• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

To buy (replace), or not to buy??

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
This is sort of home improvement. I'm really debating on a relatively small issue. The air compressor I have in my barn is 20 years old, but still works. It is making strange noises, but still works. I use it all the time for not only auto repairs etc., but for all sorts of projects. Here is my quandary; the new Rural King right by me has new 6.5 hp air compressors with 60 gallon tanks on sale for $349. Also, for the first week this store is open, there is a coupon to take 10% of your purchase. That makes a new compressor for me $314.10. It is larger, stronger, and faster than what I have now. However, what I have now is not broken. What is a guy to do???!! :smileywac

Also, what do I do with the spare washer, dryer, 50 gallon water heater, and dishwasher that are taking up room in my barn? These are also items that were "on the brink" that I replaced. Should I give up my "pack rat" ways and dump them to make more room?

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
However, what I have now is not broken. What is a guy to do???!! Buy the new one, & sell the old one while it still works. (It's called upgrading). It works with most equipment but not with wives. Used but still working wives ( without the loud annoying noises some make) are a hard sell & the cost of upgrading may not be the best thing for your financial portfolio...........

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dargo,

Go for it!!! Never hurts to have a "spare" of everything.
What would it be like if you only had a single 9/16" wrench?

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Okay! I'm gonna buy a new air compressor!! :) Thanks for the thoughts!

Hmm, is it my imagination, or is it much easier to spend money if you don't really think about it...:smileywac

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Dispose of the used appliances now or they will be disposed of when you are deceased by someone else that is cleaning up. In this neck of the woods we have a computer e mail group called freecycle and you post to give things away. People will contact you and come and take them off your hands. These groups are starting all across the country. Usually a Yahoo group like this... click here Just don't make the mistake of collecting other peoples throw aways that you have no use for.

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Well, looks like your mind is made up. What I was going to suggest, is logic that Jan and many other wives use when running into a sale. Doesn't matter if you need it now or not. The key to it is that you're going to need it anyway. Now, when is not the issue, only that you're "going" to need it. For some reason, it never works for me.:confused: :wave: