• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

At what height do you mow your lawn?

At what height do you mow your lawn?

• <2"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2.5"

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • 3"

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • 3.5"

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • 4"

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • 4.5"

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • 5" or longer

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
For the poll, let's say this time of year. I know myself and most others cut it 1/2 - 1" higher once the heat kicks in.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I only mow my lawn when my daughter, wife and sister-in-law have all gone out of town. If any of them are in town then I am retired and don't mow the lawn.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
3", and I'm cutting it every 3-4 days.

Same here for the yard 3" and twice a week.

The pastures are going a week or so between mowings and those are at 5" to miss the rocks and stumps. This time of year it grows faster than the horses can eat it.

Jim

mak2

Really it is suppose to depend on the type of grass, rain fall etc. One inportant consideration most people dont think about is the taller they cut the grass the fewer weeds that grow. Many companies recommending mowing a 3.5 or 4 nowdays.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
4". The higher the better for your lawn. The taller grass keeps itself cooler and does not dry out as easy and weeds germinating don't have as easy of a chance.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Really it is suppose to depend on the type of grass, rain fall etc. One inportant consideration most people dont think about is the taller they cut the grass the fewer weeds that grow. Many companies recommending mowing a 3.5 or 4 nowdays.

I hate it when you and I come up with the same answer. :poke: :yum:

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
My system, I wait for the first real hot sunny day and cut my lawn as short as I can. Hopefully most of it will burn and I won't have to touch it again until the following spring. If I mow my lawn four times per summer that's a lot.

mak2

ooops sorry. If it makes you feel any better I still usually mow mine at 3 cause I am too lazy to mow more often.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
ooops sorry. If it makes you feel any better I still usually mow mine at 3 cause I am too lazy to mow more often.

I don't understand? What does height have to do with the amount of times you mow. You typically cut about the same off every time. Grass grows at the same speed whether it is one inch or six inches.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Here we have Kentucky blue grass and that stuff grows very quickly. We mow once a week regardless of how high. This goes on from early spring through late fall when it seems to go dormant and not grow but still stays very green.

mak2

I don't understand? What does height have to do with the amount of times you mow. You typically cut about the same off every time. Grass grows at the same speed whether it is one inch or six inches.

I can let it grow a couple of inches if I cut it at three. If I cut it at 4 and it grows a couple of inches it looks really shaggy and turns to seed. I dunno, I probably could get away with mowing at 4 all the time.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I can let it grow a couple of inches if I cut it at three. If I cut it at 4 and it grows a couple of inches it looks really shaggy and turns to seed. I dunno, I probably could get away with mowing at 4 all the time.

You are not supposed to cut more than an inch off of it at a time from what I read in the past.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
This time of year I try to keep it at 3 inches since now we got some moisture & 5 inches when the heat gets here . Were slowly trying to get everything in fescue but its been a battle especially the pasture .

I Put down 200 lbs of seed in the fall , another 200 lbs in january & 100 lbs in the last few weeks in the thinner areas & I mow everyday at least 4 hours weather permitting & by the time I,m done with all of it , its time to start over :w00t2:. Mowing right at 13 acres right now & still need another 1000 lbs or so of seed down before winter & if all goes well it will all take hold if it dont burn up this summer again :hammer: . I,m sure ours looks like crap right now compared to most of ya,s but I will win eventually :clap:

mak2

You are not supposed to cut more than an inch off of it at a time from what I read in the past.

You are indeed exactly right, I think the seed companies say 25%. That is why I consider myself lazy for not doing it correctly.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
4". The higher the better for your lawn. The taller grass keeps itself cooler and does not dry out as easy and weeds germinating don't have as easy of a chance.
That works for me. I started out cutting at 4 1/2 this season but have now backed down to 4 inches. It looks healthier at that cut, and it does not clump near as often. Since I don't fertilize I have some areas that grow faster than the rest of the yard, and the grass is thicker in those areas. Cutting higher the mower does not throw out clumps of grass so it looks much better.

norscaner

:yum::yum::yum::yum:

I wish this was my greatest concern, I have appx 2 hours of cutting and the flower gardens are more of a concern . We have daughter #2 getting married this June and the day after party here on the "lawn" Photos to follow in June.....maybe photos of the "old guy" Mom and Meg for sure,

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I look forward to the photos. I know what it's like planning an outdoor event like that. Our oldest daughter simply had to have the ceremony and reception all out doors. The extra headache that entails shocked me. All the things that reception halls take care of for you now we had to do ourselves. We made it through it but it was stressful. Even had rain the morning of, and had to dry off 200 chairs 2 hours before the ceremony. ...sure glad that is all behind us. :D
Good luck with yours. :thumb:

alaska120

Mayor McCheese
SUPER Site Supporter
What lawn??? All I have is trees and weeds. If we're measuring those then I cut my weeds at about 3". :smile:
J