• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

The Geography Of A Recession

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
So it is mostly the industrial states, which I don't find surprising since that is what this country has lost over the last couple of decades.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I live in the dark county on the new york /penna. border and it is over 11% now. Same for Potter county Pa. and Mckean county. Even timber harvesting is hurting around here and most are barely getting by doing odd jobs here and there. Alstom transportation where I used to work is down to less than 160 people from a high of 1800 three years ago. Industry has ground to a halt and no end in sight.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
So it is mostly the industrial states, which I don't find surprising since that is what this country has lost over the last couple of decades.
Joe, review the map more carefully, Pennsylvania and New York are both industrial state, both have lower unemployment than Indiana and Kentucky which are mixed economy states. Maine has very high unemployment, as does Michigan and California, those are very diverse states, but Maine's neighbors New Hampshire and Vermont seem to have lower unemployment.

Clearly the plains states, those with low populations to begin with have some of the lowest unemployment rates but those states represent a very small % of the total population.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I don't know for sure about those states but Kentucky is and industrial state really. Most of the work here is factory type manufactures from Toyota to adult diapers such as depends and woman's hygiene products.. As for the others most of these used to be manufacture states such as Michigan. I do know none are now and trying to diversify but it isn't working out well for many at this time.