• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Hauling a Vette

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Where in FL is the vehicle? Maybe we have a forum member or someone we know nearby that can go kick the tires for you.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
JWStwar,

Two things,

One; Don't send any more money than the deposit. Period

Two: Don't shrink wrap the car with off the roll plastic. It will not stay on the car. Besides, it won't protect it either.

I have bought 11 cars off Ebay alone. Some good, some not so good,,,,,everyone was an adventure.

But the hard luck stories to get you to pay ahead,,,,,,fogetaboutit. Hand over the cash when you have a title, bill of sale and keys which made the car prove it was worth what you paid.

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
JWStwar,

Two things,

One; Don't send any more money than the deposit. Period

Two: Don't shrink wrap the car with off the roll plastic. It will not stay on the car. Besides, it won't protect it either.

I have bought 11 cars off Ebay alone. Some good, some not so good,,,,,everyone was an adventure.

But the hard luck stories to get you to pay ahead,,,,,,fogetaboutit. Hand over the cash when you have a title, bill of sale and keys which made the car prove it was worth what you paid.

What he said X2 !!

jwstewar

It is in Port St. Lucie. OkeeDon that used to be around was from there. I think we are just going to say we will pay the remainder when we get there.

We had thought about going earlier, but I had a cousin pass away and his funeral is Thursday, so I really can't go before then. I'm also afraid to let Monica and her Dad go get this car by themselves. I'm afraid they wouldn't get it strapped down good. Her Dad has problems with his shoulders and his left hand is still pretty messed up where he cut it on the table saw back in September/October.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Timing is bad... I was just outside that area a couple months ago.

Is the buyer OK with having someone come kick the tires? I know someone about 50 miles away and could ask if he might be able to take a road trip to go look at it.

jwstewar

I haven't talked to him, even at that, I would be leery to send the money w/o at least a title in hand. I appreciate the offer Brian, we'll see if he gives Monica any static when she tells him that we aren't sending the money, then I might take you up on it.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
EMail me the PSL location.

waybomb at gmail dot com

I smell a rat.

And that picture does not look like PSL, and the tags on the other car is not Florida.

My kid lives in North Palm Beach. I am certain I could have him and a few of his buddies pay a visit tonight.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
On a car like that you want to use the webbing straps ove the wheels. If you tie to the frame, the suspension is binding down and you can (on a rough road) break parts of the suspension unless you have the frame on blocks so it is solid against the frame and can't move against the tires and springs.

Go rent a car hauler trailer from U-haul and use the tire webbing straps. That way the tires are secure and the car rides on it's suspension! Using any straps accross the body would result in broken, cracked and scuffed fiberglass body panels.

If you're hauling any type of classic, you secure it by the wheel, not the frame. If it was just some regular car, then who cares!

But getting a rental trailer that is designed to haul cars is your best bet, the dove tail trailer is great for hauling regular stuff and doable.

But.... Having said that.... I'd drive that puppy home smiling all the way! What's a few extra thousand miles! Did I mention I'm jealous?

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I would IMMEDIATELY be contacting ebay and paypal as well. NOW.

ps - got your messages too - I'm on it.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
as fogtender said blocking the frame is necessary i towed an old pontiac home for my dad we did the same thing nailed blocks to the deck behind the tires than blocked the frame lastly secured it with cargo straps at the frame so the whole load moved as ine i never felt it behind my ctd dodge towed it up the alcan from washington state i had nothing but problems with tires felt like a pit crew changing tires long the road

jwstewar

I just now saw the address for the first time. I looked it up. Doesn't look like a house on Google, and the reverse address look-up says it is a business address, so this is really starting to concern me.

But, on a positive note, I looked through his feedback, it looks like he has sold several car items through the years, including several 74-77 Vette parts.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I spoke with my kid. He's calling somebody nearby that address to drive over there and see if that car is sitting there.
Feedback means nothing if the account has been hacked.

1) Contact ebay and paypal right away and let them know you are concerned. They will contact the seller through their channels and verify the seller.

2) Make sure you let both ebay and paypal know the seller is changing terms after the sale, you still want to complete the sale, but do not want anything negative to your account or status

3) In Google earth, you can arrow over the address. This place seems to be "Ask Auto", but the picture of the car does not seem to be the same setting as the google earth picture. A "John Tower" is somehow associated with this "Ask Auto" or this address.

4) Across the street is "Precision Cycle Works". My kid is calling them right now to see if they know anything about Ask auto.

Inspector Cleusiou on the path to truth.

the old trucker

On a car like that you want to use the webbing straps ove the wheels. If you tie to the frame, the suspension is binding down and you can (on a rough road) break parts of the suspension unless you have the frame on blocks so it is solid against the frame and can't move against the tires and springs.

Go rent a car hauler trailer from U-haul and use the tire webbing straps. That way the tires are secure and the car rides on it's suspension! Using any straps accross the body would result in broken, cracked and scuffed fiberglass body panels.

If you're hauling any type of classic, you secure it by the wheel, not the frame. If it was just some regular car, then who cares!

But getting a rental trailer that is designed to haul cars is your best bet, the dove tail trailer is great for hauling regular stuff and doable.

But.... Having said that.... I'd drive that puppy home smiling all the way! What's a few extra thousand miles! Did I mention I'm jealous?

THANKS FOGGIE !!!!!!

That is what I have been trying to tell him...I'd love to see the before, during & after pics if he decides to use wrapping & chain. Hell if he wants to pay my flight I'd drive it to him just for something to do...

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I spoke with my kid. He's calling somebody nearby that address to drive over there and see if that car is sitting there.
Feedback means nothing if the account has been hacked.

1) Contact ebay and paypal right away and let them know you are concerned. They will contact the seller through their channels and verify the seller.

2) Make sure you let both ebay and paypal know the seller is changing terms after the sale, you still want to complete the sale, but do not want anything negative to your account or status

3) In Google earth, you can arrow over the address. This place seems to be "Ask Auto", but the picture of the car does not seem to be the same setting as the google earth picture. A "John Tower" is somehow associated with this "Ask Auto" or this address.

4) Across the street is "Precision Cycle Works". My kid is calling them right now to see if they know anything about Ask auto.

Inspector Cleusiou on the path to truth.

Thanks again Fred for proving FF is the place to be by looking out for the members and helping when needed!

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
<<<<LEGIT>>>>>>

They repair Corvettes at Ask Auto. The guys from the bike shop said they were asked if they wanted to buy that exact car.

I'd still make sure through ebay/paypal that the account owner knows about the sale before sending money to him.

Let me know if you need any other help.

jwstewar

Thanks Fred. I greatly appreciate it. He has signed his corresponence as John. The paypal account is katetowers. So that is kind of jiving. Maybe he owns that business and wants us to meet him there so we don't go to his house. (Trying to looking on the bright side :whistling:) We have to remember, we are strangers to him too, and he has to protect himself too.

And again, I have to tell myself, technically we are the ones "breaking" the rules of the auction. It said payment within 3 days which would be tomorrow. We have been going by the assumption that most people if they had a deposit and knew when you were coming would be reasonable and not expect the money until in person or ready to be shipped.

jwstewar

<<<<LEGIT>>>>>>

They repair Corvettes at Ask Auto. The guys from the bike shop said they were asked if they wanted to buy that exact car.

I'd still make sure through ebay/paypal that the account owner knows about the sale before sending money to him.

Let me know if you need any other help.

That is making me feel better. They didn't happen to say anything about the condition of the car or anything did they? BTW, not sure if I posted it or not, but here is a link to the ebay listing: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd...49&item=220941526268&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I'd say go ahead and look up the bike shop and talk to them directly.

I've bought cars on ebay. At this point, I'd be feeling safe to send them a deposit, but not all the money.

Just make sure Towers' account was not hacked. Call Ask Auto and ask for John as well.

My kid says PSL is an hour away and he has to work on an Aventador exhaust tonight, so he can't go and check the car out.

But we can find somebody to do so if you want.

jwstewar

Thanks Fred. We've sent the deposit, but like you don't want to send the entire amount. I greatly appreciate the work you've done. I think I will float a call to the bike shop.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks & sounds very nice and a lot of detail in the ad, the 4 youtube videos also were a nice addition to the ad, IMO. :smile:

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
Looks & sounds very nice and a lot of detail in the ad, the 4 youtube videos also were a nice addition to the ad, IMO. :smile:

At 6:01 in the first video, you get a reflection of the seller (biker dude with the sleeveless T-shirt & the tats) as he videos opening the door.

Make sure you give the pile of cash to him when you get there.........OK ?

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Pictures of a car can be taken anywhere and then I load them in my auction. AT the beach or at my house or on vacation.
If you look at the google cam images the Ask Auto business building has the same paint scheme as in one of the pictures in the ebay ad.

Attachments

• vette1.jpg
    vette1.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 106
  • vette2.jpg
    vette2.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 104

jwstewar

This has turned into quite the search hasn't it. Don't piss of the ForumsForums Mafia, we will come hunt you down.:clap::brows:

Thanks for the help everyone, I'm feeling pretty good about it now. I think we are planning on leaving a little earlier now. I've got a funeral Thursday, so I think we are going to leave shortly after that. That will then allow us to get to Florida on Friday night and be able to be at his house/business early Saturday and be able to start back sooner.

I'm ashamed in everyone though, when I mentioned I was going to put the new tires on the trailer, no one mentioned new valve stems.:w00t2::whistling: Glad I checked them though, they were cracked as bad as the tires, fortunately my buddy had some new ones - 4 of them left to be precise.:clap: They are on the trailer and I gave each of the 4 wheels a quick shot of grease and turn each of the drums by hand and you can see and hear just a bit of resistance, so I think all 4 brakes are adjusted good. So I think the trailer is about as good as shape as it can be.

He also had 3 T-hooks that he let me borrow. Don't know if we will use them or the straps and chains or what yet. But like I told him, I would rather take everything and not need it vs. not take it and need it.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Got a spare tire or 2? Jack that can lift the side of a loaded trailer? Chocks?

jwstewar

Got a spare tire or 2? Jack that can lift the side of a loaded trailer? Chocks?

Right now no spares, but I think I'm going to stop at TSC before we head out and pick up a couple. I'll have jacks, but I'm also taking my wooden ramps that will lift the trailer high enough to get the other tire off (provided both don't blow). I'll also have chocks with me. I also plan on screwing boards to the deck of the trailer to keep the car from wanting to vibrate sideways. I haven't approached the f-i-l yet about building a shield for the front of the trailer, but I'm taking my cordless circular saw so that we can do it once it sees the conditions of the roads and what the truck throws up.

I think we've moved up our leave time to today.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds like you are well prepared and ready for a big road trip. Should be fun. I hope all goes well. How about taking some pics to share with us when you get back?

Enjoy, and congrats to your FIL.

jwstewar

Just left the inlaw's house. Gonna be a long ride. After market exhaust and has a loud drone. Some type of vornado or something under the hood that whistles everytime the gas is pressed. I can say I'm not impressed with the Hemi. It is shifting more with the empty trailer than my 5.3 Chevy.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just left the inlaw's house. Gonna be a long ride. After market exhaust and has a loud drone. Some type of vornado or something under the hood that whistles everytime the gas is pressed. I can say I'm not impressed with the Hemi. It is shifting more with the empty trailer than my 5.3 Chevy.

Does that truck have tow load on the end of the column shifter??? If it does better start using it!