• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Looking for a CJ

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm looking for a Jeep CJ. Most appear to be the 4cyl version. I had a 6cyl 75 CJ5 and thought that was underpowered. So, I'm shying away from the 4cyl models ....but I wonder if the 4cyl has been geared correctly and can now do the job?
I might need to tow a boat or trailer on occsion so towing capacity is also a concern. Does anyone use their Jeep to tow with ...I'd like to hear how it does and how much weight they are rated for (if anyone has that info).
Maybe more later, but that's enough to start. :D

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
When I was looking around for a project car (before I bought my 67 Jeepster Deluxe Convertible) I was also looking at some of the Jeep CJs, Pinzguaers, old Rovers, Toyota FJs, etc. I'm not positive, but I think I remember reading that they had a towing capacity of roughly 4000 to 4500#. I pretty much gave up on using any of them for a potential tow vehicle for anything heavier than a landscape type trailer (and I don't have one of those). I think the Pinz had more 'rated' capacity but users said they were dramatically overrated.

cj7

Hey DOC

I have a CJ here that I might sell. If not I have a few buddies that find them all the time.

What exactly are you looking for? a 5 or a 7? what years?

I can also answer most any question you might have about them.

As for towing. I will have to look in one of my books at home for the rated capacity. I will tell you we have towed the pop up wich is about 2000lbs with no problems. It is not so much on the power side of the equation but on the handling side.

a few places to look while you shopping.

www.forums.hrja.org

www.4wd.com/4wdforums

Where in OH are ya DOC?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Interesting Bob. I've seen them towing boats upwards of 6000 pounds. Normally they only go a short distance (to the camping ground from the boat ramp). Maybe they were pushing their limits.
My boat is 6000 pounds, so I was hoping it could tow that. I have a truck that normally does it, but it's always nice to have a backup, just in case.
However, not being able to tow 6k would not be a deal breaker.
...and to make it tougher, I'm only wanting to spend 5 or 6k for it. (I'll go more for if I have to, but that is my target for now). I plan to use it a lot on my back 40 so I want the open top of a CJ / Wranger ....in fact I'll get a Jeep or a RTV of somesort (I know, RTV are double what I'm hoping to spend).
I looked at a 98 CJ today for 6, but it was a 4cyl. Otherwise it was in excellent shape.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks CJ.

I'm 2 hours from Wheeling ... A little over 3 to Tittsburg :pat: I mean Pittsburgh. :D. Marietta is the closest town you could easily find on the Map.

edit to add:
CJ said:
What exactly are you looking for? a 5 or a 7? what years?

I guess I'm looking for the most bang for the buck or newest for the buck CJ. What is the difference in the 5 & 7?

russellmn

CJ5 had about a 85" wheelbase, CJ7 was 92" (I think these # are right, but the is shorter) YJ was a little longer yet ('87-96) and TJ got coil springs (97-06). You won't find a TJ for $6k, but you can find YJ's for that.
One thing that someone else mentioned was handling with trailer. Quite simply, CJs and Wranglers are NOT suited for towing anything bigger than a small, short trailer. The short wheelbase doesn't like long trailers.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Russell.

Next question: I have really rough terrain. Which size does best on muddy hilly terrain? I have some rocks, but nothing like I see the rock crawlers doing on the 4x4 shows.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I had a 84 CJ7, 6 cyl. No way I'd tow a 6000 lb boat any distance!

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Big Dog said:
I had a 84 CJ7, 6 cyl. No way I'd tow a 6000 lb boat any distance!
Yeah, from what I'm hearing I won't ever tow the boat with a CJ. That's okay, I still need one. :D

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
What is the difference between a Wrangler and a CJ? Is Wrangler just a package they add to some CJ's? :confused:

cj7

The Wrangler name started in 1987 with the YJ and continues through to the TJ in 1997 and the JK of today. There are differences between all of these jeeps.

The YJ was an attempt at making it more stable for the road. It is still a Spring Under Axle rig like the CJ line but they added track bars both front and rear. Slightly wider axles than the CJ. I have never been a big fan of the YJ like alot of people. But you can build them to be very capable. The frames are stronger than the CJ and you can bolt a CJ front clip to it if you want to be ride of those square headlights. I would stay away from any of the carberated models of YJ's none of them run very well due to the emmision controls of the late 80's. A fuel injected YJ runs much better. Also beware of the Peugo 5 spd tranny. Notorious to wear out! It is not worth rebuilding at all. The case wears and you loose clearences.
The AX-5 is not bad for a stock motor. The Auto is based on the TF-999 and is a good unit. Rear axle is a D-35 c-clip design. Easy to break with 35" tires.

The TJ is a great bang for the buck! Solid frame. Coil suspension. Rides great. Lots of lift kits available. 4.0 six is a work horse! Stronger trannys and t-cases. Still need to do a slipyoke eliminator when lifting 4". They still have the D-35 axle unless you buy a Rubicon package. But that will take more than $6K. You can find early TJ's for under $6k all over the place. They may have high miles. But can still be in great chape and have lots of like left in them.

The JK is refined a bit more than the TJ but may be out of the price range.

The CJ-7 was built between 1976 and 1986. Early versions came with narrow track axles, 4,6,8 cyl. 3 spd tranny, later you could get 4spd and wide track axles. The model 20 rear end is a two piece design and works fine under stock rigs. There is a 1 piece shaft kit for them the is a regular flanged axle. Much stronger and is about $300.00. If you happen to find a 1986 model look for a D-44 axle under it. Some had it some did not. It has the one piece design and a higher spline count. CJ's can be built to the hilt like any other jeep. They were all carberated engines so if you desire fuel injection you will need to convert it. There are kits from $1000.00 and up or do a later model driveline swap.

i think for what you are looking to do with the jeep any cj or later Yj or early Tj will fit the bill. I would stear away from the early Yj with the carb as I mentioned above. Most of them that come out on the trail have problems.

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
Doc said:
What is the difference between a Wrangler and a CJ? Is Wrangler just a package they add to some CJ's? :confused:
Hey Doc......CJ means civillian jeep, which was the term used for them post WWII thru 1986. Then the series was "YJ" which went thru 1995, then TJ, thru 2006, now it's JK...............Wrangler was a package marketing first used starting in 1987.........go here: Jeep info to find out more.............

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks CJ & Tom.
Just the info I'm looking for. I had no idea on all the models ...and it obviously showed. :eek:
More questions to follow after I do more homework. :D

cj7

Also Doc. The wheelbase is the same for CJ, YJ, TJ.

Any of them will work well in your terrain.

jwstewar

Hey Doc,

Nourse here in Chillicothe has a Jeep on their lot for sale. Don't know anything about it, except is has Wrangler on the side. It has round headlights, but the square parking lights. They had $5890 on the windshield. Wouldn't hurt to give them a call to find out more info. They web address is http://www.noursefamily.com

Edit: Nevermind, just looked it up. It is a 4 cyl.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for keeping an eye out for me. I would have been able to check it out tomorrow. I'm going to be up past Logan.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc..

you'll have to come up to New Castle in August for

www.jeepfest.org

Sure looks like fun CJ. That is prime boating season ... but if I'm not boating you can bet I'll be there.
Thanks for the heads up.

The trail those jeeps are on reminds me of my trails. :thumb:

humor_me

Hey CJ,
I got a couple of questions for you. 2 things that I think ruined the Jeeps over the years

What year did they stop with the tailgate that folds down? I know you can mod this, but what a hassle.

What year did they ruin the Wrangler (TJ?) with air bags?

I've been wanting one too, but I'm still narrowing down what I'm looking for.

I guess my favs are the old CJs with plain metal dash, no radio etc., the plainer the better.

Thanks.

cj7

Good question on the Airbags.

I would have to search for the answer...

The tailgate was changed in 1987 so... you need to get a CJ-7!

Are you looking for one that is ready to go or a project?

I do have an '82 for sale .. but it is a project jeep. Lots of good to start with but still a project.

HGM

Unless my memory fails me, my '93 Wrangler had a tailgate(my '81 CJ-5 doesnt) and no airbags.. Decent Jeep, but the 4cyl soft top made it less desirable on the highway..

cj7

Yes tailgates actuallt continue through todays Wrangler but the swing open toward the passenger side and do not fold down like a pick-up trucks.

Here is a jeep you can win. I know the team that ran this rig in comps. Well built machine. Might be a little overkill for woods running. ut what the heck .. the proceeds go to a good cause.

www.schooljeep.com

humor_me

Yes tailgates actuallt continue through todays Wrangler but the swing open toward the passenger side and do not fold down like a pick-up trucks.

Here is a jeep you can win. I know the team that ran this rig in comps. Well built machine. Might be a little overkill for woods running. ut what the heck .. the proceeds go to a good cause.

[URL="http://www.schooljeep.com"]www.schooljeep.com[/URL]

CJ7, see those are the "tailgates" that suck. I like to call them doors.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've found a 94 model with a 6cyl and 123k miles. Looks to be in good shape. $5500. Soft top only.
Is this one I should not buy if it's a carb model?
Is the price inline?

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
I've found a 94 model with a 6cyl and 123k miles. Looks to be in good shape. $5500. Soft top only.
Is this one I should not buy if it's a carb model?
Is the price inline?

Doc......Being a '94....It's not a carb model.

I've found if it has the inline "6" it's about bullet proof.

If it's not rusty it's worth it !!

My '91 has 173,000 on it & still runs like new with no blow-by or oil consumption !!