• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Firearms Registration Act Introduced In Pennsylvania

Bamby

Firearms Registration Act Introduced In Pennsylvania

A new bill introduced in Pennsylvania would establish a gun registry within the state.

HB0768 is known as the Firearms Registration Act. The Democrats that introduced the bill were Mary Louise Isaacson (D), Angel Cruz (D), and Mary Jo Daley (D). Last Friday, the General Assembly referred the bill to the committee on judiciary.

The bill would require gun owners in the Keystone State to register their firearms with the Pennsylvania State Police. Owners would have to provide the police with the make, model, and the serial numbers of all their guns.

Along with the application that the gun owner must swear to under oath, the gun owner would have to submit fingerprints, two photographs that are no older than 30 days and go through a background check for each firearm that they own. This background check is the same one that they must go through to purchase a gun.

In addition to this requirement, they must also provide the Pennsylvania State Police with their home and work address, telephone number, social security number, date of birth, age, sex, and citizenship. This requirement is more information than a person needs to vote.

If the State Police rejects the person's application, then they will have ten days to appeal the decision. The owner must turn their firearms into the State Police within three days of receiving notification of the rejection. If a person does not appeal the decision within ten days, their right is forfeit.

A gun owner cannot transfer any unregistered firearm. Anyone caught with an unregistered gun is guilty of a crime even if they are unaware of the firearm registration status. Also just holding an unregistered firearm at a range is a crime.

The gun owner must keep all firearms unloaded and disassembled or bound by a trigger lock. If a firearms owner doesn't secure their firearm that way, they would be guilty of a crime. This rule even applies to homes with no children.

The gun owner has 48 hours to update the State Police if they change jobs, phone numbers, addresses, or anything else on the application. If they do not update the State Police, then they could be prosecuted for violating the law.

The certificate which will cost $10 per firearm will expire after one year. The gun owner would have to start the process over again to renew their certification. This process must be done 60 days before the certificate expires. The procedure can get confusing for gun owners with large collections.

The bill makes no mention of how the state will enforce the law.
Other states that have tried gun registration and bans have seen limited success. New Jersey has had zero magazines turned in since their magazine ban went into effect.

New York saw nearly one million firearms owners defy the state law to register their “assault weapons.” The same thing played out in Connecticut when only 50,000 out of 350,000 registered their semi-automatic rifles.

Expanding a registry to all firearms will be impossible to enforce without conducting door to door searches of houses. It is unclear how these Democrats plan to deal with this reality.

None of the bill’s sponsor responded to our request for comment.

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/03/firearms-registration-act-introduced-in-pennsylvania/#ixzz5i3Cniik2

I never ever thought Pa would be on the leading edge of the charge on this issue. In growing up a lot of my relatives went to Pa. schools and it seamed they received a far richer education in history both in state and constitutional practices. The schools had rifle teams that competed throughout the state. And now to think all that heritage has came down to this...

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hopefully it comes down to the second amendment to the U.SA. Constitution, and the State will capitulate to our nations constitution, not some left wing wet dream...

Regards, Kirk

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
If I owned firearms, which I do not, I would NEVER obey that law. No way in hell would I ever register my firearms with the state. They could kiss my ass and go right straight to hell before I ever did anything like that. The liberals who want this can all go eff off. If they can disobey laws they do not agree with, so could I.

Just saying of course.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
There is no reason for the State to know you own a gun, and to now what guns you own, other than their desire to know WHO owns a gun and what guns do they own.

Why do they need this information?

Crooks won't register with the state any more than with the Federal registration.

People who wish to be legal and fear their government will register. They are the very ones who should fear their government.

Hopefully there are a great number of those who will hand over their ammo before surrendering their weapons.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
There is no reason for the State to know you own a gun, and to now what guns you own, other than their desire to know WHO owns a gun and what guns do they own.

Why do they need this information?

Crooks won't register with the state any more than with the Federal registration.

People who wish to be legal and fear their government will register. They are the very ones who should fear their government.

Hopefully there are a great number of those who will hand over their ammo before surrendering their weapons.

DISOBEY!!

road squawker

GOLD Site Supporter
.... This is not firearm "registration" Per se , it is actually an APPLICATION to own/possess a firearm, with a required monetary payment.

That legally makes it a Permit.

by nature some "Applications" will be disapproved for what ever so called "reasons".

I can't believe that "they" require a persons Citizenship information.

Attachments

• rersist.jpg
    rersist.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

rugerman

What a crock, the very state that the beautiful Pennsylvania long rifle came from is now wanting to register firearms, registration is the first step to confiscation, something that the second amendment forbids.
Back when I got out of college I was talking to the local county sheriff (old friend and a fishing buddy of my father) at that time there was a big push for gun control , I told him that I would not turn in my guns without a fight and that he should not come to my house to take my guns, to which he said “Hell David if they try that crap around here I will come to your place and we will hold them off there”.
I still feel the same way and I will not give up my guns without a fight! Like the old saying goes “from my cold dead fingers”.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
It always comes down to control of the populace!! The state police will now want their budget increased for all the extra personnel and additional eqpt. required to enforce this law and the budget increase will far exceed the revenue gained from it.
Mike

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
My home state is now considering rolling back the high capacity magazine ban that went into effect last October. The State Police and the Sheriff's Association both warned the lawmakers that they did not have both the desire or resources to enforce such a law because they considered such a law totally unenforceable. In other words, they would be pissing into the wind while wasting time and money. The state is also facing huge legal costs in defending this in court. The NRA, GOA and GOV has promised to take it all the way to SCOTUS if needed.

Of course the stupid Dems did not listen. Now all the Biathlon athletes that come to the world class training site in Underhill are coming in violation of the law because their competition requires more than 10 round mags.

Stupid effing Democrats. People ask me all the time why I despise Democrats so much. I aways answer that question with anther question. How long do you have? :yum:

rugerman

High capacity magazine bans are just plain stupid, there are lots of ways to circumvent them, if you have a AR just tape 2 or 3 , 10 or more round magazines together, or if you are talking about a handgun just learn to change magazines faster, or practice so you can make your shots count (don’t spray and pray).

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
High capacity magazine bans are just plain stupid, there are lots of ways to circumvent them, if you have a AR just tape 2 or 3 , 10 or more round magazines together, or if you are talking about a handgun just learn to change magazines faster, or practice so you can make your shots count (don’t spray and pray).

So you are saying, make every shot count.
Good advice when they come for my ammo.

Last edited:

rugerman

Before my arthritis got so bad I reloaded for every gun that I owned, except for rimfires so I have a bunch of ammo and if you shoot much reloading is a real money saver, and you can customize loads to your guns. And you don’t have to wait at the sporting goods counter for a clerk to show up, or pay higher prices at the local gun store, most gun shows have someone selling reloading supplies, so you don’t have to pay hazmat fees like you would by buying mail order. Reloading is just another facet to your gun hobby.