• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Jeep Cherokee transmission

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
Just bought 2000 2.4 diesel and got it cheap but have noticed when on a long drive the clutch seems to slip ...i am guessing it is something getting hot and getting techy ....am i looking at a new clutch or could it even be piss poor oil in the gearbox???

110,000 on the clock manual trans.

Never owned one before its just a toy any advice would be great thanks.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 188
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 195

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
I would give real money to be able to buy a 2.4 diesel Cherokee! You are so lucky!

Gearbox oil will not make the clutch slip. At 110k (miles or km?) on the clock a worn clutch is not out of the question. Take it apart, change the disc, pressure plate and surface the flywheel. Then you can see if there is a leaking main or trans seal, and easy fix at that point.

Galvatron

Thanks i was thinking a new full clutch kit and they are not over expensive....110k miles.

now i make you cry...i only paid £650 English pounds for the car so even paying to sort this issue and a dodgy electric window i am thinking i got one serious bargain....the engine does not miss a heart beat.

4x4 works great

Galvatron

Some reason they are cheap here...but i do know a few hundred spent i can sell it for min £2500 all day long.

i hate myself some days lol.

more pics...

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 179
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 186
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 180

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I noticed my son got a safety notice on his. i'm not sure if it is actually a recall.
jim

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Galvy, in the engine bay pic I don't see a clutch master cyl, tho maybe it's there but out of sight in the pic. If it has manual clutch linkage maybe it needs adjusting so the clutch pedal has free play.
Mike

Galvatron

Well on further inspection i have found a oil leak on the transfer box and i have a plan thanks to my newly formed friendship with my brother....

Brothers friend has a re-con gearbox with transfer box sitting in his workshop ,they are coming down next weekend dropping out the old putting in the new with new clutch seals ect and bleeding the whole system for me.

Cost is only going to be the clutch kit and the other parts and labour is dinner beer and a few laughs....happy days.

Only problem i have is my brother wants to buy the Jeep from me and say's he will come with cash i cant refuse :yum::yum::yum:

Thanks for the replies.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
That should fix everything, Galvy. take a good look at the flywheel face while you're in that far.
Mike

Galvatron

That should fix everything, Galvy. take a good look at the flywheel face while you're in that far.
Mike

I will do, as it will all be out i will just go the full hog and make it 100%.

Purchased a little diesel work van today to as that is what i was intending on buying yesterday, its cleaned up well and even my wife enjoys driving it, got a punchy little 1.7 cdti diesel engine in it and will work well for us as a car stroke van has it has 5 seats, it will save us keep using the family car for dirty work.

Attachments

• DSC_0056.jpg
    DSC_0056.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 164
  • DSC_0057.jpg
    DSC_0057.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 161
  • DSC_0055.jpg
    DSC_0055.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 171
  • DSC_0051.jpg
    DSC_0051.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 163

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Galvy, you Brits are lucky you don't have something like the EPA. Maybe you do and it just hasn't started in on diesels like ours has.
Mike

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
AL Gore should move to the UK...

Naa, I would not wish that on our buddies across the pond. Al Gore should move to Russia. We should have diesels available here. Just ain't right. :soapbox:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
look closely at the master cylinder if the rod is adjusted wrong the clutch master wont properly bleed off and it will progressively be like riding with a foot on the clutch. seen this with Toyotas.

Galvatron

I cant get my head round the USA and not wanting Diesel....it's just a way of life here in the UK ,only reason i have is you get more tax $$$ from petrol and Government knows it.

I am getting older by the way so fuck mr environment i want to have fun.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
in the us you get more tax on diesel diesels last for ever, uncle sam wants you trading up every couple of years. so union workers have jobs, and the tree huggers are happy that gross emitters are off the road. now days with dpf's diesel doesn't make as much sense as they average about the same mpg as the gas models. my 89 dodge with a 12 valve is still getting well over 20 mpg

Galvatron

Tomorrow the Jeep gets done....

also noticed it needs a new anti roll bar and a new set of brakes so it will be all sorted fingers crossed when my brother gets here with his side kick....parts i am in at £400 i bet it costs me more in beer than parts:yum::yum::yum:

I am leaving the muppets to it and going out...they have use of a workshop curtsy of another friend of my brother.

All goes well i should only be all in on this old girl for just over £1000, lets see what cash offer i get from my brother:biggrin:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Totally jealous - I would love to have a diesel Cherokee (especially at that price and in that condition).

Galvatron

Totally jealous - I would love to have a diesel Cherokee (especially at that price and in that condition).

Sadly i am thinking of taking a offer for it now it is done, this is a hard one as it is damn fun to drive.

Galvatron

Bye bye Jeep....my Brothers friend loved it way more than me and he gave me £2500 for it and never charged me for the parts in the end ....tidy profit on £650 investment :wink:

Now i have more play money...what could be next:whistling:

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Bye bye Jeep....my Brothers friend loved it way more than me and he gave me £2500 for it and never charged me for the parts in the end ....tidy profit on £650 investment :wink:

Now i have more play money...what could be next:whistling:

There are times you remind me of Mike and Edd from Wheeler Dealers. :yum:

Galvatron

There are times you remind me of Mike and Edd from Wheeler Dealers. :yum:

I cant help myself....i just buy something but in reality it will never be of use to me but i just want to have it on my list of things i have owned.

It was sad seeing it roar off...but happy i saved it from the car heaven above.

Galvatron

And the games begin again....going to look at this today:yum::yum::yum:

Attachments

• $_57.jpg
    $_57.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 164

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like new. Is that an Audi?
edit to add ....saw in your other post it's a BMW. 02. Looks GREAT.

Galvatron

Yes i am now a proud owner of a BMW...another ticked of my list of cars to own :yum::yum::yum:

Paid £660 for it and apart from needing a new sump bolt gasket it fucking drives awesome....i may...just may keep this one.:yum::yum::yum:

Attachments

• 123.jpg
    123.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 153
  • $_57.jpg
    $_57.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 152
  • 12345.jpg
    12345.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 149

Galvatron

now it is home some more shots...

Attachments

• SDC11581.jpg
    SDC11581.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 160
  • SDC11579.jpg
    SDC11579.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 159
  • SDC11577.jpg
    SDC11577.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 160
  • SDC11582.jpg
    SDC11582.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 157

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Very nice. What a buy. It looks new. I've never seen that model over here. Is I a 6 cyl gas engine? I love driving our little bmw z3. It eats up the curves and has so much power to spare. A fun drive. I'm guessing yours will be similar. Enjoy.

Galvatron

1.9i gas engine yes.....fully loaded this thing has more buttons inside than i have ever seen before.

I am impressed with it.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
1.9i gas engine yes.....fully loaded this thing has more buttons inside than i have ever seen before.

I am impressed with it.

Great buy Galvy. My son had the 2.5(?) liter version of that for a while. He said it was an awesome machine in the dry but in ice or snow, "Steering wheel optional" is how he put it. That could probably be said of any car. It didn't put him off because he got another BMW last year, a Series 2 active tourer, 225. He loves it.