• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

buisness question

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a question for you guys. As you guys all know my wife has battled alcoholism she has now passed the 6 month point and is feeling pretty good. one of the things I have pushed is find a hobby that will generate a bit of revenue, kind of like my gun smithing. she is also pretty gimped up with rumatoid arthritis to the point that full time work isn't an option. well she finally found something for years she has collected beach glass as we were walking on the beach. just recently I bought her a dremmel tool with a press and diamond bits so she could make jewelry out of the glass and sell it to tourist's. she has been making little pendants out of costume jewelry chains. selling them for 15 to 20 bucks the local folks have been buying them up right and left. to gross a thousand bucks is going to be a lot of work that way what are youalls thought's about using a higher dollar chain where there is more room for higher profits does this make sense to try to make more money off a higher quality chain and use the pendant to sell it. also what avenues would you use to market something like that yes I will look for some pics.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
In today's economy you are better off to keep lower prices and go for volume. Maybe set up a website to market them and mail them? Don't know how bad rates are for mail up there but shipping jewelry should be pretty cheap.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
here are some photos from her face book page

Attachments

• 994813_10151564835644093_647636105_n[1].jpg
    994813_10151564835644093_647636105_n[1].jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 174
  • 1014316_10151564943454093_1369681431_n[1].jpg
    1014316_10151564943454093_1369681431_n[1].jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 180

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
In today's economy you are better off to keep lower prices and go for volume. Maybe set up a website to market them and mail them? Don't know how bad rates are for mail up there but shipping jewelry should be pretty cheap.
amazon has real gold chains pretty inexpensive which is why I was asking it would be nice to make 50 bucks a pop vs 10 bucks each as once the snow flys supplies will dry up

Last edited:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I would come up with some sort of a "logo" that plays up the "Handmade in Alaska" theme. See if you can find a small chain of tourist shops and sell them to the headquarters so they can be sold at all the shops, not just the shop(s) in your area.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Bob that was what I was thinking the chamber of commerce is always promoting tourism but there is only a limited tourist market here Anchorage has a much larger market.as does south east with the cruise boats

Mama

Those are very nice. I have to agree with trying to sell in volume in this economy. Have you tried Etsy?

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
She could always try selling some higher end jewelry and see how it works.
A website is a good idea. I have used this host to build a website: http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/ Building websites is kind of a hobby of mine but Yahoo also provides templates for a person to use so really no knowledge of building a website is needed if they are used.
As a person who battled alcoholism myself I wish your wife well.

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
As you guys all know my wife has battled alcoholism she has now passed the 6 month point and is feeling pretty good.
I don't have anything to add except to say "Congratulations" to your wife! 6 months is a very long time! Give her lots of encouragement dds and she'll make it. :clap:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't have anything to add except to say "Congratulations" to your wife! 6 months is a very long time! Give her lots of encouragement dds and she'll make it. :clap:
Yes indeed. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Why couldn't you offer the jewelry both with the cheaper chain and offer the same pendant with the higher priced chain? Or you could offer the fancier pendants on the more expensive chain. As long as you don't have to bulk buy the chain up front it seems you could offer both and let the customer choose which they want. Some will always go for the better quality item.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
that was my thought's I generally like to buy quality if I have to take money from my pockets. we decided to try a few hi dollar chains see if the market likes it. it would please me if this little hobby can make up for the lack of household income coming from her not working.

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
she could use various avenues to market. she could sell custom-made items, w/ a few pieces to use strictly as sample items. she could look into selling them online, as well. could have a gathering to sell her jewelry. nearby, there is a weekly event where ppl sell stuff. u rent a space, & flocks of ppl arrive. oddly enough, u would not notice that place existed unless searching for them.
have yinz got a weekly ad that reaches a considerable # of ppl~

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
she could use various avenues to market. she could sell custom-made items, w/ a few pieces to use strictly as sample items. she could look into selling them online, as well. could have a gathering to sell her jewelry. nearby, there is a weekly event where ppl sell stuff. u rent a space, & flocks of ppl arrive. oddly enough, u would not notice that place existed unless searching for them.
have yinz got a weekly ad that reaches a considerable # of ppl~
there is only 4000 people in nome and no connection to the roads so your market will be limited if she was to make enough money to substitute lost income from a job she needs to have a larger market. i believe it's nice to have the internet available.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
The idea of them being made in Alaska would sell. I presume maye she is using ebay or Amazon?
One reason I keep working on websites is to keep my mind active so that's another reason I suggest one.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
to those of you guys who have hens that like to spend your money here is a link to some of the stuff my wife has put together she has also used her connections from st Laurence island to acquire some local native art to add to her little pieces. the little figurines are carved out of legal ivory.
https://www.facebook.com/EskimobabeesIgloo

Leni

My girlfriend and I are making purses to sell on Etsy. That is a good website dedicated to hand made items.