• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

vw fuel pump flow

zekeusa

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I have seen them do it. When you shut the engine off the fuel filter fills up. I think I just kept running the engine and it eventually stopped bubbling. I was told you adjust the fuel pressure by the number of gaskets under the pump. Sorry that's all I know. I'll start my VW tonight and see if it bubbles

NorCal

Jim, VW used two different style pumps, The difference is the length of the pushrod by about a 1/4 inch. Compare your original pump to the new one upside down, one style the plunger is about level to base the other the plunger sits up deeper. If you got the shorter pushrod with the deeper plunger pump it will barely pump, enough to idle but will starve for fuel. Hope that helps

Chris aka Norcal

NorCal

JBUGS.com has a good explanation of this....

Am I ordering the correct Fuel Pump for my car?
Alternator and Generator Fuel Pumps look identical on the outside, but they mount differently under the base. Pay attention to where the metal flange is located underside.
Does it stick out past the base?
Or does it sit recessed inside the base?

This is essential to check as your fuel DRIVE ROD will either be too short (no contact with flange) or too long (break the flange on impact).
NOTE: Please double check with the image below to ensure you are ordering the correct type of fuel pump.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
i could have bought a pump for the 40hp one i removed. i'll start checking.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
It is the incorrect pump my block is a 1973 a AH is stamped on it and I bought a 1970 fuel pump.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
just my luck. after replacing the pump the thing still pumps air the same as the video.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
getting the feeling i'm talking to myself.
it was sucking air. I replaced my bad quick tank connecter.
DSC00035.jpg

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
that's good to know my boat needs a little choke to run I was thinking it may need a le carb work I will be looking a little harder at those conections