• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

House fire: Are you prepared?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
You don't even know the 1/2 of it Allen... That tree has taken so much abuse but is strong as ever.
Let's back up the picture a little...
Hmmm, concrete storm catch basin to its left. Roots probably didn't like that.
Dig out on the near side and to the right for driveway. Roots probably didn't like that.
Repetitive pruning of any branches under 8' so we have visibility and don't scratch the vehicles.
It's the recipient of everything the town snowplow throws at it including my garbage cans
Thankfully it's not the recipient of road salt. They don't use it around here and I don't put it on the driveway.

Attachments

• CIMG7168.jpg
    CIMG7168.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 225

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Why do you have a different number on the post? Do you think because the mailbox is missing the bills won't come?:hammer:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The mailbox post with no mailbox... The mailbox was smashed off by late night pranksters. The new mailbox is now behind the picture taker. It's built whereby any kid that comes through with a bat will now break their hand or arm before taking out the box.

As for the different number on the post, they came through a few years back (when they wanted these new signs put out) and renumbered all our houses. Our old was 257B. Well, the land we're on was a farm that was subdivided years ago. Each parcel (5-10 acres) got a letter added. So, I actually had 257B & 257C. I left it up until everyone (e.g. UPS) got used to the new numbers. It's gone now.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Time for a timely bump for this thread. I just checked and cleaned all the extinguishers today. For dry powder it is a good idea to turn them over a few times to make sure the powder is still loose inside. Check the gauge and pull pin for easy operation and mentally review how to properly use it. On the next trip out your road look for overhead obstacles and see how visible your house number is at night. Time spent now could save your life.

RNE228

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
This was a timely bump. A lot of good information in the original posts.

One thing I did over the last year, is add an auto gate opener. We have remotes, and it has a key pad at the gate.

What I did not get, was a low security key system. My "Mighty Mule" gate opener works with them. This is the key the Fire Dept, EMS, or SO would carry. In our area, you have to go thru the FD to get the lock box.

Does not help to put a gate opener up, and effectively lock out fire/EMS/LEO...

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I am prepared.
I have all important documents kept in a fireproof box.
Escape door right next to the bedroom where Gretch and I sleep.
Smoke alarm and smoke detector working fine.
The fire extinguisher is right under the kitchen cupboard.
The trunk of the car is filled with other survival gear.
If this place ever catches on fire, I've been told it'll only take 5 minutes to burn to the ground from start to finish, so yes.. I am prepared.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
And trim your dang trees back. Change the batteries when the time changes. I would sooner have 7 detectors going off than wake up on fire.