• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Yesterday was a bad day on the farm

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Some of you may remember that my German short hair has cancer. Actually it seems to be very slow in progressing. He is still very happy...

But the Husky came down with what I thought was an infection of the mouth. I took him to the vet yesterday morning. The Doc had to put him to sleep to get a look in his mouth. I held him till the drugs took effect, then left..

Soon the vet called to tell me what he found. Cancer, on the tongue and the floor of the mouth. He suggest I put him down while asleep. :unsure:

So in the end that is what we did. I had thought when the short hair was gone, at least I would have the Shilo, the Husky dog at least..

I was wrong.

Regards, Kirk

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ahhhhh, so sorry to hear that Kirk.
They are one of the family and a huge part of your daily life. It's so hard when they pass, but to me, even worse when it is a total surprise. No time to prepare.
Hang in there man.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm so sorry to hear that. :(

May there be lots of cats, squirrels, fields and shade in doggy heaven.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Struggling with this now here too.

So sorry for the loss of your Shilo.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
:sad: gosh I'm sorry to hear that, Kirk.
I know it's not going to be that long before Gretchen's time comes.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
sorry to hear that it was rough on me to loose MacArthur and Boss Dog has his own personality there is still an emptiness for a dog that helped raise 4 kids and would speak when he heard the command who is a republican during show and tell at school.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry to hear of your loss, Kirk!! Losing a pet is at least like losing a best friend, at most like losing a child.
Mike

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes this hurts a lot when I think about it. It was so sudden, and for the most part unexpected. The toughest two things were telling the Doc to go ahead and stop him from suffering any more, and telling the family. I now realize that I had seen the signs, but by that time there was little that could have been done. I talked to the Doc this morning and he confirmed to me that Shilo had one of the worst cases he had come across, in any dog. Eating and drinking and panting, some thing a husky does constantly this time of year with winter fur and warm days, were getting more difficult. He did his best to soldier on like any dog does..

The short hair loves the return of warm weather. Just the opposite of the husky. As I said his cancer seems to be frozen in time, for now any way.. I have a friend who wants to try something natural on him, and I think I will let him try it. I have nothing to loose, and extra time with him, while still feeling well.. to gain.

The second hardest thing was to tell my daughter in collage about Shilo. She is the one who brought him here as a 3/4 grown pup some 4 years ago or so. It was really tough for her to accept the choice I made for him. We had a good cry together, as farther and daughter. :sad:

Life is getting really busy here as of now. 2 Semi's on the road delivering grain, and two tractors finishing up the tillage we didn't get done last fall. We did finish up with tillage today, and that's why I am home now. Last night it was 10 in the evening when I got home, and we start at 7 most mornings..

Thanks for your concerns. In time this to shall pass, and become a fond memory... :flowers:

Regards, Kirk

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
Hi, yep it's really bad when a pet dies. One of my cats died on the same day as my brother. That REALLY stunk. Shitty day.