• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Gluten free diet

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
I have started a Gluten free diet this week due to the simple fact my Doctor told me to due to Coeliac disease which is not a major issue just need to kick the Gluten,i had the classic symptoms for some years so really i should have done this much sooner.

My only problem is lunch time as everything i like for lunch goes between 2 slices of bread and the tasteless heavy dry bread on the supermarket shelves is not for me,i feel screwed over big time.

Dinner times are fine as i just grab a slab of fresh meat/fish and add fresh veggies or salad.

This is my first week so still trial and error stages.

Any ideas??

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My sister is an anti-gluten Nazi, she won't even use a knife that has been used to butter a piece of bread. And if a knife touched bread, it is not allowed to touch the stick of butter!

If you want some ideas I could ask her for you.

I know that she gets a lot of gluten free stuff from Sainsbury because I went there with my brother in law to do some grocery shopping for dinner one evening. They have noodles that actually taste like noodles (I tried them) but are gluten free. They also had a decent selection of cookie/snack type items.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
At lunch, just slap the meat and cheese between a couple romaine lettuce leaves.

I don't have to be gluten free but I am generally very low carb and anti-wheat.

Think of it as an oppurtunity to skip a seriously GMO item.

Last edited:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm no nazi but I strive to be grain and dairy free these days. Occasionally, I'll eat a Wasa Rye cracker with some butter and I do use heavy whipping cream. I would call myself a non-evangelical paleo dieter. I eat more fat (coconut oil and butter). If I'm out with my kids and we need to eat then I'll eat a hamburger and not worry about it - actually I'll enjoy it. For my day to day meals, I cook pre-cook two packs of bacon, some grilled chicken breasts, some better quality bratwurst sausages, and I cut up a bunch of vegetables for steaming. I also make meat loaf with beef, beef liver, and occasionally beef heart, coconut flour and psyillium husk and freeze big slices of that. I will alternate sausage and sauerkraut, steamed veggies with butter, meatloaf, chicken breasts and bacon wrapped in lettuce and kale with lots of mayo and mustard. If I eat out it's usually going to be some form of cobb salad without croutons. I also eat coconut milk, blueberries, and some heavy cream for breakfast. This has been a good diet for me. I've lost a lot of weight over the last 3 years. You can't out run a bad diet. Check out this site: www.dietdoctor.com

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
[FONT=&quot]Gluten Free Bread[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Pre-heat oven at 350F.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Dry ingredients:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2C Rice flour[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2-1/2t Gluten Free Baking powder [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1t Sea salt or table salt [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2T Mixed Italian herbs [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2T Dried vegetable flakes [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Wet ingredients:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3T Honey[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 Large egg well beaten[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1C Milk (I use 2% as that's we drink)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/4C Vegetable oil [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Blend the dry stuff...blend the wet stuff...mix them together...pour into a greased bread pan and bake at 350F for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.[/FONT]

Galvatron

Thanks for the ideas i am open to all things new.

I have seen benefits from this as i have dropped 4 pounds in weight without even trying this week,it gives me the motivation to play with this and lose some more,more so i have noticed i don't feel so tired as the day goes on and i do not feel bloated after eating so i must be on the right path.

Pistachio nuts have become my new friend over cheesecake.

I will miss my Yorkshire pudding today with my Sunday roast beef dinner,my gravy with no dunk will never be the same again.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
If you do everything else right then the occasional Yorkshire pudding isn't going to hurt - as long as it's light and fluffy and smothered in butter. ;)

The main thing is to avoid all the hidden carbs and gluten. Even Jev's bread recipe above is loaded with refined carbohydrates.

Refined carbs = death.

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
simple tip for losing weight. If it tastes good leave it a lone, if it tastes like crap you are welcome to eat it. :glare:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
At lunch, just slap the meat and cheese between a couple romaine lettuce leaves.

I don't have to be gluten free but I am generally very low carb and anti-wheat.

Think of it as an oppurtunity to skip a seriously GMO item.

Just thought I would say there are no commercially available wheat varieties that are genetically altered. Monsanto tried, but failed to crack this market. Maybe the only one too...:ermm:

Too much wheat is consumed by humans, and the growers didn't want to risk consumer back lash.. USDA is behind them as well...:wink:

Regards, Kirk

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
You're right, Kirk, it isn't GMO but it has been changed over the years by humans rather than nature. Many of the changes have to do with making it easier to grow and harvest.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
It's cheaper to feed the masses with sugar and refined grains than for them to eat meat and veggies. The whole food pyramid and all the government dietary recommendations have more to do with political policy than truly healthy lifestyles. You can buy a lot more cereal, chips, and pizza for $20 than you can raw meat and green veggies.

Galvatron

Lunch time is becoming easier,i am starting to enjoy being a recovering breadaolic.

Today is a light prawn salad topped with a little crispy bacon....no Gluten yet 100% tasty.

Attachments

• DSC_0196.JPG
    DSC_0196.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 111

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
What else is in the prawn (shrimp) salad? Looks like some 'elbow macaroni' noodles in there? Have you tried the gluten free noodles from Sainsbury?

Just finshed up breakfast here, scrambled eggs with salmon. I bought the salmon in Wales, its a product of the UK. Its a paste product and I didn't notice until today that it has WHEAT as one of the secondary ingredients.

Galvatron

Just lettuce,cucumber,tomato,spring onion,fresh water prawns,a little dressing and crispy bacon.

Cracked black pepper topped it after the photo was taken.

I will have a look in Sainsbury's at some point when passing,i do know my local supermarket Tesco's line of Gluten free stuff looks very bland and over priced.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My sister said the Tesco brand of glueten free noodles does not compare to the one she buys at Sainsbury.

FWIW, Glueten free stuff seems to be premium priced compared to the 'normal' food here in the US.

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
Since I started my diet, I tried a gluten free bread from Schwan's. Plain it tasted awful, but toasted with some honey and cinnamon it wasn't bad. The slices were really small so for a sandwich it really isn't great.

Galvatron

My sister said the Tesco brand of glueten free noodles does not compare to the one she buys at Sainsbury.

FWIW, Glueten free stuff seems to be premium priced compared to the 'normal' food here in the US.

A standard loaf of bread here is around £1.30,Tesco Gluten free loaf of bread is £2.25,i fail to see why,they are just preying on people that need/want a healthy driven option.

Sad world we live in.

Galvatron

Since I started my diet, I tried a gluten free bread from Schwan's. Plain it tasted awful, but toasted with some honey and cinnamon it wasn't bad. The slices were really small so for a sandwich it really isn't great.

Problem is when something healthy is bland by time you spruce it up to make it taste good it is then unhealthy again:yum::yum::yum:

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
Problem is when something healthy is bland by time you spruce it up to make it taste good it is then unhealthy again:yum::yum::yum:

Yep, I bought some veggie burgers once. The first one I had tasted like crap, so when I fix another one I had bacon, cheese, fried onions, ketchup, mustard, pickles, and I think some ham on it, it was great tasting then......:yum:

Galvatron

Yep, I bought some veggie burgers once. The first one I had tasted like crap, so when I fix another one I had bacon, cheese, fried onions, ketchup, mustard, pickles, and I think some ham on it, it was great tasting then......:yum:

I do hope you ate around the veggie burger as that would have been a waste of chewing.:wink:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
What else is in the prawn (shrimp) salad? Looks like some 'elbow macaroni' noodles in there? Have you tried the gluten free noodles from Sainsbury?

Just finshed up breakfast here, scrambled eggs with salmon. I bought the salmon in Wales, its a product of the UK. Its a paste product and I didn't notice until today that it has WHEAT as one of the secondary ingredients.

Most of that "gluten-free" stuff - isn't. It's better to just go refined grain free.

Galvatron

I have found the best way to deal with this is to have a little flex in the diet,if i really do want something nice i just go for it,but i do it just once a week,maybe that yorkshire pudding with a roast dinner or that slice of cheesecake i desire,the other day it was a couple of cold beers out in the garden,i find it motivating to have a treat to look forward to.

I lost a stone in weight when all this started and to date i have not gained or lost more but my back acting like a jerk added to more stress than needed so with that said i am happy with living life in a way i dont have to stress about food to much,i think the best way to tackle a life change is to make it as stress free as possible with a twist of rebellious behavior,being naughty makes things taste just that little bit sweeter.

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
yep- transforming a diet is a challenge i look forward to, galvi; i'll post as i configure.