• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

First drive in the cat

PJL

Thanks to the kindness of JimVT and others we were able to take our LMC1200 out for the first time. 3 of us from my office went and none of have ever driven a snowcat before.

At the end of the day we all felt pretty good about operating the cats.

We took the 1200, a DMC 1450 Super Imp and Jim's Pisten Bulley. We took turns driving all 3.

Went up to the radio site at Three Sisters.

What I learned, its actually a lot of work driving a snow cat. Except the Pisten Bulley. That was a nice ride.

If you have to chain up your tow rig to get to the snow, well maybe it's time to take the cat off the trailer and ditch the rig.

A clowder is a group of cats. I thought clowder is when we have more clouds than yesterday.

Except for a stuck float in the carb causing 2 field repairs it ran fine. Tops out out 15 mph at 3600 RPM. Used about 3 gallons fuel per hour. We didn't need the heaters, (it has 3) as the temp was high 30's. The valve wouldn't shut the heat off completely so it was almost a short pants and T-Shirt uniform.

We'll do it again soon. Pics included for the snow deprived east coasters. As I remember they had it all last winter while our ski season lasted about 23 minutes.

(And no I don't know why some pics loaded sideways. It wasn't that steep)

Attachments

• DSC01227.jpg
    DSC01227.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 336
  • DSC01235.jpg
    DSC01235.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 325
  • DSC01236.jpg
    DSC01236.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 333
  • DSC01239.jpg
    DSC01239.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 338
  • DSC01240.jpg
    DSC01240.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 336
  • DSC01241.jpg
    DSC01241.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_1508.jpg
    IMG_1508.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_1509.jpg
    IMG_1509.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG_1511.jpg
    IMG_1511.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG_1515.jpg
    IMG_1515.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 317
  • P1010624.jpg
    P1010624.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 316
Last edited:

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
we had a good day and climbed some large drifts.
the yellow one above was just pick up out of navy storage and in excellent shape.
jim

The Sweet Wbj1

GOLD Site Supporter
Pics included for the snow deprived east coasters. As I remember they had it all last winter while our ski season lasted about 23 minutes.

Great pics!!

Down here we got two inches last year and people around here called it Snowmaggedon!! hahaha

PJL

I recall seeing photos of Atlanta with roads completely shut down. Bet it's hard to find tire chains and snow plows around that town.

PJL

I got to drive all 3 of em of too!!:clap:

So our mechanics pulled the carburetor apart and found it was chock full of rust and bits of rubber diaphragm material. Filter on fuel pump full of crud, glass filter bowl crudded up as well. And it was just cleaned. He pulled the fuel tank off and found the source. Rust and water in the tank. Tank cleaned up pretty well. Carb went out for overhaul, looking for a new fuel pump.

The amazing part is it ran as well as it did.

Crossing my fingers nothing else major jumps up.

Guess that's what happens when a rig only accumulates 287 hours in 27 years. The gas in the tank is probably old enough to vote.

GSSD06

There was a fourth cat there also, although we didn't get to drive that one. Glad to hear the mechanics found the problem, the last time I went out with a Spryte I had to tow it back to the trailer because of the same problem. The next summer they had the fuel tank coated inside with plastic and that clogged the pick-up tube.
I was impressed with how fast and smooth the quad with tracks is. It was a great day and good snow for being out in the open. It could get pretty cold in the rain and ice. I was surprised how much effort it took to turn the quad in the snow we had.

Attachments

• DSC01234s.jpg
    DSC01234s.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 154