• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

2 Thiokols for sale on EBAY

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
mtntopper said:
You just haven't convinced yourself you need a snow cat.
Exactly... I'm cutting down on toys as I've run out of space. I was up to something like 17 vehicles (of some sort). Down to 12 now but still need to part with some before I get new toys.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
bczoom said:
I may have to adjust/reconsider my offer. At over 8' wide, it won't fit on my trailer. I would have to find a different trailer to haul it.
Brian, that looks like the narrow track version from the photos. You be be surprised to find it is narrower than you think. They came with either wide or narrow tracks.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
Brian, that looks like the narrow track version from the photos. You be be surprised to find it is narrower than you think. They came with either wide or narrow tracks.
You're right Bob. The listing shows it at 70".
I was looking at the 99.5" listed in the specs provided by mtntopper.

OK, at 70", I can haul it for someone if needed.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
I know the feeling::confused:

5 ATV 4 wheelers
2 Ford Super Duty Trucks
1 Jeep Grand Cherokee
8 Snowmobiles
3 Trailers
2 Snow Cats
1 Small Fishing Boat
4 Chainsaws
1 Generator

I am sure I forgot something. The above is alot of fuel being used. I have always liked motors. Does not include all of the kids and grand kids motorized toys sitting around the property. I hope the wife never pokes around too much and figures out where this is all stashed. I could be looking for a new wife or to sell something if she ever realizes we have the start of a real junkyard. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Brian, if you think you might like something like the Imp, but are concerned it won't carry enough people, or perhaps is a bit short on cargo capacity, please check this auction out. It might be JUST WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR and is for sale on ebay.

:applause: LINK to Ebay auction. :tiphat:

Hey, I don't make this stuff up, I just post it!

Attachments

• 0a_12.JPG
    0a_12.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 236
  • 79_12.JPG
    79_12.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 233
  • d6_12.JPG
    d6_12.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 232

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Snowcat Operations said:
I would bet it will get as high as $9,600.

You are the winner on guessing closest to the final bid price of $10,101.00. Reserve not met. I am not surprised as I said before there is a demand for multi passenger snow cats in the west.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Now it will be relisted about ten times before he gets close to what he wants and will spend 25% of that to get what he wants! He will never get his money out of it.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
After operating snow cats with the OC12 rear differential, it would be very hard for me to go back to the cats with OC4 rear differential. With my older Imp, I had to prepare for my turn.:eek: :eek: The OC12 responds much quicker and your turns are much more precise. The OC4 is just one more drawback to the older Thiokols. When you touch the stick in a cat with an OC12, you get almost instant response.:D Tight trail manuevers and turns are easy with the OC12 differential cats.:thumb:

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I guess I'm confused :eek: .... I was refering to the Nova. Mid engine and skis to turn.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Okay, different book wrong page.:confused: :confused: :confused: I was comparing the older OC4 Thiokols to the newer Thiokols/LMCs that used the OC12 rear differential and brake steering systems. I believe the 601 that was on ebay had the OC4 rear differential and brake steering system.

I don't believe the Nova would be very functional in real world snow conditions. The front end would probably just push and the steering components would be under a lot of strain. What kind of effort would be required of a power steering pump to turn those monster skis? How about the driveline trying to work with all that track traction? Something is gonna break!!!!:(

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
No problem Pixie, We knew what you ment. And yes that monstrosity would be very difficult to turn in any type of snow. First the skis are way to small second there is to much weight on them which will make them want to plow straight ahead anyway. Does it look cool? You bet but would only be good on like a very big frozen lake with about 18" of snow on top.

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thiokol 601 uses an OC-15 steering differential, not OC-4. Manufactured specially for the military I think.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
mtncrawler said:
Thiokol 601 uses an OC-15 steering differential, not OC-4. Manufactured specially for the military I think.

Did all 601s have the OC15 or just the military versions? I assumed it would be an OC4 with the 4 speed considering the age of the machine. I am not real up to date on the older Thiokols models.:confused: Since you have one you are able to let us know how they were manufactured and equipped. Were they all made for the military or were there civilian models also manufactured? How do they differ from the early Sprytes?:weneedpic