• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Who are the narrow minded bigots?

cdajen

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
I think this is a psychologist issue, not a liberal/conservative issue. WND is one of the most biased sources available on the web. If you look up the actual survey, it's not quiet the same as is portrayed on WND, as most of the WND article is a conservative editorial. If you do a little more research on the study itself, the most reasonable conclusion is, as I expected, a numbers game.

"conservatives represent a distinct minority on college and university campuses. A 2007 report by sociologists Neil Gross and Solon Simmons found that 80 percent of psychology professors at elite and non-elite universities are Democrats. Other studies reveal that 5 percent to 7 percent of faculty openly identify as Republicans. By contrast, about 20 percent of the general population are liberal and 40 percent are conservative.
Mr. Inbar and Mr. Lammers found that conservatives fear that revealing their political identity will have negative consequences. This is why New York University-based psychologist Jonathan Haidt, a self-described centrist, has compared the experience of being a conservative graduate student to being a closeted gay student in the 1980s.
In 2011, Mr. Haidt addressed this very issue at a meeting of the Society for Personality and Social Psychology — the same group that Mr. Inbar and Mr. Lammer surveyed. Mr. Haidt’s talk, “The Bright Future of Post-Partisan Social Psychology,” caused a stir. The professor, whose new book “The Righteous Mind” examines the moral roots of our political positions, asked the nearly 1,000 academics and students in the room to raise their hands if they were liberals. Nearly 80 percent of the hands went up. When he asked whether there were any conservatives in the house, just three hands — 0.3 percent — went up.
This is “a statistically impossible lack of diversity,” Mr. Haidt said."

There are so many more liberals in the field of psychology, that there is naturally a group response of the vast majority of the field. Liberals tend to vote for liberals, conservatives tend to vote for and prefer conservatives. It's not evidence that liberals are more exclusive or bigoted than conservatives. It's evidence that most psychologist are liberal.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I agree that WND has a spectacular bent and is always a dubious source.

That said, my life experiences indicate that they are correct on this one.

Kane

I agree that WND has a spectacular bent and is always a dubious source.

That said, my life experiences indicate that they are correct on this one.
Politics aside, my life experiences tell me that anyone who gets into psychology is a little nuts in the first place, and gets into the gig primarily to seek out what's wrong with them. A study by psychologists usually justifies an end.

cdajen

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
Oh and also, the study made no question of whether or not the "liberal" study participants were either democrat or republican.

CityGirl

Silver Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Politics aside, my life experiences tell me that anyone who gets into psychology is a little nuts in the first place, and gets into the gig primarily to seek out what's wrong with them. A study by psychologists usually justifies an end.
My life experience shows something totally different since my mom has her PhD in psychology and is a teacher and a practicum coordinator at a master's degree school for Christian counseling. What you say of studies is true of many studies regardless of subject/profession.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Politics aside, my life experiences tell me that anyone who gets into psychology is a little nuts in the first place, and gets into the gig primarily to seek out what's wrong with them.

What about folks who were required to do so as a prerequisite for a degree?
Jesus, I am thankful for it.. it's served me well over the years.:brows:

Kane

What about folks who were required to do so as a prerequisite for a degree?
Jesus, I am thankful for it.. it's served me well over the years.:brows:
You're right, PG. I shouldn't generalize so, and I apologize.

Sure, there a some like I say that get onto pych to self-diagnose, but I'm sure there are just as many like CityGirl's mom that get into it for more noble reasons. Thank God for that.

Then again, there are just as many or more that go into pych as frustrated second-year college students pressed to select a major. It is the easy choice for students otherwise lacking in an understanding of math, physics and the sciences. Sorry to say, but it's the easy major, popular among the Occupy Wall Street crowd.

On the other hand, a degree in psychology does give that Occupy Wall Street brat the sense of the academically elite necessary to carry on. So it's all good.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
It's not the easy major at all, although I get the gist of what you're trying to say concerning the OWS crowd.
And to correct you a bit.. psychology is a science.. just ask any doctor, nurse or lawyer for that matter.

CityGirl

Silver Member
SUPER Site Supporter
It's not the easy major at all, although I get the gist of what you're trying to say concerning the OWS crowd.
And to correct you a bit.. psychology is a science.. just ask any doctor, nurse or lawyer for that matter.

Agreed pirate_girl

iagree.gif
Me three!

Kane

Dear Abby,

I should be going transferring off to a university, and very recently, I got into a minor discussion with my mother concerning career choices.

Now my mother advises that I should become a dentist. But for quite some time lately, I've always wanted to become a clinical psychologist, even though I know that it requires a PhD. I already know a great deal of psychology and I am a highly interested in the workings of the human mind. I'm also a compassionate person (if that helps at all).

So not too long ago, I mentioned this choice to my mom, and she scoffed and said that "with a Psychology degree, you will NOT find a job. You'll likely be working at McDonald's or some retail store."

I then told her that I knew that a bachelor's degree in Psychology was near worthless, and that at least a masters degree was useful in landing a related job.

Then immediately she said that "Listen, about the PhD Psychology program, ANY FOOL can get a degree in that. Okay? Forget it. You're not entering the Psychology program."

I then just said "okay" and the discussion ended subsequently.

My parents are planning to help pay for some of my schooling for these next 2 years, so if I wanted to change my major to Psychology, what can I do? They'll have a fit.

I'm 20 years old turning 21 this summer by the way. I'll probably blow off school this fall to go Occupy Wall Street and protest with the rest of my friends. So if I don't get arrested or something, what should I do?

signed,

All Phyched Out.

O so common.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter

And finally, we come to the inevitable impasse that friends always seem to find. At the present time, the best that can
be said of psych is that it is a "fuzzy science"; that is, an art that is valiantly trying to make its way into the arena of science. To
quote a very wise man, "If it can't be expressed in numbers, it isn't science."

Psych is headed in the right direction, but at present it cannot be called a science.

cdajen

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
With the exponential advancement of neuroscience and the ability to actually See what is going on in the brain, as well as the knowledge of how certain chemicals affect brain function and chemistry, psychology is certainly a science. The "fuzzy" part comes in because there are so many variables between individuals. Epigenetics changes the field of psychology all the time. One of the biggest problems is that there are too many psychologists who do not keep up with current technology, or continued education. Many of them are still operating under guidelines and assumptions from the 70's, 80's, and 90's. It is an expanding field but definitely a science. :)

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
With the exponential advancement of neuroscience and the ability to actually See what is going on in the brain, as well as the knowledge of how certain chemicals affect brain function and chemistry, psychology is certainly a science. The "fuzzy" part comes in because there are so many variables between individuals. Epigenetics changes the field of psychology all the time. One of the biggest problems is that there are too many psychologists who do not keep up with current technology, or continued education. Many of them are still operating under guidelines and assumptions from the 70's, 80's, and 90's. It is an expanding field but definitely a science. :)

Neurology is certainly a science, and appears to be what you're describing here; a very few psychologists are on this cutting
edge where psych and neurology meet, and they can be predominately found in major research institutions such as
the John. Almost none of this has filtered down to the everyday working psych. Until these new techniques become
a standard part of the ordinary psych's arsenal, I will stand by my statement: art, not yet science.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
Thank you. It's nice to be able to disagree amiably.

Our oldest has neurological problems (Asperger's Syndrome, an "umbrella" diagnosis) and we deal with a psych whose
work in brain mapping and neurofeedback is truly cutting edge; even with that, even he admits that the majority of what
he does is still more art than science.

Once all the therapy used by psychologists reached the same plane as those noted above it will truly be a science, but as
long as talk therapy still plays a major part it will remain an art. That is my conclusion anyway, based on nearly thirty
years of exposure to the entire spectrum of neuro-psych practice.

CityGirl

Silver Member
SUPER Site Supporter
There is a fusion with arts and science when the science is applied to the human. Hence "the art of medicine", "the art of nursing"...all grounded in science but because of the human element, an art. I recall working on my bachelor's degree and all the emphasis being placed on "nursing being a science that can stand on it's own" What a bunch of hooey! It is my perspective that nursing is an art that stands on science as is medicine and psychology.

cdajen

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
I think you put that quite well CG. There is definitely an art to the practice of psychology, just as there is with surgery. Someone can read endlessly about how to suture a surgical incision, but the people who are best at it do it with a personal flair. Some of the best suturing I've ever seen has been by veterinary surgeons, even though their patients aren't likely to complain about the cosmetics of a visible scar.

The more I think about it, most great art is based on science. Proportions, angles, mathmetics, etc... all science that great effects art.

Danang, since you clearly have more experience with this particular subject, i won't argue with you. You're right. The study of psychology is a science. It's practice is an art. :)

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
I think you put that quite well CG. There is definitely an art to the practice of psychology, just as there is with surgery. Someone can read endlessly about how to suture a surgical incision, but the people who are best at it do it with a personal flair. Some of the best suturing I've ever seen has been by veterinary surgeons, even though their patients aren't likely to complain about the cosmetics of a visible scar.

The more I think about it, most great art is based on science. Proportions, angles, mathmetics, etc... all science that great effects art.

Danang, since you clearly have more experience with this particular subject, i won't argue with you. You're right. The study of psychology is a science. It's practice is an art. :)

I can live with that. As noted, that art is slowing moving toward becoming a real science; I'm proud that we are dealing
with one of those who is recognized as being a national leader in that move. No doubt the day will come when all the arts
involved with mental health will indeed be true sciences. I hope it arrives in time to help my son, but I'm not holding
my breath on that.

BTW, it is because of our son that Dragonfly Lady and I have become somewhat familiar with the mental health field. It
was a matter of learn, or let the system steamroller our son into placements and treatments that we knew would not be
in his best interests. Our greatest satisfaction is knowing that our efforts over the last 25+ years have actually had a major
positive impact, not just for our son, but on the system itself. Not bad for a commercial credit worker and a professional
military enlisted man, neither with any formal medical training.

cdajen

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
You sound like one of a pair of dedicated parents. the world needs more people like you. I know first hand that the mental health field is littered with landmines. If you are not willing to be your own advocate and to learn, you will get steamrolled. Unfortunately, for every compassionate mental health provider, there seems to be 2 that don't listen and don't care. I spent a number of years incorrectly medicated and misdiagnosed. I finally learned and became confident in the fact that NO ONE knows Me, better than me. Now I've found a doctor takes the time to listen, and to consider my opinions. I've never been healthier or happier.

Do you mind if I ask what challenges your son faces? I don't mean to be too personal.
Also, thank you for your military service. Working with military doctors and hospitals doesn't always make things easier, I know.