• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1958 Sprocket Drive ST4 ReConstruction Started

vintagebike

I got the new HiTorque 12volt/6 gear starter installed today. Spins great and with new plugs and plug connectors runs great. I'm not sure what parts move around when under way. Will anything hit the battery cable lug with the starter set up this way? :hammer: Looks like, after the experts saw ours at McCallin' 2017, I will need new sprockets. It's been pretty quiet about having new ones available after all the talk and hubbub last year. :ermm:

IMG_9311.jpg

IMG_9313.jpg

IMG_9312.jpg

Sno-Surfer

Well shoot, I had a set of sprockets in my truck when I was there. I think they were the right style for yours too. I thought I'd check with the snow trac owners to see if anyone needed a set but didn't get around to it.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
reversing the bolt on your steering from the other way will help some. I've had no issues with my cables.
jim

NorCal

Where did you buy that starter? I think I am going to need one, mine spins slow when it gets hot.
Looking forward to see progress on your friction drive 58, Is that the oldest one in the US?

vintagebike

CB Performance in California was the best retail deal I could find -#IMI-105. :thumb: I asked for and got a 10% discount for Presidents' Day. Maybe wait till St. Patrick's Day? My Friction Drive might not just be the oldest one but the only one still with the original friction drive here in North America? I know of at least one older than mine still in Sweden.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I got the new HiTorque 12volt/6 gear starter installed today. Spins great and with new plugs and plug connectors runs great. I'm not sure what parts move around when under way. Will anything hit the battery cable lug with the starter set up this way? :hammer: Looks like, after the experts saw ours at McCallin' 2017, I will need new sprockets. It's been pretty quiet about having new ones available after all the talk and hubbub last year. :ermm:

View attachment 89985

View attachment 89986

View attachment 89987
I checked the clearance on mine today and it was about 3/4 inch now .one photo shows the pin before it reversed it. The wire and the steering linkage is tight so I think i'm ok.
thanks for pointing this out.
DSC00880.jpg

DSC00863_1.jpg

vintagebike

Need a part

Does anyone have a spare flat head through pin for connecting the steering shaft as shown in Jim's first photo- the one he turned around? Looks like mine has a shade tree fix using a bolt and two nuts that may give me some problems with my new starter.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Re: Need a part

Does anyone have a spare flat head through pin for connecting the steering shaft as shown in Jim's first photo- the one he turned around? Looks like mine has a shade tree fix using a bolt and two nuts that may give me some problems with my new starter.

What size of bolt did they put in?

Know anyone with a turning lathe? If not, I could make you one. Of course I need an address to send it. PM me if you can't find something that works for you there.

Regards, Kirk

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
DSC00896.jpg

if you can read my broken caliper. If any longer you may not get it in. I beveled the end on mine
this is part 17 in our manual ST 3001

DSC00891.jpg

NorCal

Did you have to cut the mounting "ears" off the new starter like factory and use the little clips to mount it? Its looks like you got it to bolt into the factory holes on tranny.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
no cutting on the newer starter . it has a base that turns and you use the factory vw mounting holes. I would check your clearance on both ends of your
steering linkage 25 ST 1045 after installing. Also be sure you use the matching starter gear that fits your flywheel ring gear.