• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Wife Bought a boat.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Update;

We commissioned the boat on July 3rd after a week of Connecticut red tape. I believe most every city, town, and hamlet in that state is infected with a perponderance of government buildings equal to 50% of the structures there. And, each and everyone of them is manned by good people with good intentions wound up in a system of useless documentation procedures bent on creating work time but not effective work action.
One office handles Titles but not licensing. One handles boat operator licenses but not testing, training and certifications. One office had more signs on the wall informing the public of what they would not, or could not, do there than what they could. Some are open most days, some are open three days, some are open only on Wednesday and Fridays.
The lines are long and when you get to the front, You get a ticket which allows you to sit for the rest of your wait.:sad:

But, by Thursday, we had the dock cushions on and all the boat fixtures installed. The motor started first try and we went for a maiden voyage. Ten minutes out, we encountered a small runabout with out drive problems and spent and hour towing them up stream to their harbor.
Spent the night on board and enjoyed a very pleasant evening with new friends in our new harbor.

I love dock life. Good friends, sharing food, and drink, and stories.

Friday we went downstream to Portland CT and anchored near an old RR swing bridge. With about 500 other boats we watched the best fireworks show I have ever seen and motored back to the harbor under a full harvest moon.

Romantic and pleasant. I almost forgot the frustration of getting the boat legal (well sorta) in the water. Slept like a baby in the womb as the boat gently rocked thru the night.

Weather was perfect. The boat was perfect. The moment was perfect. I haven't seen the wife that happy in years.

I'm home now in St Louis. But she is still there. Seems we all have to take a boating course (8 hours) from the Department of Environmental Protection. I've been operating power and sail since I was 14 years old. 55 years of experience and I have to take a course so I don't foul their precious waters.

Business needed me back here so Cathy stayed to take the course with my son and Granddaughter. My temporary license lasts only 60 days so I too will have to take the course.

There are only certain days they give it. But I can go to Cabela's and get a short version (about three hours) for $75.

The Wife wants to be with the Grandkids as we age but, I am having second thoughts about retirement in CT.:whistling:

Last edited:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sound wonderful franc, I am glad you had such a perfect time of it..:biggrin:

Makes me want to go boating. I haven't had mine out in several years..
:unsure:
Regards, Kirk

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Sound wonderful franc, I am glad you had such a perfect time of it..:biggrin:

Makes me want to go boating. I haven't had mine out in several years..
:unsure:
Regards, Kirk

Our Sailboat was on the hard for 10 years. I missed sailing but, it was always there. Then last year we sold it and I gotta admit it left a hole. I really missed just owning a boat. Something I cannot explain.

This Maxum is a nice cabin cruiser and my son and his kids will really enjoy it. Me, I'm already looking at 38 to 50 foot Beneteaus for a live aboard lifestyle. My heart is in sail.

ALA this beauty;
http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/45007

or this one
http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/50161

Last edited:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I like the older one, for it's size. Seems to me more in line for me, for a boat anyway in price as well...:smile:

I don't need to entertain on my "get away" for 10 though. Your milage may very..

Regards, Kirk

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I like the older one, for it's size. Seems to me more in line for me, for a boat anyway in price as well...:smile:

I don't need to entertain on my "get away" for 10 though. Your milage may very..

Regards, Kirk
I like the older one as well.

Keep in mind, if cared for, sailboats don't really age. They just get a little dinghy.

On a live aboard, the aft cabins of the larger boat would likely be altered for storage and one, even for laundry. Long voyages require food and water stores. Ten folks would be impossible. Of the two, that boat would make life better gunk holing the Caribbean.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
I had been drooling over an S&S Swan 38 for some time, with the idea of Dragonfly Lady and I living aboard and cruising the Pacific after I retired, but Life it seems had other plans for us. I miss sailing, and especially sailing on blue water. This thread brings back a lot of memories and old dreams.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I had been drooling over an S&S Swan 38 for some time, with the idea of Dragonfly Lady and I living aboard and cruising the Pacific after I retired, but Life it seems had other plans for us. I miss sailing, and especially sailing on blue water. This thread brings back a lot of memories and old dreams.

Now that is a proper boat!
Plenty of Foredeck

I like just about anything Sparkman/Stevens designs.
S2's are my favorite
A Tartan 37 would suit me fine.

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/49823

Last edited:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Not exactly a Beneteau but I just could not resist....
00j0j_AvkKltwfl0_600x450.jpg

Found it just outside of Milwaukie. We pick it up next week end.

If this looks familiar, it was in the James Bond movie "Live and let Die"

A classic boat,,,, I have wanted one for over 45 years.

Kane

Not exactly a Beneteau but I just could not resist....
00j0j_AvkKltwfl0_600x450.jpg

Found it just outside of Milwaukie. We pick it up next week end.

If this looks familiar, it was in the James Bond movie "Live and let Die"

A classic boat,,,, I have wanted one for over 45 years.

She's a beaut', Franc. Any idea of the build date? And the Merc ... age and HP?

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
She's a beaut', Franc. Any idea of the build date? And the Merc ... age and HP?

The hull is a 1968. So despite the seller's claim, it is not from the Movie prop pool. Those were all 1971 and 1972 models, mostly factory rejects.

The famous 110 foot Highway leap in the film was a specially modified 1972.

The motor is also 1968. Not original to this boat but period correct.

636 × 290 - jamesbondlifestyle.com

Last edited:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
So, the plot thickens.

The kids in Connecticut are spending a lot of time on the big Maxum cruiser. The Wife has flown there twice to enjoy the harbor life. And I got a heart throb impulse to buy an old inappropriate toy.
Last week I began the sad task of pulling the old Vampire ski boat out of the weeds and hauling it , it's 55 HP motor and the 115Hp motor I was going to rebuild to the dump. I have had that boat since 1972. Put it to pasture(?) in 1996. So it was pretty weathered and worn.

I spun the engine just to see and it wasn't seized. I'll bet a new water pump impeller and it would run. Sad, as it is a Chrysler and nobody wants them anymore.
Rubbing my hands over the deck of the Vampire, the metalflake was like sandpaper from the oxidation. And the stern transom was soft as a pair of sneakers.

I aired up the tires and hitched it to the truck. As I put a license plate on the trailer, I took one last look at the hull lines.....:mellow:

A little sanding and a coat of clear would bring the shine back to the deck, The transom is a one day fix, the Hull just needs power wash and wax,,,,:whistling:

I'm up to 600 grit now and it looks really swell. Smooth as a baby's butt. My paint guy says if I go to 800 it will look brand new when he is done.

We power washed the interior, sprayed the boat for bugs and next week I'm cutting out the bad wood in the transom. A little glass and resin wha-LA!

Carpet the interior and mount some new seats. If the old Chrysler won't fire, I'm gonna find a used 80-90 HP Kiekhauffer Merc .

So now, I own three boats. None of them are Sailboats
:bb:
What is wrong with me?

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Okay, Not so simple. Power washing the boat stirred up bugs. Some roaches and ants and ,,, OH WAIT, those are TERMITES.:w00t2:

Spent the weekend taking the stern off in pieces. Wood is permeated with termites and all of it must go. I thought from the soundings I took that only a small part of the transom was soft.

WRONG

This is turning into a BIG pain in the @ss project. But, in for a penny in for a pound as it were.

As for the wife,,, Tonite, she is sitting in the Hartford harbor drinking sweet tea and watching the grandkids play on the docks. She called to let me know the AC unit was working just fine. Everyone will soon be crawling into their berths for a good night's sleep prepping for Monday's trip down the river to the sand beach near Portland.

Me, I gotta go to work and start producing parts for the new contract.:whistling::shit7:

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Franc I'm sorry you hit so much extra work.

Just think how nice it's going to be when you finish.

Jim

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Frank
I read on another forum how an individual treated his boat for the pests once the rotten wood was replaced. He tented it and heated it to something like 150 degrees for 1/2 a day. Even the queen crawled out to die and he found her.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Frank
I read on another forum how an individual treated his boat for the pests once the rotten wood was replaced. He tented it and heated it to something like 150 degrees for 1/2 a day. Even the queen crawled out to die and he found her.

Thanks Waybomb. Been there done that. However, the wood is severely damaged. Luckily only the transom was cored with wood.

They also ate the foam between the two hulls but I can inject new foam.
(actually they didn't eat it just removed it to make a "nest")

Since I have cut the gelcoat in several places I have no plans to re-use it as suggested by the glass/resin supplier. I will do a full single sheet of woven and tint the final gelcoat black. Tt won't match but I had already planned a SS sheet over the whole stern from the start.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
We need pics!

Yeah I know.

I have a new phone and need some help posting pics from it. Meanwhile, I am taking some as the project progresses.

The boat is Black inside and out and the lighting is really poor but I'll do what I can to document the ordeal.:whistling:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter

I just ran across this Bristol condition old Hinckley design. Well preserved and equipped for offshore.
Located in Old Lyme CT not far from our harbor on the CT river.

I love everything about this one, especially the name. Cathy had once named her favorite car Pywachet. It just might be the one

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/45814

I'm trying to get a viewing this Christmas while we are there.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I just ran across this Bristol condition old Hinckley design. Well preserved and equipped for offshore.
Located in Old Lyme CT not far from our harbor on the CT river.

I love everything about this one, especially the name. Cathy had once named her favorite car Pywachet. It just might be the one

I'm trying to get a viewing this Christmas while we are there.
Wow, that's a real Beaut Franc. Good luck and keep us in the loop please.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
Now that is what we've been talking about! The only thing I saw that raised any question at all was the shot of the shaft
and prop; the corrosion would make me pay a bit of extra attention to the sacrificial anodes. A small quibble to be
sure. At a LOA of 41 feet, not counting the swim platform, she should have a LWL of 35-36 feet, which is near perfect for blue
water. (Crest-to-crest swell height in non-storm conditions averages 32 feet, so anything with an LWL longer than that
will have a more stable ride.)

Once you get her to your berth, a few more pictures would be appreciated!

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Now that is what we've been talking about! The only thing I saw that raised any question at all was the shot of the shaft
and prop; the corrosion would make me pay a bit of extra attention to the sacrificial anodes. A small quibble to be
sure. At a LOA of 41 feet, not counting the swim platform, she should have a LWL of 35-36 feet, which is near perfect for blue
water. (Crest-to-crest swell height in non-storm conditions averages 32 feet, so anything with an LWL longer than that
will have a more stable ride.)

Once you get her to your berth, a few more pictures would be appreciated!

Easy there pardner. Not too fast as we are just drooling over it now. I would first plan a personal visit and review. Then, if interested, we would have a proper marine survey done. Pricey but worth it on a aged boat no matter how Bristol the appearance.

As for the prop and prop shaft carrier, I have seen far worse. And a correction, the swim platform is integral to the hull giving the boat a true 43 foot waterline. Divided by 4 ( the magic number for hull speed), this puts downwind sailing speed thru the water at almost 11 knots.

Then comes the tough choices. We would have to give up the Ranch property. We cannot have both. Partly because of time, but also the expense. If we sold the ranch there would probably be enough to swing the boat entirely. However, I'm not sure I am ready to give up the Ozark dream to live in Connecticut. It is a very pretty state but as blue Liberal as a gay pride parade.

Besides, we still have to live in MO for a while yet. Her 93 year old dad lives with us. His friends and family are here. That weighs heavy in the decision to do anything.

As for Pictures, the boat is likely on the hard now. A shrouded hull with an un-stepped mast is not an exciting photo object. You are seeing it at it's best in the provided link.

I will keep ya'll posted if this one gets legs. First, I have to get to CT for Christmas with the Grandkids. And then carve out the time for a review.

More later.

Last edited:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter

Contacted the owner today. Boat is still available in dry storage, inside.

Old boat like this on the market for three years, not many people interested.

That's where the negotiations begin.

My company is up for sale. A buyer of the right kind is interested. It will take a year to happen, if at all.

Fingers crossed and hope the wife goes along with the deal.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter

Contacted the owner today. Boat is still available in dry storage, inside.

Old boat like this on the market for three years, not many people interested.

That's where the negotiations begin.

My company is up for sale. A buyer of the right kind is interested. It will take a year to happen, if at all.

Fingers crossed and hope the wife goes along with the deal.
As previously noted, she's a Beauty! :biggrin: And how could you go wrong with one named after Gillian Holroyd's cat? :brows:
(Yes, I do know the origin of the name.) That brings us to the questions as to whether Catherine will agree and if so, what
becomes of Poor Little Ava? (Literary, not musical, pun intended. Don't mean to start a low commotion!)

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
As previously noted, she's a Beauty! :biggrin: And how could you go wrong with one named after Gillian Holroyd's cat? :brows:
(Yes, I do know the origin of the name.) That brings us to the questions as to whether Catherine will agree and if so, what
becomes of Poor Little Ava? (Literary, not musical, pun intended. Don't mean to start a low commotion!)

Pyewachet is also the name of Catherine's favorite car back in the 70's. And she is a Kim Novak fan. Works for me too.
She loves the boat but worries about the cost of "livaboard" in CT.

Ava Mo is virtually paid off. Taxes are $27 a year unless we put a real house on it. Utilities average $26 a month. My neighbor uses it as if it were his property. And Mother nature is healing the wounds of fire and logging.

So it is fine just sitting there for now.

Boat life would be short lived. Assuming we don't win a lottery, maybe 4 or 5 years. Once dad passes we will have very few ties to St Louis MO so Ava would be a logical "final" destination. I bought the ranch because it was one of those places on the planet where I could die poor and happy. Even if the country went to hell. Seems fitting for an old, crabby, Indian.

Last edited:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
It has been some time since I last posted in this thread. Most of what we planned has not panned out.
I'm told if you want to see God laugh,,,; tell him your plans.

The Hinkley owner and I could not make a deal. It was way too much money for the boat. So we have moved on. However, our business, which was winding down has grown rather spontaneously despite all our efforts to put it to rest.

We have 10 full time employees and they need their jobs. And frankly the money is nice. We are still primary support for Cathy's dad and our son's family. His disability pay for injury doesn't quite provide for a family of five.

So I get up every morning at 6:00 and open the plant at 7:00. Put in a full day taking some time to look at sailboat listings which is as close as I'm gonna get for a while.

But, I did find this one. And currently working with the owner, retired naval engineer in Newport RI. Big enough for blue water but small enough to transport to MO, lake Stockton where we could sail on weekends until we figure out our future.

There were 219 of these built and right now there are four of them available for sale. Priced on the high end, this one is pristine. Or as they say by the sea,,,;Bristol.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oday-37-Sailboat/202030714229?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
I spoke with the owner today and the boat is still available for sale.

I also like this one.
http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/54081

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The ebay one has ended so could only see the small pic. Did look nice though. So does the 2nd one. Our water does not lend itself to sail boating. We will see one or two try it each season but they quickly disappear. The wind is to erratic for them I suppose.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
The ebay one has ended so could only see the small pic. Did look nice though. So does the 2nd one. Our water does not lend itself to sail boating. We will see one or two try it each season but they quickly disappear. The wind is to erratic for them I suppose.

The one on Ebay has likely ended. But at the moment the boat is unsold. Or the seller is pulling my leg.
Because we spoke thru E-bay several times yesterday.

We have spent most of our sailing time on lake Carlyle in central IL. Great sailing lake though a bit shallow. No mountains or hills to disrupt air flow.
Now we are surveying lake Stockton in MO. One of the best sailing "lakes" in the country. And near out Ozark ranchete

The 35 footer would be perfect on that body of water.

Right now we are still in negotiations. Me and the wife.:yum:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I just talked with the seller. Boat is sold.:sad:

Missed opportunity.

However, on the bright side, my marriage is still intact:whistling: