• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tucker Pontoon Weights

Donald McMullin

Has anyone ever weighed both of the standard size steel and fiberglass pontoons to see what the weight difference is, if any between these two designs??

I am curious as to why the fiberglass pontoon was introduced, if not for a weight difference. The Tucker brochure on the fiberglass pontoons does not list any real advantage over the steel except for the bend radius for the roller track, and the adjustable end plates to make track tension adjustments.

Any additional information and/or comments regarding the advantages/disadvantages of the fiberglass pontoons will be appreciated.

Deep Enough
Donald McMullin

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm not a Tucker guy, but someone told me a while back that the fiberglass was introduced as a lower maintainence alternative to the steel pontoon because the fiberglass doesn't rust. I don't know if that is true or not.

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think it was noise issues. If you have ever been in a fiberglass pontoon equipted machine it is significantly quieter that the steel pontoon machine. They probably did not list this as an advantage in the brochure because they didn't want to draw attention to the noise level of the standard Tucker. None the less, the fiberglass pontoons were not very durable and prone to cracking and delaminating under heavy use.

Donald McMullin

Thanks for all of your comments. Still wonder about the weight difference.

Snowcat Operations, in 1988 in lived in Elko during the start of the "Gold" boom. I lived over on 3rd St behind the Stockman.

I live in Gilbert, Arizona now, but the home for by new/old Tucker will be outside of Silverton, Colorado.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I live in Ruth Nevada (next to ELY). Dmiesner and Byoung live in ELKO. I havent been to Silverton unless I was driving on through late at night half asleep. Is it far from ELY?

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Last time I was in Silverton there was a Swamp Spryte (in need of repair) in a back yard right off main street. Hey Tucker guys!!! Aren't you guys going to weigh in on the fiberglass pontoons? How are we gonna learn anything if you don't voice up? Rust, noise, both? I know some of you are running fiberglass.

Wannafish

Floppy Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Tuckers have pontoons? Is it so they can float?

Hey! Cut me some slack here - I'm just learing!

Polar

I currently have both pontoons off my '59 Sno-kitten (working on gear box now). I'd love to weigh them but they are REALLY heavy. All I have is a regular bathroom scale, so I'm open to ideas on how to weigh these big suckers! I'll tell ya that they need a wheeled auto floor jack to move them around in my garage. And this is with out any tracks on them. From the weight of the the pontoons and tracks, I would guess that the combined total weight of these items is easily more than one half the weight of a whole Sno-kitten (1575 lbs)!

As far a rust, my pontoons are cesspools of old grease and oil. No rust could live in the interior that's for sure. Inside runs the open chain drive from the axle to the track drive drum sprocket, which has been greased and oiled numerous times over it's life. I doubt the inside of the pontoon has ever been cleaned!

So far I'm guessing that weight may have been the reason for going to a fiberglass pontoon. Also judging by the dents on the steel pontoons from hitting stumps and rocks, I'd be very leary of putting fiberglass down there as it's sure to experience much abuse.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Wannafish said:
Tuckers have pontoons? Is it so they can float?

Hey! Cut me some slack here - I'm just learing!
Oh my snowcat deficient friend, you have much to learn :whip:
The "classic" series Tucker Sno-Cats, those that comprise the models designated by 3 digit numbers (200 to 900 series Sno-Cats) had a design where a set of steel tracks rotated around a steel (or later steel & fiberglass) assemblies that are commonly referred to as 'pontoons.'

Pictures below show the basic evolution of the Tucker track system.
Picture 1 = Pontoon style steel tracked Tucker Sno-Cat
Picture 2 = Rubber Belted tracks with steel cleats around boggie wheel
Picture 3 = All rubber "Terra Track" system

Attachments

• Steel-Track.jpg
    Steel-Track.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 321
  • Rubber-Belts.jpg
    Rubber-Belts.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 332
  • Terra-Track.jpg
    Terra-Track.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 331

Donald McMullin

Polar, if you could borrow one more scale you should be able to weigh each pontoon so long as their empty weight is not more than 500 lbs.

First make sure each scale reads the same for a known weight. Place a board between the two scales, place the front of the pontoon on the center of the board between the scales. Block up the rear of the pontoon at an equal distance from the center of the pontoon.

Add the weight shown on both scales, minus the weight of the board, multiply by two and that will equal the weight of the pontoon.

It would be interesting to find out the weight difference. Yes, I know will be a lot of work.

Donald McMullin

Polar, sorry my mistake, you have a snow kitten which has an 18x109 long pontoon. Yes, each of your pontoons will weight more than each pontoon on a four track unit.

Yes, my proceedure for weighing your pontoon will not be exact in your case because your pontoon are not symmetrical.

I would still be interested to see what your pontoon weight is, if possible.

Wannafish

Floppy Member
SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
Oh my snowcat deficient friend, you have much to learn :whip:
The "classic" series Tucker Sno-Cats, those that comprise the models designated by 3 digit numbers (200 to 900 series Sno-Cats) had a design where a set of steel tracks rotated around a steel (or later steel & fiberglass) assemblies that are commonly referred to as 'pontoons.'

Thanks Bob - Gee, I feel smarter already!

I've seen a Tucker somewhat like the one in picture #1 in our area, though it's been a couple of years. Hoping I can track (ha ha) it down. I need more toys.