• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Audi A6 TDI (diesel)

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just came home with a new 2014 Audi A6 TDI. Went to the dealer to look at cars, bought one.

Got a big discount for buying a 2014 model because the 2015 models are now sitting on the display lot. Also got a discount for the diesel engine, which is exactly what I wanted and which costs a premium price. I live in an area where cars with diesel engines are simply not popular. This car has been sitting on the display lot since late February! Had 106 miles on the ticker.

White with black interior. Never had a white car, but Ive been looking at cars for the past few months and white has become one of my top choices.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 189

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Nice - what's the mileage supposed to be on those?

I love my Jetta TDI Wagon - I can cruise at 80mph and still be getting 38-40 mpg. The wagon part is best since it doesn't draw the attention of the po-po.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Really nice car.

But someone stole it..............

Attachments

• cigarlounge.jpg
    cigarlounge.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 190

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

I love my Jetta TDI Wagon - I can cruise at 80mph and still be getting 38-40 mpg. The wagon part is best since it doesn't draw the attention of the po-po.

EPA says 24 city, 29 combined, 38 highway.

I reset the system on my way home, got 42mpg. But most of the way home was rural highway so that run is a pretty flat road, and pretty consistently 55-to-60mph.

Traditionally the TDI cars get better fuel economy than the EPA claims. I know that is true with our Jetta TDI, by a pretty wide margin.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Really nice car.

But someone stole it..............

Uh, that is an old photo. Near as I can tell, I may have stolen it. Got it for several thousand dollars below the dealer invoice, according to Edumunds. Got it well below the average market price/fair market price. So I am happy with the deal. I am a fan of buying lightly used, to let someone else take the depreciation. In this case the dealer took most of the depreciation on this car. Not sure why the diesels are not more popular. They are awesome!

Car is pretty fast. Has lots of fun stuff on it, its a Wi-Fi hot spot for up to 8 devices. Has Google maps, Google voice recognition, live traffic displayed on the screen, alternate routing based on traffice jams, can find gas stations based on lowest prices posted, find restaurants by type of food, etc. etc. etc.

If I would have ordered it I would have skipped the upgraded Bose system, but I would have added a couple things that I dont have, but probably wont miss either. I am going to have the rear windows tinted dark. Might swap the wheels, or maybe have these painted. I just do not like what came on the car, but overall I am really happy with it.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Haven't you been hankering after one of those since your UK trip years ago?

They're beautiful cars and have been on my wish list for a couple of years, ever since my D-I-L in Scotland got her A4. The sad thing is that I don't drive enough to warrant spending that much on a new car. I doubt that I drive 5K miles a year these days and those 5K miles are spread out over 3 vehicles.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Haven't you been hankering after one of those since your UK trip years ago?

They're beautiful cars and have been on my wish list for a couple of years, ever since my D-I-L in Scotland got her A4. The sad thing is that I don't drive enough to warrant spending that much on a new car. I doubt that I drive 5K miles a year these days and those 5K miles are spread out over 3 vehicles.

I have always liked Audi vehicles, but yes, I did drive an A4 TDI around Wales & Scotland a few years ago and loved it. It was the perfect size for the narrow roads of Wales and had the perfect suspension for the winding mountain roads of Scotland.

Melen earned the right to take the VW Jetta to college. She just started her Sophomore year at the end of August, but due to summer studies, she is now classified as a Junior. Does not have a perfect GPA anymore, but still has very high grades. I have been driving her Jetta around town and loving it, and I would have been happy with an Audi A4, but the lovely Mrs_Bob wanted a somewhat larger sedan in the family as we often have 3 to 4 adults in a car so the backseat leg room was actually an issue to consider.

Oh, and with my middle-aged body firmly in place, getting out of the low seating position of the Jetta TDI at then end of a long day often requires me pulling myself up to get out. So a car with a somewhat higher seating position might come in handy about this time in my life.

Honestly I seriously considered the Toyota Avalon for its rear seat, its semi-sexy lines, but lack of all wheel drive eliminated it from consideration. Clearly I do not live in heavy snow country, but we get a lot of modest snows that make the roads slick in the winter, final cut list was Audi A6, Jaguar XF AWD, MB E250 4 Matic, BMW 5-series iDrive w/diesel.

The Audi and the Jaguar are both beautiful cars, in very different ways. The Jaguar has the nicest interior of the 4 vehicles by a mile. I simply question the reliability of the Jaguar and its AWD system, although adapted from Land Rover, is brand new. The MB E250 has a proven reliable/economical diesel that is more economical than the A6, but the A6 is plenty economical and will blow the E250 off the roadway in a race. The MB E250 also has a pretty boring interior and the exterior, especially the front end and its new sport look, appears to be trying too hard. That leaves the BMW 5 series. Good looking outside, good looking inside, probably 2nd nicest interior. iDrive is supposed to be only so-so in the snow based on folks I know personally who have driven/drive them locally. Like the A6, BMW has a diesel that is both economical and is also quick.

Honestly the sleek German lines of the Audi, the fancy electronics and the understated but beautiful interior, combined with 38mpg, and a 0-60mhp time of 5.5 seconds is a great combination. So for me, winner = A6 TDI

Oh and the Ash woodwork is simply amazing :clap:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 181

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Being that's white, it's a prime suspect for a wrap job. You could wrap it to look like a cuban and write it off as advertising.

I don't think it's illegal to advertise cubans, is it?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Beautiful car. I've always like the looks of Audi's but never driven one. I wonder why EPA cannot estimate milage for a diesel like they do for gassers? They seem to be overly optimistic with gassers, are they trying to discourage the purchase of dielsels? :confused:

I like the slightly used concept. Let someone else take the big depreciation hit if possible. :thumb:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Beautiful car. I've always like the looks of Audi's but never driven one. I wonder why EPA cannot estimate milage for a diesel like they do for gassers? They seem to be overly optimistic with gassers, are they trying to discourage the purchase of dielsels? :confused:
I think it is just because they test in a lab and real world favors diesel while the lab testing favors gas.
I like the slightly used concept. Let someone else take the big depreciation hit if possible. :thumb:
Me too, in this case the dealer ate most of the depreciation.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Really happy (so far) with the new Audi diesel.

The engine is the 3.0L TDI, which is the only diesel imported to the USA in this model (Europe has several choices). For a big car it still amazes me at how quick it is. Audi claims a 0-60 time of 5.5 seconds. One of the car magazines (I think it was Road & Track) claimed to have gotten to 60mph is 5.1 seconds. Regardless of who is correct, the engine puts out plenty of power to move the car effortlessly. It never feels like it is straining.

I also had the windows tinted with a 35% ceramic film tint. It costs more than standard vinyl tint, but is guaranteed to never fade and the local shop that did the tinting came highly recommended by my friendly auto-restoration shop owner. I thought about going to the darker 20% tint but am glad I didn't do that. This is just dark enough to cut some of the glare and tame the sunlight, but not so dark that it will be hard to see out the windows at night. It also looks really nice with the dark grey windows and the white body of the car. Good contrasting look, but not so dark that it looks like I'm hiding something from the po-po!

Next up may be a ECU upgrade from APR Tuning. There is a local(ish) Audi dealer in the northwest suburbs of Chicago that is an APR dealer and will modify the ECU chip and still honor the Audi warranty. Supposed to get better economy and increased torque, pick up, etc.

And speaking of economy, despite the reasonably large engine I'm getting a 'combined' 35+mpg for my daily city/highway driving. Actually the long term trip computer is reading closer to 37mpg, but I expect it will move a bit as I get more miles on the car. Averaging 35-37mpg it appears that I will be getting roughly 675 miles to a tank of fuel (19 gallons).

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Damn, that sure is impressive mileage for a car that size. :wow:

I was considering a car that only got 5 more miles per gallon. I thought, only 5 miles, not much difference. Ha. When I put the numbers to it, if I averaged 20k miles per year I was shocked at how much difference 5 miles per gallon could make. That was going from 26 mpg to 31 mpg. 37mpg in Audi comfort would be huge. Good purchase Bob. :thumb:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc, they have a 2.0 liter gas engine that gets pretty good fuel economy but I would expect it would strain under the size of this car. It is rated at 25 city/33hwy.

They also have a 3.0 liter gas engine. That one is rated at 18/28.

The diesel in my car is also a 3.0 liter. Rated at 24/38. But like I said, I'm averaging a "combined" 35-37 so far, with my "long term" economy just shy of 37 according to the car's computer which was reset over 600 miles ago when I picked the car up at the dealer. I'm curious to see where it sits at 1000 and 5000 miles.

You pay extra for the diesel engine, but in my case they had 2 similarly optioned 2014 cars on the lot, 1 was diesel the other a 3.0L gas. They didn't discount the gas engine as much as the one with the diesel engine because gas engines are more popular. So I got the diesel for less than a gas engine when it should cost more for the diesel.

Also, diesel fuel costs more, but the gas engine requires PREMIUM gas, so the cost difference between Diesel fuel and Premium gas is minimized.

I figure I made out pretty well overall.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
You just covered my 2 misgivings about my owning a diesel auto, additional cost of purchase and additional cost of fuel. Don't get me wrong, I love my diesel truck but driving as few miles a year as I do now, there would be absolutely no cost advantage to me at all. Since you picked it up for the equivalent cost of a gas engined model and the cost of diesel compared to premium isn't that much, you did a heckuva job. Good purchase Bob. Congratulations.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well it gets interestinger and interestinger (and yes, I know that is not a real word). Filled the tank SUNDAY, the "miles to empty" indicator said 620 miles.

Drove to the cigar lounge and back, about 30 miles, car still said 620 miles to empty when I parked it yesterday.

Drove to the dealer this morning to pick up paperwork for my license plate, then to cigar lounge and when I parked the car in the cigar lounge lot it said 625 miles to empty (upper left corner of center screen) and that was after driving another 33+ miles, on a busy state highway with stop lights every quarter mile in front of the biggest mall in northwest Indiana with lots of morning commuter traffic. Just north of 34mpg for this morning's commute, long term average is still close to 37, but slowly dropping. I'll be a very happy man if it stays above 35mpg.

So I have driven roughly 62.4 miles since filling the tank (as per the trip odometer reset) and the miles to empty indicator has gone up 5 miles from 620 to 625.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 143

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
The warning "Short Term Memory" - does that have something to do with the driver-sensor?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The warning "Short Term Memory" - does that have something to do with the driver-sensor?
Yup, my wife sits in the car and it automatically reads "Long Term Memory" :ermm:

floor the fucker that will answer all your questions...nice car i am envious.
I have floored it several times, after shifting the transnationmission into Sport mode and the suspension into Dynamic mode, it pushes you back into your seat and takes off like a 1970's pony car :smile:

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter

My Jetta Tdi wagon drops down to 34-35 at 75. Maybe i should be driving 80.:whistling:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Another 200 miles driven in the past 2 days, up into the Chicago suburbs. Fuel economy for the 2 days was a shade over 40mpg despite all the stop lights and stop signs. Average fuel economy since buying the car actually increased from 36.8 to 37.3 with roughly 850 miles now on the ticker.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Drove to Chinatown in Chicago for dinner last night. 45.3 miles per gallon and 44. 7 miles each way, from the parking spot under the "EL" train in the main Chinatown parking lot to my driveway.

BUT not into my garage.

Parked the new car outside.

I hit a skunk a few miles from home.

Damn car stank so bad you couldnt stand within 30 feet of it. Front end and entire drivers side was sprayed, oh, and both left tires ran over the skunk so it is now very dead. But running it over, with both left side tires must have forced out every ounce of stink that skunk, all over the car.

Left it outside to, hopefully, air out.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Automatic car wash with an underbody spray!:whistling:

Tomorrow for sure.

Drove to the shooting range for a group shoot, it's about 60 miles each way, figured that would air the car out. I was wrong. Still stinks. Not on the inside, but you don't want to stand next to it. Pulled it into the garage when I got home to unload the guns. Wife made me pull it back out and leave it outside. She is smarter than I.

So I'll be pulling through the good times car wash tomorrow morning.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Drove to Winston-Salem NC to visit Melen at college. Snapped this photo at the half way point, 354 miles from home and 354 miles to NC. Roughly 775 mile range with cruise control set at 80mph, averaged nearly 43mpg and made it on less than 1 tank of fuel. Really loving the big TDI engine, huge amounts of power and torque, yet still providing exceptional economy

Drive was nice except the idiot drivers who drive slow in the left lane! WTF is wrong with them? There is actually a sign in Virginia that reads: vehicles traveling at 65mph or slower must use right lane! Funny but most of the cars hogging the left lane and failing to yield to faster traffic were 1) from Illinois, or 2) had an Obama/Biden bumper sticker, or 3) had a "Coexist" bumper sticker, or 4) was a Prius driver

West Virginias mountains dropped the fuel economy down to 42.1 for the entire trip.

Oh, and I really was not speeding the whole way :whistling:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 121

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
The way I figure it, you're not speeding until the needle gets past 3 o'clock.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Good thing you are saving on fuel. I see a ticket in your future.....:yum::yum:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That is one of the nicest looking dash clusters I've seen. Congrats on the GREAT mileage. I'm surprised. I had no idea they got that kind of mileage.