• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Thoughts on an Expedition

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
With the twins on the way, we are needing a vehicle that can handle the car seats; the F150 SCAB wont fit the rear facing seats. I'd like to keep the F150 though, so I am looking at getting rid of the two sedans (with 235K and 218K miles), and get another truck. A friend of ours has a 1997 Eddie Bauer expedition for sale that I am considering.
  • 1997 Expedition, Eddie Bauer trim
  • 5.4L Triton V8
  • 105K Miles
  • Throwing code P0302 (Cylinder 2 misfire)
  • Throwing code P0304 (Cylinder 4 misfire)
  • Throwing code P0446 (EVAP vent problem)
Here's the real kicker....the 4WD doesn't appear to be working. I drove the truck a few minutes ago, and in slippery snow and ice, I placed the truck in 4WD and floored the gas, only the rear wheels spun. The truck is not clean inside, but a detailing will take care of that.

The good part is, I think she would accept an offer of only $3000 for the truck, she has been "selling" it since summer, but it has actually just sat parked for that time.

I don't think any of the engine codes are that severe, and a tune up should fix them. The 4WD could be a big deal, or it could be a blown fuse (it's electronic, not manual transfer). Hard to tell without more wrench time.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I'd be extremely careful with any code of a cylinder misfire. The '97 model year seems to be the worst on blowing out spark plugs from defective heads. I've personally been involved in well over a dozen 1997 5.4 spark plug spitting problems. I actually sold my wife's 1997 Expediton I bought her when it only had 20k miles on it. I had no desire to have her stranded with my kids due to a freakin' known problem on those engines that Ford won't do anything about. If they spit out a spark plug, you're flat stranded. Here is one case where it happened to a Ford master tech spark plug spitting

Just type in "Ford spark plug" in Google and you'll find links to hundreds and hundreds of such cases.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
I'd be extremely careful with any code of a cylinder misfire. The '97 model year seems to be the worst on blowing out spark plugs from defective heads. I've personally been involved in well over a dozen 1997 5.4 spark plug spitting problems. I actually sold my wife's 1997 Expediton I bought her when it only had 20k miles on it. I had no desire to have her stranded with my kids due to a freakin' known problem on those engines that Ford won't do anything about. If they spit out a spark plug, you're flat stranded. Here is one case where it happened to a Ford master tech spark plug spitting

Just type in "Ford spark plug" in Google and you'll find links to hundreds and hundreds of such cases.

Hmmm....that is contrary to what I have been reading. The '97's have the older two valve engine, and the spark plug issues are part of the newer three valve design.

edit: Obviously, I'm not claiming the tech in the linked article is wrong, just saying that I have heard the two valves are better than the three valves.

Last edited:

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Sounds like a big honkin problem to me man. Go for a toyota or honda truck used. Youll never worry about it and youll find it in good mechanical condition! Look at this Toyota. Still runs like a top. :thumb:
crush.jpg

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Sounds like a big honkin problem to me man. Go for a toyota or honda truck used. Youll never worry about it and youll find it in good mechanical condition! Look at this Toyota. Still runs like a top. :thumb:
crush.jpg

Did ya miss the part about needing to fit two baby seats in the back seat? :confused:

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Yeah....... well that was just an example of a Toyota that still runs. (actually Im betting it doesnt..... it WAS supposed to be funny :rolleyes: )

Anyhow, have you looked at Craigslist? Some great deals in there. And if i was you I would find out if the 4wheel drive works with a new fuse before ya buy it. Get a new fuse and plug er in on your next test drive.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Well Dave, if you see in another thread, I'm considering an Excursion with a V10 knowing that it too has the same spark plug spitting issues. I figure that if I can get it for the price I have in mind, I will check it over carefully for a while before I go on any trip. If need be, I'll put on some aftermarket heads.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
will she let you take it to a local mechanic to get a repair estimate?
if yes, then you'll know how much over the $3k you'll really be paying.
if no, then you've still got a couple months before you need the extra backseat capacity, right?

k-dog

I think I would pass on that. I have a 96 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer V-8 AWD with 140,000 miles. Over the last 20,000 miles things have been going wrong at an alarming rate and are not cheap to get fix. After I get the garage built I am getting a new one. Here are some examples of problems I have had.
1. auto climate control system went bad - $1,000 to get fixed.
2. 3rd taillight went out - $500 later it is fixed.
3. Power antenna not working - not fixed yet
4. single arm went bad - can't remember cost but it was a couple hundred
5. tie rod ends
6. seat belt latch problem

I understand these things can go wrong with all cars but I bought it with 78,000 miles and no problems until about 120,000 miles and then all this.
Besides you want the kids to be in something that you won't have to have worries about. Our Explorer was a little tight with three kids in the back (2 were in carseats) and the oldest is the size of an adult. Now one of the kids is in a booster seat and the room is fine.
Good news is once you go to forward facing seats, they fit quite well in the extended cab of a truck.
Good luck Dave.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
4. single arm went bad - can't remember cost but it was a couple hundred

Boy, do I know that. I had to have reconstructive surgery and it cost me thousands besides hurting like hell...:whistle:

OSUfan

Just thought i would let you know I have seen a lot of the ford motors with the same problem you guys are talking about. head gaskets blown at pass side rear of the motor. The four wheel drive part I have seen it be as easy as a vacuum line getting melted.