• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

I hate Home improvement shows !!!

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
People watch this crap and think after 30 minutes that they are Joe Contractor and ready to fix anything or remodel . Lets face facts folks . Some people should never be left alone with tools of any type .Seems like I spend half my time fixing major Fuck ups that these wanta bees cause . I am now having to reinforce the 2nd floor of the building I purchased after some knot head took out a bearing wall and left it with no support .

I just finished one job that grandma could not understand why it was taking so long to finish when she had seen it done completely on a 30 minute TV show ??????

DUh !!!!!
Figure it out dumb ass !!!!

I don't tell a doctor how to operate . I don't want some knucklehed telling me how to do my job . I put my 40 plus years in learning construction and have forgotten more than most of these knotheads on TV will ever know .

And then we have the little classes you can take at Home Depot and "Do it Yourself .:unsure:

Great Idea !! How many times you ever tried to make a compound miter cut with the guard down on a 7 1/2" wormdrive saw . :doh::sad:
How fast can you say ER and ask for the number for 911 while your finger is doing a impersonation of a worm on the floor :whistling:..

But I guess all that crap gives guys like me plenty of work fixing stuff that these idiots have fucked up .:wink:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
The only reason I have ever watched a Home Improvement type show was to gawk at Paul DiMeo..
GQQD LORD but he's hawt!!:yum:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
For five years I sold printing out of my Home office. The house was so quite, I had the DYI shows on for company all day.
Bad move.:doh:
I started far too many projects back then in 1996. Some are still unfinished.

The wife asked me to get a "real" job so I would stop tearing up the house to improve it.

Hometime almost got me divorced.

franc

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
The only reason I have ever watched a Home Improvement type show was to gawk at Paul DiMeo..
GQQD LORD but he's hawt!!:yum:

????? Sound kinda gay:unsure: !!! Does he work outta S.F. :unsure:

Swings a different hammer than I do ! :smile::wink:

AAUTOFAB1

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Well i don't normally see the shows often but i did see the Homes on Homes show, where he completely bags on other contractors scabbed together jobs, its very funny stuff.:yum:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
????? Sound kinda gay:unsure: !!! Does he work outta S.F. :unsure:

Swings a different hammer than I do ! :smile::wink:

DiMeo was chosen as the master carpenter on the restoration of the Landmark Brownstone of Aaron Burr.

Currently DiMeo lives in Los Angeles with his wife, Kelly, and runs his marketing/labor company, High Meadows Production, Inc.

hmmph!:hide::yum:

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
I learned everything that I know about building and remodeling from the great show Tool Time.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I see a lot of stuff where the shows take short cuts to keep the cost down . Do people really put tile directly over sheetrock ??
And then they get pissed when the tile starts falling off the walls in the shower .

I am a cocky SOB . Its taken me a long time and a lot of schooling to get to the point I am in Construction . I take great pride in my work and taking on a impossible jobs that others turn away from is the normal for me . Did I say I am a cocky SOB ??

I'm sorry ... You don't and can't learn it all in 10 years and call yourself a bad ass carpenter or contractor .

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
These damn shows give wives ideas but no money or common sense.:hammer::hammer::hammer:

Mrs. Zoom watches those shows from time-to-time. Unfortunately, it normally leads to a project for me. Well, I've learned how to curb that a bit. When she wants a project done that's anything beyond maintenance, I get a tool (of my choice).

She now wants Pergo floor on one level of the house. I get my $500 DeWalt table saw. :)

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I learned everything that I know about building and remodeling from the great show Tool Time.

I learned everything I know about building, capentry, plumbing and electrical from my father. Sorta.

My secondary educstion in these arts came from a lady known about town as "Experience." She is a tough teacher because she always gives the test before she teaches the lesson.

The first lessons I learned were,,,,,POP was wrong about most things.:whistling:

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I learned everything I know about bulding, capentry, plumbing and electrical from my father. Sorta.

My secondary eduction in these arts came from a lady know about as "Experience." She is a tough teacher because she always gives the test before she teaches the lesson.

The first lessons I learned were,,,,,POP was wrong about most things.:whistling:

Franc, check your PM.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I see a lot of stuff where the shows take short cuts to keep the cost down . Do people really put tile directly over sheetrock ??
And then they get pissed when the tile starts falling off the walls in the shower .

I am a cocky SOB . Its taken me a long time and a lot of schooling to get to the point I am in Construction . I take great pride in my work and taking on a impossible jobs that others turn away from is the normal for me . Did I say I am a cocky SOB ??

I'm sorry ... You don't and can't learn it all in 10 years and call yourself a bad ass carpenter or contractor .

Been do electrical work in one capacity or another since 1966 and I still find it amazing how much there is to learn. :biggrin:

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
Only 'home improvement' show I watch goes by that name.

Still can't figure out why Lith won't let me 'rewire' the vacuum cleaner...

polls_tim_toolman_taylor_0649_596995_answer_13_xlarge.jpeg

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
Referring to the original post here, I used to watch home improvement shows alot more than I do now. Some of the little tips and tricks (most of which I have forgotten) can be helpful. But I have never watched a 30 minute program, and then went to replace all my plumbing.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I could do that! The 1/2 hour would be a nice break from all the wifey things I have to do. Plumbing is usually a lot easier than the stuff she wants done.

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
I could do that! The 1/2 hour would be a nice break from all the wifey things I have to do. Plumbing is usually a lot easier than the stuff she wants done.

That's because you are taking the wrong approach, good Sir Mule. If you put it off long enough, things somehow get done on their own. Nobody knows how it happens. I think it's the underpants gnomes. Times are hard and stealing underwear in the midnight hours just isn't cutting it anymore, so they need to take odd jobs around the house to make due.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Putting it off ain't getting my axle bearing out. Got to get on it with the torch today. If I don't the snow will be flying and the Prius will need diggers on it.:clap:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Hole is always dug up here. Don't know if it is big enough for the Prius but you would fit.:yum::yum::yum:

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Yeah, I know all about your baiting capabilities, or is that a special talent?
Hmmm...:yum:
Not necessarily a talent, but rather, I consider it a gift to men so we don't have to beg women and spend lots of money on them. It's like freedom from extortion, and, it can be done in the privacy of your own home. :yum::yum::yum::hide: