• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Death Benefits Denied to Families of Fallen Troops

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
http://www.military.com/daily-news/...fits-denied-to-families-of-fallen-troops.html
Death Benefits Denied to Families of Fallen Troops

Oct 08, 2013
Military.com| by Richard Sisk
13 comments

joseph-peters-428x285-ts300.jpg

The families of four soldiers and one Marine killed in Afghanistan over the weekend have been told that they will be denied death benefits while the government shutdown continues, leaving at least one mother in despair and disbelief.
The families will also be denied travel re-imbursement should they choose to go to Dover Air Force Base, Del., for the solemn return of the caskets of their loved ones, Pentagon officials said Tuesday.
"For the sacrifice our kids are making, at the age that they're making them, I don't understand how this can be a benefit that's withheld. I won't ever understand it," Shannon Collins, the mother of 19-year-old Marine Lance Cpl. Jeremiah M. Collins, told NBC News.
"Families shouldn't have to worry about how they're going to bury their child," Shannon Collins said. "The government is hurting the wrong people."
Pentagon officials said that the "Pay Our Military Act," passed by Congress just before the government shutdown began on Oct. 1, provided for the basic pay of the military during the political impasse, but did not allow for the payment of death benefits.
"Unfortunately, as a result of the shutdown, we do not have the legal authority to make death gratuity payments at this time," said Lt. Cmdr. Nate Christensen, a Pentagon spokesman. "However, we are keeping a close eye on those survivors who have lost loved ones [to make the payments once the shutdown ends]," Christensen said.
Lance Cpl. Collins, of Milwaukee, Wis., was killed last Saturday in an incident in southewestern Helmand province in Afghanistan. Collins was an intelligence analyst assigned to Combat Logistics Regiment 2, 2nd Marine Logistics Group, II Marine Expeditionary Force, based in Camp Lejeune, N.C.
In a separate incident on Sunday, four Army troops were killed by an improvised expolsive device as they entered a building in the Zhari district of southern Kandahar province.
The Defense Department identified them as 1st Lt. Jennifer M. Moreno, 25, of San Diego, Calif., assigned to Madigan Army Medical Center, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Wash.; Sgt. Patrick C. Hawkins, 25, of Carlisle, Pa., assigned to the 3rd Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment, Fort Benning, Ga.; Sgt. Joseph M. Peters, 24, of Springfield, Mo., assigned to the 5th Military Police Battalion, Vicenza, Italy; and PFC Cody J. Patterson, 24, of Philomath, Ore., assigned to the 3rd Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment, at Fort Benning, Ga.
The failure to pay death benefits to the family has spread anger in the commands of the fallen troops.
"We're working through that issue now," said Chris Grey, a spokesman for the Army's Criminal Investigation Diviison, when asked whether the command was looking to find a way around the legal proscriptions to help the family of Peters, who reported to CID.
"One way or another, that family is going to be taken care of -- if we have to pass the hat," Grey said.
At Fort Benning, Ga., Hawkins was recalled as "a brave and incredibly talented Ranger" by Lt. Col. Patrick J. Ellis, commander of 3rd Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment.
Hawkins "was moving to the aid of a wounded Ranger (PFC Patterson) when he was killed," Ellis said in a statement. "His actions that night were in keeping with the epitome of the Ranger Creed: 'I will never leave a fallen comrade.'"
"We've had a number of people die recently and we will be able to pay them, but not until the lapse of appropriation ends," said Pentagon Comptroller Bob Hale during a call with reporters where he announced Saturday that most furloughed civilian DoD workers were being recalled,
"We're trying to be helpful through aid societies and others to the family members who are involved in these tragic circumstances," Hale said, but the death gratuity of $100,000 would have to be withheld. "Unfortunately, we don't have the legal authority to make those payments."
The government shutdown started on Oct. 1 after Congress failed to pass a budget or a continuing resolution to fund the government in fiscal year 2014. Despite their failures, lawmakers railed against those across the aisle for not allowing death benefits be paid to the families of troops who have died.
"This particular situation is unthinkable," Rep. Renee Ellmers, R-N.C., said. "A great injustice is being done to our service members and their families."
Chairman of the House Armed Services Committee Rep. Howard "Buck" McKeon, R-Calif., said Tuesday in a statement that Congress expected death benefits to fall under the Pay Our Military Act. He said his committee would act immediately to ensure they are paid. However, at press time no legislation had been passed to do so.
"We can never let the welfare of our troops and their families become pawns in a political contest. If the Pentagon believes they need more explicit authority to disburse these payments, I am sure the House will provide it in very short order," McKeon said in a statement.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
They need to find who made this decision and kick their f**kinng ass but good. This sort of shit is uncalled for. Take the damn presidents pay as well as congress but not death benefits to our fallen hero families.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
******* IT! THESE FUCKERS IN POWER! FUCK!

These lowsy rotten bastards being paid

awe fuck it, what's the point.

They keep this shit up and there will be a revolution.

Screwing around with soldiers - these bastards will rot in hell.

Totally pizzed.
:hammer::shitHitFan::furious::bangin::angry::puke1::shit4::gun2_smi::gun1::angry3:

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
It was all to be expected when a muslim was elected to run the country...TWICE. I'm not real good at expressing my myself,:brows:, but suffice to say I believe this man to be the bastard spawn of Satan himself, and has surrounded himself with more of Satan's children. Only the most evil and vile from the nether world would treat their fellow human beings with such loathing and contempt. May their black souls burn forever in the pit of hell for their wicked ways.

Hey...i might make a good Baptist preacher some day. Wudda ya think???:brows:

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
Wish I could write with sush clarity!!!!!!!!Both Waybomb and JEV.......I concure!!!!!!!

Kane

It was all to be expected when a muslim was elected to run the country...TWICE. I'm not real good at expressing my myself,:brows:, but suffice to say I believe this man to be the bastard spawn of Satan himself, and has surrounded himself with more of Satan's children.
Even tho the liberals responsible for this man's re-election still slobber today, History will not be so kind. Dinesh D' Souza's 2016 needs no sequel. Hussein will be written the despicable man that that he is.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
They need to find who made this decision and kick their f**kinng ass but good. This sort of shit is uncalled for. Take the damn presidents pay as well as congress but not death benefits to our fallen hero families.

While unprovable, we know who made this decision. It is the executive branch that is technicaly responsible for the implementation and management of the laws and funding as provided by the Congress. Therefore if unltimately falls on the oval office.

Even if some corporal enlisted started the process, or the Joint chiefs of staff, the White House has the authority, a power it seems to execise anywhere else it chooses, to countermand any such so called Pentegon directives and make things right. Is he not the CIC.

But even conservative FOX won't say it.

It matters not whether he commanded it or allowed it, such policy is clearly wrong and painful to the troops. Consedered on a basis of morality, or duty or constitutional responsibiliity,,, I believe this falls on the feet of the President either way.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
This should not be happening, and it doesn't have to! While the law clearly states (unfortunately) that these payments
cannot be made without funding authorization, there is nothing to prevent a member of the House from submitting a
special authorization bill to cover these expenditures; if that is done and either the Senate or White House refuses to agree,
then we'll know precisely who to blame.

As an aside, as the article itself points out, the death gratuity and final pay and allowances will be paid the moment a
budget is passed. In the meantime, unless the service members declined participation, which is uncommon,
the designated beneficiaries of the Servicemen's Group Life Insurance, for which the members pay premiums every
month, must be paid ... and that is a considerable amount of cash. Once again, unless a member takes specific, willful
action to change the standard SGLI benefit, that amounts to a payment of $400,000 to the beneficiary and the VA, which
administers the program, has already noted that these payments will be made regardless of the status of the government
shutdown.

While I believe we owe every penny to the families immediately, they should not be in financial distress over
final arrangements as long as the VA doesn't drag it's heels in getting the SGLI payments out the door.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Mom mentioned that if we werntso old it might be prudent to head north some where acrost the boarder.....
I didn't head for canada awhen all my tough buddies turned tail during the Viet Nam draft. I ain't running now.

I am proud to be an American. An easycall once you separate that from what is happening in the WhitHouse. And make no mistake, all of this,,,,ALL OF IT....is spwnedin the White House and amoungst those who would follow Barracks lead.

Read his books and you will understand why he is hell bent on bringing the nation to it's knees. remember the Reverend J Wright Church he attended for 20 years, remember Frank Davis, the mentor of his youth, and the absent father he adored.

This is the man who studied Alynski and broke bread with Bill Ayers. The chickens are home and roosting. And most of America does not give a damm so long as the goodies keep coming.

A good number of Canadians seem smug now in our grief. It is not the first time. Many scolded us after 911. Many eagerly took in our deserters back in the 60's, with smug condescention. Many, but notall. Good or bad,,,,that should tell you something about our northern friends.

Those of us who were honestly proud of America, for the most part, still are. And we gather energy and purpose with each passing day of Fosdic's felacious occupatin of the "People's House." Inspired not with the hope our society and our nation will change back. But with a determination to be part of the movement that makes that so.

Or die trying.

Leni

The Pentagon announced Wednesday that a charity will step in to pay death benefits to the families of fallen soldiers, in response to widespread outrage over the payments being cut off amid the partial government shutdown.

Earlier in the day, the head of the Veterans of Foreign Wars slammed the cut-off as "absolutely appalling."
The House voted Wednesday afternoon to restore the $100,000 payments. But in a rapid turn of events, the Pentagon announced minutes later that it had entered into an agreement with the non-profit Fisher House Foundation to keep the payments flowing to families -- without the need for congressional action. (Though the House approved its bill unanimously, senior Senate sources told Fox News that the Senate did not plan to take it up.)
"In consultation with the Office of Management and Budget, DoD has determined that we can enter into a contract with the Fisher House Foundation to provide these benefits," Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said in a statement, while saying he was "offended" and "outraged" that the partial shutdown prevented the Pentagon from making the payments.
GOP leaders have disputed that point. They say legislation approved last week to pay the military should have given the Pentagon the ability to pay death benefits.
Hagel claimed the administration still "lacked the necessary authority," and so turned to the Fisher House Foundation for help.
"After the shutdown ends, DoD will reimburse the Fisher House for the costs it has incurred," he said.
William Thien, the VFW national commander, earlier in the day called the benefit cut-off the "last straw" in the effects of the partial shutdown.
"It is absolutely appalling and nothing short of a travesty that elected officials continue to receive paychecks and benefits while not providing for those who deserve it most," he said.
White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said President Obama was "very disturbed to learn of this problem" and directed the Pentagon to work with the White House budget office to correct it.
The number of families affected is far greater than previously thought. It was initially confirmed that the families of five servicemembers, who were killed since the partial shutdown went into effect, had their $100,000 benefit payments delayed.
A senior U.S. defense official told Fox News that the total number of families affected is actually 26 -- the number of U.S. servicemembers who have died since Oct. 1. Twenty of them died in the U.S.; six were killed in Afghanistan. All 26 families were not receiving the $100,000 payments.
The treatment of veterans amid the partial shutdown has fueled anger and frustration. Veterans Affairs Secretary Eric Shinseki testified before a House committee on Wednesday that if the impasse is not resolved by the end of the month, millions of veterans will see their compensation and other VA payments halted. He said he cannot act without a budget.
"This is totally unacceptable and disgraceful that our elected leaders in Washington would allow this to happen," Thien said in a written statement. "We need leadership, not more rhetoric, and if the government is unable to take care of veterans, then the government should quit creating us."
The remains of four of the six soldiers killed in Afghanistan were returned on Wednesday to Dover Air Force Base, Del. Hagel traveled to the air force base for the arrival.
The four soldiers killed Sunday are 1st Lt. Jennifer M. Moreno, 25, of San Diego, Calif.; Sgt. Patrick C. Hawkins, 25, of Carlisle, Pa.; Sgt. Joseph M. Peters, 24, of Springfield, Mo., and Pfc. Cody J. Patterson, 24, of Philomath, Ore.
Rep. Duncan Hunter, R-Calif., wrote to Hagel on Tuesday complaining about the suspension of the $100,000 death benefit and accusing the Pentagon of making that decision on the basis of a "careless legal interpretation."
Administration officials have said the decision was based on a legal review by government lawyers, including the Justice Department.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
I hope in trying to inflict as much pain as possible w/ the shutdown, it blows up in the face of the dems and BO.
Mike

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
I wonder why that during the BUSH years one death was screemed from the roof tops.....and now many die and not a peep out of the press!!! and we find out that many deaths have been hushed up and kept quiet.....tonight I read on BB that many rules were broken, and the dc police them selves broke many laws to get Finstine her guns!!!!!and the philadelphia poliece were involved in scirting laws in the same "gun running operation"and the capital poliece were directly involved by looking the other way on the matter.......wonder what would happen if I were to take an AR-15,a tec -9,and a MP-15 into washington ....let alone the capital building???? and not a peep out of the press!!!!!! Do ya reckon Sen...Cruse could do the same thing????:hammer: Bet it would be real dark where I would have been put!!!!!! or Cruse for that matter!!!!

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
I sometimes wish that I could be granted the power to sit in a room and force people to speek only the truth...and force them to stay in place until they told the whole truth:hammer:...and if they tried to touch me to make me leave they would burst into flames...:whistling: Do ya think I would be a welcome site on the floor of the house or senate?????:yum: and do ya think you could tell the difference between a repulsive...or a dumorat??? Let the sorting begain!!!!!!!

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I sometimes wish that I could be granted the power to sit in a room and force people to speek only the truth...and force them to stay in place until they told the whole truth:hammer:...and if they tried to touch me to make me leave they would burst into flames...:whistling: Do ya think I would be a welcome site on the floor of the house or senate?????:yum: and do ya think you could tell the difference between a repulsive...or a dumorat??? Let the sorting begain!!!!!!!

That's a great idea.

When can you start?