• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Cleaning up an old 17" South Bend lathe

PineRidge

Back From the Dead
Not to long ago we picked up a South Bend lathe that dates back to the 60s. We want to take the lathe down to repaint, and replace worn parts on it. Starting from the ground up.

Thought we would share the progress with you.......

This is where it all starts......

Attachments

• start (Small).jpg
    start (Small).jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 96

PineRidge

Back From the Dead
We purchased a Harbor Freight pin scaler which quickly knocks the paint, rust, and crud off the lathe. In this picture you can see the difference.

Attachments

• scaler (Small).jpg
    scaler (Small).jpg
    50 KB · Views: 97

PineRidge

Back From the Dead
Fast forward to the bare bed, scaled, degreased, and prime coated.

They don't use the same amount of steel in the modern counterparts. maybe that why South Bend is the most popular USA made lathe.

Attachments

• primedbed (Small).jpg
    primedbed (Small).jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 96

PineRidge

Back From the Dead
Now we're focusing our attention on the two base pedestals.

Attachments

• base1 (Small).jpg
    base1 (Small).jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 98

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
not making very fast progress........... What is with the "our attention" and the "we're"....... I thought that you were working alone.. Is that because "the wife" is giving you moral support??????

PineRidge

Back From the Dead
She's sanding as fast as she can but it's hard to do all the housework and my dirty work to boot. Maybe I'll take her out to dinner at McDonalds when the projects finished. :whistle:

PineRidge

Back From the Dead
I used the pallet forks and a couple of straps to flip the bed this morning. It would seem that South Bend doesn't paint the bottom of their beds. :pat: This one was bare and only needed degreasing before being primed. Since the lathe is down this far I figured a little paint on the bottom can't hurt.

Attachments

• bottom1 (Small).jpg
    bottom1 (Small).jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 85

PineRidge

Back From the Dead
This is the bracket that mounts the 3 phase 5 HP motor. It is primed and painted. The color that we chose is Confederate, which is a gray-blue. I think it'll be a neat looking lathe when finished.

Attachments

• motor1 (Small).jpg
    motor1 (Small).jpg
    47 KB · Views: 85

PineRidge

Back From the Dead
Here's a shot of just a few of the gears that we clean, inspect, and bag before painting. For easier assembly I take the part number out of the South Bend parts manual, then write that info along with the page number on each Zip-Lock bag before dropping the part in the bag. It save a lot of, "What the hell is this, later on." :eek:

When you take any machine this far down you understand better exactly how it works when you move a particular lever or switch. Plus you find parts that need to be replaced before other damage is done. Today I came across the first set of ball bearings that were in bad need of replacement.

Attachments

• gearhead1 (Small).jpg
    gearhead1 (Small).jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 85

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
I can't believe that he is doing all this work just so he can present me with a beautiful looking and serviceable lathe... It is amazing what a man will do for his son in law........Junk.. :thumb: :whistle:

PineRidge

Back From the Dead
Here's a picture of a few of the same gears shown earlier now cleaned, checked, and painted.

Attachments

• gear2 (Small).jpg
    gear2 (Small).jpg
    43 KB · Views: 55

PineRidge

Back From the Dead
Still cleaning up the bases. A lot of sanding and a little primer so far.

Attachments

• base2 (Small).jpg
    base2 (Small).jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 55

PineRidge

Back From the Dead
The bed is now painted and it came out nice. Still need to clean a bit of paint off the ways.

Attachments

• paintedbed (Small).jpg
    paintedbed (Small).jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 56

JimR

Charter Member
Very nice job, So when you can have this finished and deliver it to my garage for me??

PineRidge

Back From the Dead
Thanks Scott! :thumb:

Here's some info that was passed to me on a manufacturing forum that I'm a member of:

Pineridge, you lucky dog, I can't believe this went so cheap. There were three sold by the same guy, the first went for $900, the second for $800 and you got yours for $512. This is a Turn nado, all of them had hardened beds, and back in the 60's when they sold, they sold new for what in today,s dollars would be $20,000 to $25,000 each. These look to be in excellent condition. I guarentee that you can't find a heavy ten for $500, no matter what the condition. You are lucky that I couldn't figure out a way to get the thing to Montana in any inexpensive manner, cause I was going to bid on one of those if I could. Congratulations I hope you enjoy the lathe. I wouldn't waste any time or effort on painting it now, I would use it a few years and paint it later. It looks good now.

PineRidge

Back From the Dead
The bases are now nearly finished (primed & painted) and I'm real close to being able to reinstall the bed as soon as the paint has had a chance to cure a bit.

Attachments

• base7.jpg
    base7.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 33

PineRidge

Back From the Dead
Here's just one of many of the small piles of dismantled compontents that have been dipped in the stripper awaiting further clean up & inspection for any worn parts before they meet up with the gray-blue paint.

Attachments

• stripped.jpg
    stripped.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 32

PineRidge

Back From the Dead
Here's a few large chucks, faceplates, and tool holders that have yet to be cleaned.

Attachments

• chucks.jpg
    chucks.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 46

PineRidge

Back From the Dead
Today we switched to the body & fender mode while we were waiting for the paint to cure on the bases. Most of the smaller pieces end up in this 5 gallon pail of paint stripper to get the three old coats of paint loosesned. At least this started as 5 gallons of stripper.

Attachments

• bucket.jpg
    bucket.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 38

PineRidge

Back From the Dead
Some sheet metal parts in various stages of being cleaned.

Attachments

• bare.jpg
    bare.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 38

PineRidge

Back From the Dead
Here we are prepping the top of the headstock with some good old fashioned Bondo to make the cast smoother before paint. We painted this piece previousely but weren't happy with the fact that it wasn't as smooth as we expected it to be, so it was restripped and the Bondo added.

My wife says I'm a perfectionist, I don't agree with her. ;)

Attachments

• top.jpg
    top.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 38

PineRidge

Back From the Dead
More sheet metal prep for today's agenda.

More later.......

Attachments

• sheetmetal.jpg
    sheetmetal.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 37

Himself

I found one too. It's amazing what one may find lurking at the back of the shop once the lights are on.
It may never be mine but I can use it anytime.
This one has the taper attachment on the back of the cross-slide.
No DRO but that's no big deal.
These lathes are one heck of a machine, you will be happy for many years given the rebuild. Not sure about the confederate grey though, MTBA grey is what I think they call this color.

Attachments

• IMG_0078_edited.jpg
    IMG_0078_edited.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0079.jpg
    IMG_0079.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0080.jpg
    IMG_0080.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 20