• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Help timing the ford 104 V4

airdale

I finally got all the infor I needed to time the V4....the right front piston is #1...6 deg BTDC and I can see the marks so I turned the distributer and the pully mark rotated toward the marks on the block...the engine started running smooth and faster RPM, but I don't know where to stop. I assume that the pointer is TDC and the pully marks should be set at 6 block marks to its right but there aren't 6 marks so are the marks 2 deg each? seemed that the farther the pully mark went past the TDC mark the faster the enging ran. HELP?

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I finally got all the infor I needed to time the V4....the right front piston is #1...6 deg BTDC and I can see the marks so I turned the distributer and the pully mark rotated toward the marks on the block...the engine started running smooth and faster RPM, but I don't know where to stop. I assume that the pointer is TDC and the pully marks should be set at 6 block marks to its right but there aren't 6 marks so are the marks 2 deg each? seemed that the farther the pully mark went past the TDC mark the faster the enging ran. HELP?

What you are discribing is correct for an engine running and the timing advanced as it runs. Idle speeds come up.....

I cann't tell you about the marks, but as was mentioned by redsquell you can attach a vaume guage to the manifild and set the timing at idle to the highest vacume reading and lock down the distributor. It works. I have a BBC with a timing ring that has slipped on the balancer. It is the only sure way to get the job done on that engine, and it works just fine. Losts easier it sounds like than what you are twiting and truning trying to get to where you can see the marks.

Regards, Kirk

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
remember to re set the idle back down once teh adjustment is made as increaced engie speed will advance timing with centrifigual weights in the distributor and give you a false reading on base timing

slowcatdriver

You can also set it at TDC. Then remove the #1 sparkplug and place a dial indicator or stiff wire into the hole and genty rock the crankshaft with a breaker bar and socket on the damper bolt at the front of the crankshaft. You can feel when it's at TDC. See if its close to your mark on the pulley. If not find TDC and mark it with white fingernail polish. Then time it with your timing light. These rubber mounted dampers are notorious for slipping.