• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

I'm a virgin

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
To linux that is. :wink:

Figured I'd try it out and see what all the fuss is about since we have an older desktop that's coming to us with Linux apparantly installed. We'll see what I think of it after a few days. So far, quick!!!!

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Maybe it is imune to the common problems and bugs with microsoft products??

Keep us updated with your experiances....

Regards, Kirk

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
To linux that is. :wink:

Figured I'd try it out and see what all the fuss is about since we have an older desktop that's coming to us with Linux apparantly installed. We'll see what I think of it after a few days. So far, quick!!!!

As I understand it, Linux has a lot of free programns available through GNU. I have used GIMP, a photoshop clone, and Open Offce, now Apache Open Office, which I cannot get to load on W 8.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm just getting into the system. So far to me, it's a no frills basic system with your basic browsing, email, word processor. I haven't dabbled into the add on apps yet but so far this system is lightning fast compared to windows 7. I have it installed as a secondary operating system. When I reboot, it now gives me the option of using either this one or windows 7. I could get used to it in time. Graphics are very basic though and appear to be more like those found in windows 95/98. They do the job though.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
What flavor of Linux are you trying?
I like the command line option in linux. I don't have to hunt for the widget to right click on to make something work. Instead i can type the command on the command line and get the job done quickly.

http://www.die.net is a kewl resource if you are looking for command line options.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
I have Ubuntu on another laptop. It's something cool to play around with. I should use it more. If you find any good freeware apps. please post them so I can give them a try.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have Ubuntu on another laptop. It's something cool to play around with. I should use it more. If you find any good freeware apps. please post them so I can give them a try.

GNU is a freeware source that does a lot with LINUX. Much if not all works on Windows as well. I use GIMP and Open Office, but Open Office is now Apache Open Office, and this is the one that is giving me problems loading on W-8