• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Spending the day with a hoe.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Spending the day with a hoe. Clearing mini landslide that blocks our way to river docks.

Attachments

• hoe042315=1.jpg
    hoe042315=1.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 87
  • hoe042315=2.jpg
    hoe042315=2.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 86

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Since it's there, are you going to have it clear the whole trail?

Can the how reach out to your dock and push it back down?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Since it's there, are you going to have it clear the whole trail?

Can the how reach out to your dock and push it back down?

Nope, can't even come close to the dock with the hoe. Besides, I had enough work to fill the 8 hours of running time I was paying for, and that was about it.

Used the jack hammer attachment on the hoe more than the bucket. Lots of rock but the jack hammer pounded it into a manageable size. Trail is passable once again.

Attachments

• hoe042315=3.jpg
    hoe042315=3.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 76
  • hoe042315=4.jpg
    hoe042315=4.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 76
  • hoe042315=5.jpg
    hoe042315=5.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 75
  • hoe042315=6.jpg
    hoe042315=6.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 75
  • hoe042315=7.jpg
    hoe042315=7.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 76

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
hay!! with that view....Squerly would have just built a house where the rock was!!!!!! nice solid foundation :whistling:

Looking good Doc!!!

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
hay!! with that view....Squerly would have just built a house where the rock was!!!!!! nice solid foundation :whistling:

Looking good Doc!!!
:yum: And I would have built there also but the roads to get there are not vehicle friendly. I'd have to hibernate in the winter. If I didn't have to work maybe that would be a good thing.

grizzer

So I have questions
1. Was that a 50/60 series Deere?
2. Did it have a hydraulic quik tach for attachments? If not, how much hassle with wedge pins & bolt to changeover?
3. How handy was the grapple?

Machine looks to have tail weight which busts 14K gross so how did you haul it?

I've been looking at the 35/50/60 for awhile to replace my old TLB. Dealer keeps getting in low houred 60's with long arm & weight which push past my self imposed 26K GCVW.

The narrower 35 is easy to transport & fit down woods trails but the larger units have more weight & reach for bank mowing & help pull eq. out of the mud..

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
What Zoom and the others said.
Looks good, Doc.
Lovely environs you got there.

luvs, you cracked me up. lol

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
So I have questions
1. Was that a 50/60 series Deere?
2. Did it have a hydraulic quik tach for attachments? If not, how much hassle with wedge pins & bolt to changeover?
3. How handy was the grapple?

Machine looks to have tail weight which busts 14K gross so how did you haul it?

I've been looking at the 35/50/60 for awhile to replace my old TLB. Dealer keeps getting in low houred 60's with long arm & weight which push past my self imposed 26K GCVW.

The narrower 35 is easy to transport & fit down woods trails but the larger units have more weight & reach for bank mowing & help pull eq. out of the mud..

That was a series 60.
Rented it and had it delivered. It came on an 18 wheeler flat bed. Over kill but they haul a lot of different setups.

No quick attachments. Manually changing over was not to bad. the bolt and pins were easy peezy. Snapping in the hydraulic lines was the toughest.

The grapple / thumb was used primarily to carry the jack hammer attachment to and from the work site. Was able to lay it down and do a little work on the way then pick it back up all from the seat. Handy but not necessary for the majority of yesterdays work.

If you would not be hauling it much you could hire the hauler when needed. I would love to have a unit like this on my property for general maintenance and taming the terrain but I sure cannot afford one, darn it.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Would a dozer with a 6 way blade have worked? I think it would have been much faster... Or not?

Regards, Kirk

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
The rock would have been a problem for a small dozer......

a rock hammer stands out at that point!!

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Would a dozer with a 6 way blade have worked? I think it would have been much faster... Or not?

Regards, Kirk
I had a big dozer fix the same spot last year. The rock was to much for the dozer. It was way to big and so far back into the hill. At that point he operator suggested a hoe with a hammer but I could not swing it then. After the land slip we could no longer use the road so I had to go with the hoe and hammer to get er done. The hoe was the right tool for this job for sure.

grizzer

That was a series 60.
Rented it and had it delivered. It came on an 18 wheeler flat bed. Over kill but they haul a lot of different setups.

No quick attachments. Manually changing over was not to bad. the bolt and pins were easy peezy. Snapping in the hydraulic lines was the toughest.

The grapple / thumb was used primarily to carry the jack hammer attachment to and from the work site. Was able to lay it down and do a little work on the way then pick it back up all from the seat. Handy but not necessary for the majority of yesterdays work.

If you would not be hauling it much you could hire the hauler when needed. I would love to have a unit like this on my property for general maintenance and taming the terrain but I sure cannot afford one, darn it.

Thanks for the observations.

Local dealer has a couple of 60G's with 36" buckets which is kind of a moose for my use but could make it work until I run across a 24".

Issue with Deere is the dealer will not add 2 hyd. circuits not including the thumb, because the machine still has warranty left.

Cat has a machine with 2 factory circuits QT and thumb, a little less weight & reach.

It is a little spendy, but multiple tasks like horiz axis mower, thumb, QT, and a woodsplitter, shrinks stuff in the shed. (along with pinched fingers & toes.)

Either machine is a hauling problem but I'd rather have a little more weight than not enough if something is stuck in the mud.