• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

upgrade and new ham

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
well I passed my upgrade to general last night and my oldest daughter who was visiting passed her tech exam. I suppose now I have to start looking for an antenna to set up for the ts 140 and get it fired up.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
now its time to look into a 20 meter dipole and maybe a modified 11 meter antenna for 10 and start listening in on my ts140 kenwood

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
now its time to look into a 20 meter dipole and maybe a modified 11 meter antenna for 10 and start listening in on my ts140 kenwood
Congratulations to you and your daughter. I have a K-30 mag mount antenna that I have two whips for; one for 10m for my HTX-10 and one cut for 11m for my CB that I use on trips. Works really great for around $25 with one whip.

If I might ask, why are you looking at a 20m dipole? If you built or purchased a 40m dipole, you could work everything from 40m thru 10m with a tuner. Only difference is 33'for the 20m vs 66' length for 40m unit. Just something to think about. 40m will also give you a lot of local traffic. Let me know if I can help you out with any antenna questions. I've built a bunch of i dipoles.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
2 reasons right now the rig is at work what ever I put up can't be 2 big 20 meter has a good reputation for working sky wave all the time. 40 meter kind of sucks at this latitude 160 and 80 work pretty well in state but they require some long antennas. hen the bands are open 10 and 12 can work real well up here to. 20 meter dipole s cheap and easy I'm also looking at a 4 btv vertical as it wouldn't look much different from the vhf vertical already erected

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Never thought about the latitude differential. Thanks for that new knowledge. Good luck with the dipole. That's all I run from 100w down to QRP. Flat top or inverted vee, they work great for me. Wire s sooooo old school, but they work soooooo good.

Still waiting to add Alaska to my "Worked All States." Just can't find a path up that way on any band.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
on the longer wave lengths wire is the only way to go can you imagine stacking a 2 or 3 80 meter half waves to increase gain. or better yet a 2 5/8 wave 80 meter vertical .however a set of co phased log periodic's would be cool on a huge hundred foot tower maybe fed by heliax . dreams for the day when I have money to throw away

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
Ill have to try and dig out the plans for a 80 m roatable vertical beam......4 60 ft poles and some phasing and it is a lot of fun!!!!!!!! I used to sit in central kansas and pop back and forth between the north and south pole...working phone patches for the guys!!!! Now days they just grab a sat--phone!!!!

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
that would be cool. By the way Jerry do you ever get on the radio any more

Havent been on low bands for 10-15 years....2-m and 440 some but been a while.....I will look for the info on the vert beam in the next few days and try to put it on here...right now Mom is in the hospital getting a new set of knees and Ill be spending most of my time with her...It was in an old /new then!!!Qst....it will be comming.....

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
Ok...Don...I found the old file that I had made up on the vert.beam.....PM me an address..and tonight when I get home I will make a copy of my figures and materal lists...and a copy of the artical I built off of.....I had forgotten that I had figured out the set ups for 40,20,15 10 mter set ups will send that also...The main thing is the bases of the elements have to be on the same plane...I dont have the room any more or I eould do it again...Later Jerry.....:smile:

For those who want to look up the artical It was on page 27 -30 of the April 1976 QST......Yes I thought it was a joke to....until I put a pensel to it and found out it would work and built a 20 m first..and then the 80m.....

Last edited:

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
Don
the litature on the vert beam is in an envelope and will drop it at the postoffice on the way to see Mom in the morning.....,It takes some work to build it ..but it was fun to be able to drop transmition...reach up and twist the knob and pick up the conversation again!!! Have fun!!!

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
Hi Don...Droped the envelope in the mail this morning.....sent first class so it shouldnt take too long.....well come to think...:whistling:.......being uncle sam and all....maby 6 months!!!!!!!:yum: at any rate its on its way....enjoy!!!