• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Hauling a Vette

jwstewar

He offered the one girl a ride. He got a picture with the 3 cute ones. I'll post pics tomorrow. Right now I'm going to go to bed.

jwstewar

Finally got the pics off my phone.

The first pics is the car on the trailer behind the truck. We are at Hooters then, but the restaurant is behind me.

The rest of the pics are from various angles under the car so that you can see how the chains are hooked to the car. The car rode very well without issue. We had one little issue when we went to unload it. The chain on the right front had gotten wedged in the spring on the control arm. We had to jack it up to remove the pressure and then take a pry bar and pop it out. No big deal, no damage done. Sure did get the F-I-L worked up though. I told you you were tightening it too tight. I told him, no I wasn't. You gotta remember, this is the same guy that bought a new riding lawn mower and put it in his trailer and hauled it home by 1 yes 1 piece of old small rope tied around the stearing wheel and no tailgate or anything on the trailer. I told him to take a look at the pros and notice how those cars are pulled down, they do it for a reason and it isn't because they like the sound the chain makes when they flip it.

The car looks good from far, but far from good:sad: He mentioned some road chips, unfortunately, these are more than road chips and there are enough of them on different panels that he will probably end up having to have the whole car painted.

The good: The interior looks very, very nice. Haven't driven it on the road yet. He didn't test drive it. Not sure why. I would've. Maybe he figured he was already committed to it by that point with the money already spent, why bother. Started very easy when we got it home. It was 22 degrees last night and it turned over 4 or 5 times and fired right up and sat there and idled really nice. I was afraid it wouldn't do that when he said, he wasn't sure how it would do since it had never been in the cold. I was thinking, uh oh, no choke. Looks like most (all?) front end parts have been replace fairly recently. No obvious signs of frame damage. Underneath and the fender wells are incredibly smooth and clean.

The bad: The previosly mentioned paint chips. I saw the one on the corner on the pics, but you couldn't see the front point is a bit messed up and there are several odds and ends places. Probably a complete repaint. The driver's door hinge is worn a good bit and allows the door to drop down. I said it may be able to be solved by replacing the pin and bushing, hopefully it isn't the hinge itself, those look to be welded in place. The right headlight didn't come up but about an inch or so. The right rear taillights aren't working right. The inside one isn't working at all, but the left has a taillight, but no brake light (and the taillight goes out). Could be from getting bounced around on the trailer, but could be a minor/major fix as well. A couple minor antifreeze leaks. Look like they are coming from hoses, but couldn't tell last night. It was dark and did I mention it was cold at that point and we were getting really tired?:yum: Now the really bad, the battery was dead when we got home. He mentioned if you didn't disconnect the battery, like all Vettes, it would drain them. I didn't by that part, but it does drain it. I'm guess either the alarm or the strereo is hooked up incorrectly. I'm guessing stereo. It has a couple of amps and 2 12" subs - which I haven't found yet. Haven't looked at it much really. So we had to put the battery charger on it to get it off the trailer.

Overall, he is happy. Gotta remember it is a 36 year old car. It isn't going to perfect. It will give him something to tinker with that is fun besides sitting around worrying about his hand.

Attachments

• IMAG0172.jpg
    IMAG0172.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 69
  • IMAG0176.jpg
    IMAG0176.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 68
  • IMAG0177.jpg
    IMAG0177.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 71
  • IMAG0173.jpg
    IMAG0173.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 67
  • IMAG0174b.jpg
    IMAG0174b.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 70
  • IMAG0175b.jpg
    IMAG0175b.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 67

loboloco

Good tie down using chains. this is about the only time I ever used ratchet binders. Being a little old fashioned, I preferred dogs for the other loads. Nice looking Vette by the way.

jwstewar

Are you guys saying I went a bit overboard?:unsure::biggrin:

BTW, don't forget I had wheel chocks on each side of both rear tires with a rachet strap around those to hold them in place.

jwstewar

He got a little upset with me because I was taking too long. I walked around it and looked at it for awhile before deciding how I wanted to do it, but then he was saying, I don't want anything bent. I then got a bit, just a bit and said, I know, I don't either, that is why I'm taking my time and doing it right. I don't want to lose the thing going down the highway. He then said, just put the those straps on it, I said, I would if I could, but there isn't anything to secure it to. Give me a few. He finally went away and let me do my thing. That is why I wanted to go, I knew he wouldn't and Monica didn't have the know how to secure it the way it needed to.

I made Monica watch an episode of Shipping Wars last week. I showed her the episode where Roy was hauling the Thunderbird and made a quick stop and the car move sideways on him. I showed her why and what he did wrong. His straps were just going straight forward and backward. Nothing to stop the car from going sideways. I do watch, read, and learn. I will give TBN credit for that, I've learned a lot over there on that.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
A good road trip indeed. :thumb: Good pics. Cept for the excessive shifting, it sounded like the truck did a fine job of towing. (I agree with you on the 5.3's. I think they tow better than the 5.7 / 350's they replaced.)

Like you said, you have to expect those kind of little things on a 36 year old car. If perfect you'd have to pay a whole lot more to get your hands on one.

the old trucker

Nope, no such thing as too much securement.
What he said. Never too much...just overkill....

..Qoute..He'd have a fit with a piece of 8' spiral-weld wouldn't he?...Quote

Would that pipe be the same as what we call corrugated Galvanized pipe used for ditches ?? I've haul many a piece with 18, 36, & 48" pushed inside...

jwstewar

A good road trip indeed. :thumb: Good pics. Cept for the excessive shifting, it sounded like the truck did a fine job of towing. (I agree with you on the 5.3's. I think they tow better than the 5.7 / 350's they replaced.)

Like you said, you have to expect those kind of little things on a 36 year old car. If perfect you'd have to pay a whole lot more to get your hands on one.

Woops, wasn't even thinking of a Chevy 350 when I posted that Doc:blush:, but I agree. I had one of those as well, but in this case I was talking the 5.7 Hemi. I wasn't impressed with this Hemi. Then again, he has tinkered with it....so maybe everything isn't working well together. I know it has a K&N intake, Gibson Headers, Flowmaster mufflers & exhaust straight out the back. Oh, and that stupid Air-Raid Throttle bottle spacer that whistles everytime you are on the gas. I'm sure he has also used some type of programmer on it, he usually does to his vehicles.

When we got in my truck last night to go home, I told Monica to shhhh and listen. She was like what? I said, listen how quiet it is and we are using about half the fuel with much more comfortable seats. Love my Silverado even more after that trip.:w00t2:

jwstewar

Would that pipe be the same as what we call corrugated Galvanized pipe used for ditches ?? I've haul many a piece with 18, 36, & 48" pushed inside...

Just curious, how would you have secured it?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Woops, wasn't even thinking of a Chevy 350 when I posted that Doc:blush:, but I agree. I had one of those as well, but in this case I was talking the 5.7 Hemi. I wasn't impressed with this Hemi. Then again, he has tinkered with it....so maybe everything isn't working well together. I know it has a K&N intake, Gibson Headers, Flowmaster mufflers & exhaust straight out the back. Oh, and that stupid Air-Raid Throttle bottle spacer that whistles everytime you are on the gas. I'm sure he has also used some type of programmer on it, he usually does to his vehicles.

When we got in my truck last night to go home, I told Monica to shhhh and listen. She was like what? I said, listen how quiet it is and we are using about half the fuel with much more comfortable seats. Love my Silverado even more after that trip.:w00t2:
Sorry for the confusion ... I knew you were talking about / comparing to the Hemi in your FIL's truck ... I was comparing to my old Chevy trucks which all had 350's. I hesitated going to the 5.3 but after talking with a boating buddy who had pulled a 10k houseboat up the ramp with his 5.3 I thought this new 5.3 just might do alright.....and it does. :D :thumb:

the old trucker

Just curious, how would you have secured it?

Please excuse me as I am not the best with computers. I hope this will give you an idea of how I secured cars & pickups. On a 48 to 53' flatbed trailer, the straps are on winches that move on a slider just under the rub rail.
I pull out the strap & feed up inside the rub rail, up close to the top of the wheel & behind it, coming out & back down inside the rub rail again, then hook it to tlr. Winch it snug. Just watch how the strap fits behind the wheel as not to pinch a brake line...Used this method from Texas to eastern Canada without a hitch.
The rub rail helps save your straps in the event of someone sideswiping your tlr, thus keeping your load "SECURE"

securewheel.jpg

loboloco

Nope, metal pipe welded in a spiral, then coated on the outside with plastic, then concreted on the inside I know they make it just below Columbia, SC and I think somewhere in TX. It has to be carried with the ends sealed in plastic and several gallons of water placed on the inside. Fun to haul.

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
Is this what you call a cradle strap & an underbelly ratchet ?? If not could you show me please...??

category_00000433_thumb.jpg

qrb1a.jpg

What's with all the tie down picture crap, we need pics of the girls at hooters adjusting the load binders !

I heard you can go strapless if you keep the speed down ! LOL !:yum:

the old trucker

Now I know what you are talking about. It's the same thing I talked about earlier. That cradle strap shown is not made for that trailer. The hook on the left side can (swivel) somewhat but on the right side it's sowed together. For it to be effective the hook has to be hooked straight ahead & back. Been there, bought the ticket also... I'm not trying to be a pain in the A$$, just trying to help from my expense...

The Old Trucker

loboloco

trucker, mine cradled the tire and had a swivel that allowed me to either cross strap or direct side strap. Drove a 48' flat with 10' spreads mostly. But every once in a while would get a single deck car hauler.