on more batteries.
Ya can never have too much battery!

You probably won't need it all, but you never know, you might end up in that cabin for more than a week at time with rate things are going.

Anyways back to your question, almost. ;)

We have similar sized banks, although mine are lead acid forklift batteries.
I have almost all the amenities anyone else would have in their home, sans central heat and AC.
Stove, water heater, fridge and small room heater are on propane.

Everything else is electric and runs off the solar.
We have computers, and fans, and toasters, and washing machine. The wife irons, I have power tools, saws la la la, you get it.

I use them just about anytime I like.
I also have a small 7 cubic foot electric freezer that's on a timer. It runs all day, and shuts off at night.

My point is, you're probably aren't going to use near as much power as I do by any stretch, especially only being there a handful of days a month.

The other thing is if no one's making or selling propane, you don't have a fridge, and unless someone takes the sun away....

After this last go a round with propane fridges, I think I'm done.

This one was about $2000 plus freight.
It's made by the Amish.
When I bought it, I somehow thought this was going to be a done deal, and that it would somehow last longer or be better than the others.
Unforunately, it's locked up.
Fortunately, it still under warranty,and they're going to replace the cooling unit.
Unfortunately, it has to be shipped from Illinois.
Fortunately, they're going to pay for it all.
Unfortunately, I have to do all the work myself.

There is one very slight possibility that they might just ship a new fridge.
I'll know tomorrow.

So at this point, I say screw propane cooling.
The problem is this: they have to put an anti rusting compound in with the ammonia, and that compound crystalizes over time, blocking the flow of coolant.
Screw it, I'll fix this one or whatever, but after that, I'll add another battery if I have to, and for my money, I'm going electric.

tl;dr. Go with electric!

Here's my panels set up, although I'm still not sure why my roof came out pink. (stupid drone)
It's white. Wow, that was like 8 months ago.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 5.35.00 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 5.35.00 PM.jpg
    523.3 KB · Views: 51

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Your system is almost equal with mine, except I have 3200 watts up on the roof.
They're fixed, but they're set up in such a fashion that they don't get 100% focused sun all day, but someone's always getting good sun.

I hate wind generators, yeah yeah yeah, they make quiet ones, but fuck that shit.
The litmus test for a wind generator.
Is the wind a CONSTANT NUISANCE?
If you answered yes, then wind might be a good answer.

If not, it's hardly worth the extra cost and set up.
Yeah, there's times when the sun's not out, and another source of power would be good, but if the wind ain't blowin, it won't do any good.

But here's my thing.
I know a few folks that have them, and they're noisy as fuck.
They chop and whirr and speed up and slow down, and to me they totally screw up my peace and quiet.

I'd spend the extra money on more batteries.
Ya can never have too much battery!

You probably won't need it all, but you never know, you might end up in that cabin for more than a week at time with rate things are going.

Anyways back to your question, almost. ;)

We have similar sized banks, although mine are lead acid forklift batteries.
I have almost all the amenities anyone else would have in their home, sans central heat and AC.
Stove, water heater, fridge and small room heater are on propane.

Everything else is electric and runs off the solar.
We have computers, and fans, and toasters, and washing machine. The wife irons, I have power tools, saws la la la, you get it.

I use them just about anytime I like.
I also have a small 7 cubic foot electric freezer that's on a timer. It runs all day, and shuts off at night.

My point is, you're probably aren't going to use near as much power as I do by any stretch, especially only being there a handful of days a month.

The other thing is if no one's making or selling propane, you don't have a fridge, and unless someone takes the sun away....

After this last go a round with propane fridges, I think I'm done.

This one was about $2000 plus freight.
It's made by the Amish.
When I bought it, I somehow thought this was going to be a done deal, and that it would somehow last longer or be better than the others.
Unforunately, it's locked up.
Fortunately, it still under warranty,and they're going to replace the cooling unit.
Unfortunately, it has to be shipped from Illinois.
Fortunately, they're going to pay for it all.
Unfortunately, I have to do all the work myself.

There is one very slight possibility that they might just ship a new fridge.
I'll know tomorrow.

So at this point, I say screw propane cooling.
The problem is this: they have to put an anti rusting compound in with the ammonia, and that compound crystalizes over time, blocking the flow of coolant.
Screw it, I'll fix this one or whatever, but after that, I'll add another battery if I have to, and for my money, I'm going electric.

tl;dr. Go with electric!

Here's my panels set up, although I'm still not sure why my roof came out pink. (stupid drone)
It's white. Wow, that was like 8 months ago.

Thanks for the advice/help you have been doing it longer and live with it day to day. The reason I was thinking wind is it always has a constant breeze that picks up at night. In the fall thru the spring it is 20mph plus. The wind coming through the trees sounds like the ocean most nights. Summer is quiet and sunny every day. One problem is that the panels can only get direct sun from 9am to 3pm before it gets blocked by the trees.

Bannedjoe

Today's mission was to start the small roof project for the entrance to the wife's girl cave.
I hope to button it up tomorrow.

The woman has been knocking out the paint work.
This is the south side.

Attachments

• IMG_2576.JPG
    IMG_2576.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2577.JPG
    IMG_2577.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2578.JPG
    IMG_2578.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 47

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Can I borrow her for a couple of weeks? With her I could get a head start on my 2022 projects. I don't pay well but I'm easy to work for and it's cooler in East Texas. Okay, not by much and the humidity sucks so she may want think over this offer carefully. :bolt:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
This was another nothing kind of day. Around noon the thunderstorms rolled in and it pissed down for about 3 hours. That was enough to ruin any enthusiasm that I had so I piddled around in the shop for a while. Just me and the cat, bonding for life. Good grief, that animal is mental.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Came back from camp bright and early yesterday to head to the city to sign papers at the lawyers for a house im finally selling. I bought it in 2006 with my ex wife. We lived there for a few years until she decided to spread her legs for another guy and split. I kept both houses we had. Sold the small one after owning/renting/living in on and offsince 99. Both were paid for. Now they're both finally sold.

The camp golf cart was starting to give us issues. It's electric and over the past couple weekends was needing to be charged more often. So I brought it back home to give it a service. New battery cables and I topped off the batteries with distilled water. She now runs like a champ. That one has a speed chip in it to make it twice as fast as our other one.

This morning, I have to take 2 of the kids in for dental appointments. Then I plan on tackling the white golf cart to give it a tune up. This afternoon I plan on building some small bifolding shutters for the outdoor kitchen at camp to stop the evening sun from roasting us out of the kitchen. Also to help with the refrigerator to keep cool. Right now, as the kitchen faces west, it takes in the afternoon sun which doesn't let up until dark.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Got home shortly after 10 last night.
Barely slept a wink because of too much caffeine too late in the day.
I think last time looking at the clock it was going on 1am.
Internal alarm went off at 6.
Ugh.

We have our first positive tested covid resident.
She's a dialysis patient, so comes and goes.
She also tried to pick a paper up off the floor and face planted.
She looks like she was in a fight and lost.
Whatever respiratory junk is going around- which I had, is beginning to make it's rounds in both staff and rezzies alike.
Fun fun fun!

I'll be so happy when 4pm rolls around today.
I'm going to come home and make a quick supper then flop.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I don't know what I'll be doing today.

I have to check the tire pressures on the car. Onstar keeps telling me they are low. Probably not. Ever since I put new tires on the sensors have been reading low while my tire gauge shows that they are spot on. We'll see. I'll probably wash and wax it while I'm at it.

There's no wind today, first day in a long time, so I will probably spray the Johnson grass in the pasture. I hate that stuff. If you leave it alone It'll take over.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Today I was able get the top of the container 3/4 painted. I will let it sit for a couple of days then put the frames on the other side and finish it. While I am waiting I can make a bench for the inverter to sit on in the back.

Attachments

• IMG_1115.jpg
    IMG_1115.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 84

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Got mowing done at the house. did river lot yesterday. Went to hardware store to get last of what I think I'll need for a gas delivery system to the pontoon. Tired of carrying 5 gallon cans down on the dock so with the help of PVC and some plastic pipe I'm making a long gas spout to pour the gas through. I got all teh pieces parts I think I'll need so will start assembling later today.

Then later today or tomorrow I have to remove the battery from my tractor. I charged it but no joy so going to get it tested and probably buy a new one.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Built a yard ornament, more on that later, set some solar spots and now chilling till Bike Nite at the local pub!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Mowed the yard this afternoon. It didn't really need it yet but I figured I'd do it now and probably not have to worry about it till later next week again.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Practically ran across the parking lot to get home today.
All this covid stuff going on, plus more and more testing positive, we're going to get a special isolation unit sat up with a zip wall.
I can't say a whole lot more about it right now.

I made a nice dinner.
Tomorrow is off.
I'm on this weekend.
By Monday I'm going to be ready for some Yuengling. Lol

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Got up at 4:30 am went to the shop around 5am. It was already warm this morning with 0 breeze. Cut and welded a frame that will be the bench in the container that the batteries and inverter sit on. I made it heavy, 2x2x3/8 angle and 2x2x1/4 tube its 29"x 92". It weighs around 75# without any cross supports or the top on it, so I will weld the frame in then add the rest afterward. The batteries and inverter will be around 700# on it. Tomorrow I will paint the 25% left on top the container and if enough time before the heat I will weld in the bench frame. suppose to be 105 degrees today.

Attachments

• IMG_1117.jpg
    IMG_1117.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 70
Status
Not open for further replies.