• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Fix-r-Up Thiokol on EBAY $1,200

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
...and she's gone! Good deal with that OC12 ... hopefully functional.

scooterd

My cousin lives about 30 miles from Bensalem. He's going to pick it up for us and store it til Nov. Never let Redragtop play on E-bay by herself!:hide:

redragtop

My cousin lives about 30 miles from Bensalem. He's going to pick it up for us and store it til Nov. Never let Redragtop play on E-bay by herself!:hide:

Well it is not a Kristi:sad: but it will be a fun project! Now I have to find a new hiding spot for my mad money, he only opens the cookie jar with the cookies in it!:whistling:

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Well it is not a Kristi:sad: but it will be a fun project! Now I have to find a new hiding spot for my mad money, he only opens the cookie jar with the cookies in it!:whistling:

It will be better than a Crusty......... only you will have to shower instead of
sitting in a tub on tracks:chris:

scooterd

Here's a few pictures of the Spryte we purchased off e-bay. It doesn't look too bad,:biggrin:does it? The plan is to deliver a Model A to NJ, and bring the cat back. I've never been to the east coast before, so this should be an adventure!

Attachments

• Thiokol II.jpg
    Thiokol II.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 418
  • summer_vacation_08_025.jpg
    summer_vacation_08_025.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 413
  • summer_vacation_08_022.jpg
    summer_vacation_08_022.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 404
  • summer_vacation_08_030.jpg
    summer_vacation_08_030.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 411

scooterd

We finally went out to NJ and picked up the Spryte. I pushed it in the garage and decided to try get her running. I was curious as to what we had purchased. I cleaned the points and installed a new coil because it was cracked. I had strong spark. Next I cleaned out the fuel filter which was full of rust. The fuel pump worked and we got gas to the carb. I flipped the choke on and she fired up! There was a really bad miss and white smoke so thick you couldn't see your hand in front of your face. Not good. I checked compression. Five were from 190-200 pounds but one read zero. I hoped it was a head gasket, but had a feeling I wasn't getting lucky tonight! I then put a little air to that cylinder and it blew into the crankcase. Could I have a hole in the piston and a blown head gasket? I decided to pull the head and have a look. This is what I found. You have to remember-I never heard a knock in this motor and neither did Michelle!

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 314

scooterd

It was froze up at one time. The block is cracked and you can see where they staked around the frost plug to keep it in. It is also plumb full of Bars Leak. They put so much of that crap in that it plugged the thermostat housing. Oh well, sometimes you win and sometimes you don't. I think I'll put a 300 and C-6 in her after I finish the other rebuild.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Bummer, Scott, seems like you always get the ones with the bad engines. but that's why your a mechanic right....... red rag top could rebuild that over lunchtime and have time to spare. you will have it purrrrring in no time. are you keeping the rest of MY cats well covered? :whistling:

scooterd

Yup! :biggrin: Just waiting for that first good snowfall so I can go try them out! It's snowing hard right now. :jumpingSm

I picked up another running 300 six the day after we found that mess. A friend of mine threw in a new Crower cam, valve springs, and lifters. Every thing was really cheap! (FREE):hide:

scooterd

Also free. Burns oil, but runs nice. It needs a rebuild, but I'd rather have it that way. When I'm done, I know what I've got.

scooterd

I should have mentioned that it's a pickup, and the guy is going to make a trailer out of the box. He doesn't want the motor or cab.

redragtop

Bummer, Scott, seems like you always get the ones with the bad engines. but that's why your a mechanic right....... red rag top could rebuild that over lunchtime and have time to spare. you will have it purrrrring in no time. are you keeping the rest of MY cats well covered? :whistling:

Actually if I don't get my woodworking projects out of the shop & make some room we could be doing the rebuild on the kitchen table!:ermm: All the cats are tucked in nice & snug around here. The 19 automatic mouse catchers in the barn were snuggled up in the straw bales purring today when I was out.:whistling: The rest are all peeking out waiting for the first good layer of powder to go play in!

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Bad luck on the engine ! It's amazing that it ran !

The rest of it looks fairly complete and not too bent up. I'm sure you will turn it into something good. And by the way..... how is your other Thiokol project doing ???

scooterd

Pixie, I have made some progress in the last few weeks but it's going really slow. I'm trying to get my wood stove installed and running before the ground freezes solid. We have about 3 inches of frost now. I just trenched 160 feet to the house, and will do another 150 to the shop tomorrow. Once this project is completed, I'll hit the Thiokol hard and post pics of the progress made!