• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

2004 Crossfire

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey Franc or TR, what's it worth?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 399

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
In pristine condition,,,that is top dollar for the car.

You can find them for under ten grand just about anyday of the week

The Chrysler crossfire is actually a Mercedes 320SL from 2002. Nothing, and I mean nothing, on the car is Chrysler.

The chrysler Crossfire was a visioon of Eric Stoddard excecuted by Diamler's Her' Dieters as a sport model ala the Plymouth Prowler. A red Headed step child orphaned by the divorce of Diamler and Chrysler just at it's birth, the car is hard to get serviced. Benz dealers won't touch it, and most Chrysler dealerships shouldn't be allowed to.

That said, you can buy one of these puppies for 2/3 the price of a 320SL And they are well worth the aggravations of getting them serviced. I own two of them. A NA six speed roadster and an AMG powered supercharged Coupe.

That said, a very low milage 2004 is worth, at best $13,000.

As for the Western North Carolina region in which you live,,,,this is the best valued grocery getter you could buy.

Our Crossfire car club invades that region near Lake Fontanna twice a year to terrorize the locals and test our skills on the infamous HWY 129 "Dragon"

Robbinsville HWY 32 down to Franklin is a hoot.

To answer your question,,,,,,$11,000 is tops for that car.

Here's one for $9,000 and it is better. 'cause it is a six sped stick. The way it should be.
http://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...chrysler-crossfire-coupe-6spd-11-999-obo.html
Here's another good deal

http://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...chrysler-crossfire-coupe-6spd-11-999-obo.html

Last edited:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
So one of these, an 04 showed up here locally. It has 30K miles and they are asking $12K and it needs tires. I am considering trading for it for a daughter who is in "Love" with the car. I think it has potential down the road for perhaps gaining in value, if there is a fallowing for them....I see they have thier own forum, is it very active?

Any idea of the total production numbers for the years they were made?

Regards, Kirk

Kane

So one of these, an 04 showed up here locally. It has 30K miles and they are asking $12K and it needs tires. I am considering trading for it for a daughter who is in "Love" with the car. I think it has potential down the road for perhaps gaining in value, if there is a fallowing for them....I see they have thier own forum, is it very active?

Regards, Kirk
Yes, the Crossfire is on it's way up in value. Note that the thing is basically the Mercedes-Benz SLK right down to the radio knobs, dressed up in Chrysler sheet metal made by Karmann. Great little car. Produced 2004-2008 in a coupe and convertible. Comes in a 215HP model and the rarer pocket-rocket 350HP supercharged SRT.

And yes, the Crossfire Forum site is very active (well, it used to be when they talked politics) and is an excellent wealth of technical/repair/performance data.

Go for it. Your daughter will luv ya (at least until you get your hands on it). It looks to be priced OK to start a negotiation, depending upon condition and assuming none of that frikkin' IOWA rust.

PS: beware, a set of decent tires will run you at least $1,200.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter

Regards, Kirk

The Chrysler Crossfire was produced from 2004 until 2008. There are roughly 70,000 units produced. They are mbased ona 2002 320 SL Mercedes frame and have a 3.2 c engine, normaly aspirated.

The 2004 model is only inthe coupe. There are very few options that year.

Subsequent years had base models with cloth seats, Limited models with heated leather seats, and a convertableoption.

2005 was the only year the supercharged SRT6 was available.

The Tranny is either a 5 speed autostick of superior performance and grit. Or a 6 spd manual. The car has no spare tire because the front wheels are 18 inch and the back are 19 inch. Tires for the front are common and reasonable. Back tires are rare and therefore expensive.

A set of Michelins can run you $900.00 A set of Generals about $700.00

Kahooks will be about $600.00.

The oil is changed for about $ 90.00 (with filters) but you only have to change it at 7500 miles.

The NA engine is a high tourque V6 with 230 foot lbs and 215 HP. The speedometer says 160 MPH and the car will do it. However,it is likely the safest car of it's size on the road. I cannot tell you the total number of complete wrecks of which I am aware, that the occupants walked away unscathed.

The car is great for you daughter in that it has so many safety features and for dad,,,, I cannot see how anyone could possible have serious physical contact in it. There is absolutely no room. Itis not a "party" car.

The car listed new for $35K to $40K It is worth every bit of $20K intrinsicaly. But market value of a 2004 with 50K on the clock is about $12,000.

I know of two excellent condition models, 2004 with mid range miliage for $9K

The car is an orphan. It wasborn at the moment that Chrysler and Diamler split up. Mercedes dealers won't touch it and most Chrysler dealers shouldn't be allowed to. However, any "import" mechanic that knows Benz cars canwork on it.
The car is 100% Mercedes Benz. Any saleman or mechanic who says different, tell him he is full of crap.

Yes, there is a car club that is very much alive and supports this red headed step child. http://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/index.php

Go there and peruse PRIVATE CARS FOR SALE http://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/private-cars-sale/

You can join easily. The secret code is the car was built by Chrysler (even though that ain't true) It was actually hand built by Kharman.

There are several gear heads onthere who will gladly help you with themany mechanical and electronisc question that might arise. The cars are very reliable but do have occassional quirks. The Crossfire Forum community has been a life saver for me.

Expected MPG highway vrs city; Some guys get 20 MPG city 24 highway. I get 30MPG highway and 18 city. 'Cause I drive like an idiot.

The car is an incredible pleasure to drive. Highweay, interstate or curvy mountains. You will love it. Your kid will really love it.

Asfor collectable. The Chrysler Crossfire is rated by eEdmonds as a collectable. Now is the time to buy one. Nada Bluebook say it has reached it's lowest price pointand will begin to climb.

SRT's especially the ragtops, are already begining to rise.

Keep in mind it is a Mercedes. Would you buy a 100K mile Mercedes and be worried about dependability? I doubt it. These are a steal right now.

I have owned four altogether. Everyone was a pleasure. I now only have two. One 6 Spd convertable and one SRT6 Coupe. If I wasn't broke I would buy three or four more and put them away.

http://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/private-cars-sale/59964-2004-chrysler-crossfire.html

http://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/private-cars-sale/59992-2004-chrysler-crossfire-sale.html

Last edited:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for the information franc, I may have some questions in the future however...

Crossfire_zpsa60943f1.jpg

The wife is taking her turn at the wheel while my daughter tries not to smile for a camera..you know she is not made up or anything!! Camera shy, she is...

I hope these cars are as good as the owners think, and I am betting they are right. My knees how ever are just a tad short of the dashboards when the seat is all the way back. My head is not on the roof, but again barely...

Best regards, Kirk

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for the information franc, I may have some questions in the future however...

Crossfire_zpsa60943f1.jpg

The wife is taking her turn at the wheel while my daughter tries not to smile for a camera..you know she is not made up or anything!! Camera shy, she is...

I hope these cars are as good as the owners think, and I am betting they are right. My knees how ever are just a tad short of the dashboards when the seat is all the way back. My head is not on the roof, but again barely...

Best regards, Kirk

You can remove the knee bolster if you wish. It does not come n all modelyears.

However, it will save your legs in a head on crash so I do not recomend it.

Further, when performing tight high sdpeed turns thru the 129 Dragon or on 32 just west of Franklin, the knee bolster is a handy brace.

the car was built to be driven. Enjoy, or trade it for a Prius.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
So, you bought it?

For better or for worse, as they say. Thanks for your input on the Benze portion of the car, btw.

I have some learning to do. It looks pretty roomy under the hood. Maintainance shouldn't be all that hard. The local Chrysler dealership sold several of them back in the day, and have the basics in stock. I also have a guy who knows a guy who would work in it as he loves them. He is a retired Chrysler mechanic.

Regards, Kirk

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I guess we like our Chrysler porducts. We've had good luck with them in the past. With my 300C Hemi AWD, I'd have to say we think they are at the top of the heap in styling. The styling department just seems to get it right, except for the Gen II Durango. I just never warmed up to them. The Challenger I think is the best looking of the new retro cars...

Regards, Kirk

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
For better or for worse, as they say. Thanks for your input on the Benze portion of the car, btw.

I have some learning to do. It looks pretty roomy under the hood. Maintainance shouldn't be all that hard. The local Chrysler dealership sold several of them back in the day, and have the basics in stock. I also have a guy who knows a guy who would work in it as he loves them. He is a retired Chrysler mechanic.

Regards, Kirk

Some Chrysler dealers sent mechanics off to get "Crossfire" training. If you have found one of those,you can spend your money there with some confidence.

If you have questions and wish to talk,,,,PM sent.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I would guess this thing is built on an SLK platform?
170 chassis? Did Chrysler adapt the benz numbering system? If so, many of the part numbers start with A170-xxxxxxxxx.
Good oem parts cheap - go to buymbparts.biz. Rusty will take care of you. And if parts not in stock or dealer only, you'll get a discount and shipped to your door.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I would guess this thing is built on an SLK platform?
170 chassis? Did Chrysler adapt the benz numbering system? If so, many of the part numbers start with A170-xxxxxxxxx.
Good oem parts cheap - go to buymbparts.biz. Rusty will take care of you. And if parts not in stock or dealer only, you'll get a discount and shipped to your door.

I think your right on with the SLK 170 chassis. Since the car was totally built in Germany, and only the body parts are Kharman, the Benz numbering system should be intact, I would think. Maybe I need to consider a parts book for the car, or a PDF of one, so I would have the part numbers.

Correction, Franc says it's a 320SL of 2002 vintage in an earlier post. So that's what I am going with...

Regards, Kirk

Last edited:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I think your right on with the SLK 170 chassis. Since the car was totally built in Germany, and only the body parts are Kharman, the Benz numbering system should be intact, I would think. Maybe I need to consider a parts book for the car, or a PDF of one, so I would have the part numbers.

Correction, Franc says it's a 320SL of 2002 vintage in an earlier post. So that's what I am going with...

Regards, Kirk
The car is built on the 320 SL frame. Though your version is a hard top coupe, it is built on the convertible frame. Making it incredibly stiff and strong. Join the Crossfire forum. We have an interchange chart for Chrysler numbers vrs Diamler parts. It will save you quite a bit.

The guy you want to look for there is One Hundred Eighty. He has how to's and TSB's on everything going on with this car.

Withthe exceptionof the body panels and the programing of the CPU and the BCM modules, the Benz parts are interchangeble MMaking this red headed step child not so hard to keep running. However, because they are Benzes, and because they are valued so low on resale, it takes very litttle damage to have the car totaled by your insurance Company.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm thinking slk. Crossfire is too small for a sl chassis. I could be wrong. Do some double checking.

If it's an sl chassis, you should have room for a v12 in there. Turbocharged v12. I think it's an slk chassis.

Anway, get a factory repair manual on cd, not an aftermarket one.
Parts, just go to buymbparts.biz. He sells all parts all cars. No need for a parts manual.
If in fact benz underpinnings, if you want to see complete parts explosions, log on to startek http://epc.startekinfo.com/epc/login.jsp and start a subscription. USA people get it free, though you have top supply a credit card. A subscription lasts a year. But it is completely free.

Some oem brands would be Bosch for electronics, Lemfoerder for suspension.
If benz brakes, then buy ONLY Akebeno Euros. The Benz brakes make lotsa dust and you'll forever be cleaning your wheel.s The Akebono is an accepted replacement and stop just as well as OEM.
For rotors, buy ATE black premium.
I've changed enough brakes on these cars; this is the way to go.
Never cut a benz rotor. Two pad changes to a rotor change.
Use only Bilstein shocks. Yes, they are twice as much. If you want to preserve the factory ride, Bilstein if it is Benz underpinnings.

I would also get the shop service schedule for an SLK and follow it. I bet it's a bit more complete than the Chrysler version.

Yes, change the antifreeze and brake fluid every two years, and use the expensive antifreeze they want you to use.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm thinking slk. Crossfire is too small for a sl chassis. I could be wrong. Do some double checking.

If it's an sl chassis, you should have room for a v12 in there. Turbocharged v12. I think it's an slk chassis.

Anway, get a factory repair manual on cd, not an aftermarket one.
Parts, just go to buymbparts.biz. He sells all parts all cars. No need for a parts manual.
If in fact benz underpinnings, if you want to see complete parts explosions, log on to startek http://epc.startekinfo.com/epc/login.jsp and start a subscription. USA people get it free, though you have top supply a credit card. A subscription lasts a year. But it is completely free.

Some oem brands would be Bosch for electronics, Lemfoerder for suspension.
If benz brakes, then buy ONLY Akebeno Euros. The Benz brakes make lotsa dust and you'll forever be cleaning your wheel.s The Akebono is an accepted replacement and stop just as well as OEM.
For rotors, buy ATE black premium.
I've changed enough brakes on these cars; this is the way to go.
Never cut a benz rotor. Two pad changes to a rotor change.
Use only Bilstein shocks. Yes, they are twice as much. If you want to preserve the factory ride, Bilstein if it is Benz underpinnings.

I would also get the shop service schedule for an SLK and follow it. I bet it's a bit more complete than the Chrysler version.

Yes, change the antifreeze and brake fluid every two years, and use the expensive antifreeze they want you to use.

You are right. Sorta, the SL 190 was a Kompressor. The NA is not a Kompressor. Typo of an old man. I know the difference in the SL and SLK but Sport Light is the shorthand reference to this car line. 320 SLK.
You cannot get a V12 in there but a V8 fits nicely.Someone put a V/8 Hemi in one but only withmajor modifications. And no one will buy it.

The maintenace cycles are exactly the same as for a Benz. Making some Chrysler customers leery of such a "high maintanance vehicle"

Another fact is that the 170 frame was altered for the Crossfire. I know this because Eric Stoddard, the designer of the Crossfire, said so when I spoke with him a few years back. (You should see his renderings for version II. Done while sitting in a board meeting at Hyundai.)

I was just about to pop for a 2002 SLK back in 2003. That's when I saw the Crossfire and fell in love. By the time it came out in the convertible version my fortunes had changed so it wasn't until late 2007 that I could' again, afford one. I looked all over the country for the salmon grey interior in a ragtop with a stick. Because that is what I wanted with the SLK 320.

It took me six months to find one. Listed at $40K I bought it brand new for $21K. By late 2007 they were giving these things away.

The Chrysler Crossfire is the only car to have the dubious honor of being listed on Overstock dot Com. They are destined to be colllectables. The SRT6 version is already considered by many states to be licensed as a "collectable" though it is only 8 years old.

Many were bought on speculation but the $55K list price of an SRT6 will never be reached with today's dollars. Even virginal ones are selling in the low $20's. However. some people blieve the SRT6 version will attain something along the order of the SL 300 gull wing. Only 3,000 were made and they are incredibly fast. I own one. The other one I had in storarge (for Barrett Jackson) went on the block so my kids could have a house.

Last edited:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Very interesting and informative guys,

I just know there are cars in the world that can be driven in a sence for free...If they hold their value. In rare cases they can actually gain in value as well. My 72 T/A is such a car, for instance. I want the daughter to look at this car as having that kind of potential, if she is a dilligent and carefull owner, and takes car of it. I will be in charge of maintanance, but she will be required to learn how to check lubs and water levels, and tire preasure. Remarkably I hadn't noticed what a little "gear Head" she seams to be. She answereed all my questions about the car's specifications that I knew to ask her with authority, and confidence, and correctness....I hope we can become a bit closer as father and daughter with this car. I could use some help in this area, with a 15 year old going on 21, or so it would seem...:neutral:

I hope we can take it to some car shows this summer, and this will keep her and it sharp! Since I have been a long time car guy, perhaps it's time to pass it on, to her. She is by the way a pretty fair dirver. She's driven a variety of things here on the farm. Still working on the 5 speed manuals though. She has the idea, just not the finess to get it every time, from a stand still... I want her to learn, as I think stick shift drivers are much more involved with driving than texting auto car drivers are..:glare:

She wants a different sterio already so she can hook up her smart phone :glare::glare::pat:

Regards, Kirk

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Kirk,

The next time you visit St Louis borrow the Crossie. I'll have the Gateway group set up a lunch meet for you.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Congrats Kirk, nice wheels. She'll pick up the stick shift in no time.

I insisted my daughters learn to drive first with a manual. I had a little 91 civic and both learned on it. Later when daughter number two was buying her 2nd car, but her first automatic, she was a bit nervous, she was not sure she could drive an automatic. I had to smile and reassured her she would get used to it. :yum: Kids.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc,

The 5 speed is in a Ford pickup truck. I don't think I would want to teach her manual shifting in a Crossfire! The car is an automatic version. She will be 16 in a couple of months. This is sweet 16 a little early...

I think like you do. They all need to be able to drive a stick IMHO. We'd have better drivers if we did.

Regards, Kirk

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc,

The 5 speed is in a Ford pickup truck. I don't think I would want to teach her manual shifting in a Crossfire! The car is an automatic version. She will be 16 in a couple of months. This is sweet 16 a little early...

I think like you do. They all need to be able to drive a stick IMHO. We'd have better drivers if we did.

Regards, Kirk

The stick in the Crossie is a bit notchy. And the clutch is touchy also. The throttle response is not the best either.It has aninherent lag asitis wireless andmust be processed thru the EMS.
If it were a 6 spd I would recommend a Sprint booster and a throttle reset.

Both are recommended for the automatic as well.

The Sprint booster is about $300.00 last I heard. An easy install.

The Throttle reset is free.

Turn the ignition to on but do not start the car.
Depress the accelerator all the way to the floor and hold for 5 seconds.
Release the pedal and turn the ignition to Off. Leave the key in for 2 minutes or more.

This clears the System of accumulated errrors and resets the throttle to factory settings. The car learns how you drive and responds intuitively to that. So multiple drivers will "confuse" the programing". You should do the throttle reset every month or so for best performance.

Kane

If it were a 6 spd I would recommend a Sprint booster and a throttle reset.

Both are recommended for the automatic as well.

The Sprint booster is about $300.00 last I heard. An easy install.

The Throttle reset is free.

Turn the ignition to on but do not start the car.
Depress the accelerator all the way to the floor and hold for 5 seconds.
Release the pedal and turn the ignition to Off. Leave the key in for 2 minutes or more.

This clears the System of accumulated errrors and resets the throttle to factory settings. The car learns how you drive and responds intuitively to that. So multiple drivers will "confuse" the programing". You should do the throttle reset every month or so for best performance.
Franc, I was going to mention the Sprint Booster, but for little Sweet 16, maybe not. Even the throttle reset should be held in abeyance until she proves herself.

If it was my daughter, just sayin'. :ermm: In fact I'd probably put the tranny in winter* mode for a while. :shifty:

* - Oh, I forgot ... it IS winter in Iowa :tongue::tongue:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Franc, I was going to mention the Sprint Booster, but for little Sweet 16, maybe not. Even the throttle reset should be held in abeyance until she proves herself.

If it was my daughter, just sayin'. :ermm: In fact I'd probably put the tranny in winter* mode for a while. :shifty:

* - Oh, I forgot ... it IS winter in Iowa :tongue::tongue:

I wish there was a thottle cable to put a "limiter" on. Usually easy back in the old days. Now every thing is fly by wire...

Regards, Kirk

Kane

I wish there was a thottle cable to put a "limiter" on. Usually easy back in the old days. Now every thing is fly by wire...

Regards, Kirk
I dunno'. What would happen if you pulled a couple plug wires (besides running like shit)?

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Too bad it isn't like my Mack trucks, where the computor lets the owner limit the engine rev's in the top two gears. That would be handy here....

Regards, Kirk

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
paccar just limits top speed my drivers are limited to 45 around here as we have no posted speeds above that. they piss and moan when going out of town but that is where you usualy need to slow down with a load of hazmat we arn't trying out for ice road truckers. i bet if you could get a speed limiter that your insurance company would give you a brak on insurance.