• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Can a propane gas grill be converted to NG?

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I am tired of running 10 miles to get a new bottle of propane every few weeks - yes, we use the grill a lot as soon as it's above 40 or so outside.

What do I need to buy that will allow me to hook up to the natural gas of the house?

It's a Charbroil "Commercial" grill, three burners.

Thanks!

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
All you have to change are the gas jets. NG and propane have a different size orifice. It's a small, 3/4" long 3/8" diameter brass fitting threaded somewhere on your gas line. Find it take it off and bring it to any appliance repair shop. They should have the NG ones. Or go on your grill website and buy it from them.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
The website is useless.

I'll find the part and try a supply house.

Thanks
Fred

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
Found this on another forum.

Thanks to everyone for contributing to this forum. I learned a lot and would like to share my grilling success. I was looking for a 3 burner (with 4th side burner) 100% stainless natural gas (NG) grill with stainless burners and grills. I bought the Charmglow Model #720-0036-HD-05 at Home Depot for $349 fully assembled. This is an LP gas model manufactured by Nexgrill (www.nexgrill.net) with a fully enclosed lower cabinet also made from stainless. The main upper gill is made from a high quality stainless (non-magnetic) and the lower cabinet is made from the lower grade (magnetic) stainless. The lower cabinet has a whole with a rubber grommet on the rear panel… perfect for your NG line to feed through.

1. To convert from LP to NG, I called the Nexgrill parts line at 800-913-8999 and ordered the natural gas (NG) orifices for $25 plus $6 shipping. The LP orifices that come standard are a 1.05 orifice size and the replacement NG orifice is a 1.50. The NG holes do look 50% larger. Simple installation instructions come with the new orifices. (You can also drill out the LP orifices but I wanted to keep the LP gas option.) You simply remove the knobs and front panel, replace the (3) orifices then reattached the front panel. Be sure to use some pipe tape to seal the threads on the orifice. Next, remove the side burner knob and valve, replace the (1) orifice then reattach the valve and knob. Be sure to make sure the orifices slide back into the burners when reattaching.

2. You may need to adjust open the 2 small flanges on the electronic starters to allow the natural gas to light. By bending the flanges open, the natural gas flows through the center of the metal contacts and ignites. If the flanges are closed, the natural gas will not ignite.

3. Connect your NG grill to your natural gas connection with a natural gas (not LP) appliance hose. Most standard NG appliance hoses are a maximum of 4 feet. I needed a 14ft one, so I went to the local “old fashion” hardware store and they made on for me on the spot for $23. It has the standard female end to connect to the house male fitting and a male fitting to connect to the gas grill female fitting.

4. The flames are a solid blue color and seem to provide adequate heat. I fired up the grill on high and reached 460 degrees (and climbing) in 10 minutes. With opening and closing the lid during grilling, I maintained a constant 400 degrees which cooked the burgers well. Happy Grilling!!

Here's another,

Not only can one convert from LP to Natural Gas (easy) or NG to LP (a little more difficult), but several companies even sell conversion kits for this. In fact, I personally converted my Char-Broil Commercial series grill from LP to Natural Gas using a Char-Broil conversion kit just yesterday. The kit consisted of basically a tool (a wrench that made it easy to access the orifices), a flexible 3/8" hose with quick disconnect and some new bezels for the knobs that say "natural gas" on them. The latter item is optional and has nothing to do with performance.

The process of converting from LP to Natural gas is essentially to enlarge the orifice for each burner (accomplished by removing the existing orifice, and depending on the kit, replacing with a new orifice, or, if the conversion is being performed without a kit, drilling out the existing orifice). Next, the LP gas regulator is removed and the flexible hose is connected in it's place.

Using the manufacturer's kit, I completed the task for 6 burners in about 20-25 minutes, including the regulator/hose replacement.

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=256383

scroll down to a contributor named "Timhood"

Last edited:

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Roadking, I think you should also mention the propane pressure regulator isn't needed either.
Mike

Cityboy

Banned
Contact your local natural gas provider to be safe. You may need a new gas valve if you cannot replace the orfice; and I certainly would advise against any attempts at drilling an orfice. Some NG providers can provide you with a new regulator, and some have pretty good deals on NG grills and piping & installation is included in the price. It's worth looking into.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Some NG providers can provide you with a new regulator, and some have pretty good deals on NG grills and piping & installation is included in the price. It's worth looking into.
Ditto. You probably will need a small regulator on the NG line at the grill. But the overall conversion of the grill is something that is not hard and kits are available for many brands. Remember also that NG is not as hot as Propane so it might take an extra minute to cook your burgers.

Deerlope

Your Nat gas company should be the only one to drill out the LP orfice. The orfice on a Nat gas burner will have a larger hole because the pressure is lower.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Is switching to a larger LP tank an option? Around me, the pretty active grills are hooked to a 60 or 100# tank.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Do they sell grills already setup for NG? Off topic but I get free NG (225,000 cft and 25 cents a thousand after) from the well drill and I'm all electric. I haven't run the line to the house yet but it will be done before the winter comes again.

My plan is to convert everything as they fail (water heater, range, dryer, etc...) but the fireplace will have gas this winter. I'm just trying to think of ways to use the gas. Yes, a backup generator is being considered.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yep, they sell grills already set up for natural gas.

Why am I still using propane? :pat: I also get free gas from a well on my property and doing the same as you BD, switching appliances and such as they break to natural gas. The dryer broke last fall and I switched from electric to gas. But I keep my grill in the garage and pull it out when using it. Guess that is why I have not considered switching that to NG. We use the grill a lot, but still only go through two 20 pound LP canisters a year. So I would guess the cost to be 25 dollars a year.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Contact your local natural gas provider to be safe. You may need a new gas valve if you cannot replace the orfice; and I certainly would advise against any attempts at drilling an orfice. Some NG providers can provide you with a new regulator, and some have pretty good deals on NG grills and piping & installation is included in the price. It's worth looking into.

That's a great idea! Seems our local gas supplier is a good supplier. Before i put in my 199,000 btu tankless water heater, I had to get a larger meter. One phone call, no questions asked, and they were out the next day installing a new larger meter. Maybe they'll help me buy even more gas!