• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Thinking of Spring......

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
I have been thinking of spring and was getting prices on fertilizer for the lawns. I usually buy about 2000 pounds of triple 10 or 15, whichever I can get the better price on. I will use at least 1000 pounds on the first application and it gives the grass a good and needed boost after a long hard winter. What are your plans to getting a lush green lawn this summer???????? What is the going rate for fertilizer where you live? Tehe first price that I got so far is $8.00 for a 40 pound bag. I know that is double of what I paid last year, but with rising transportation costs, I don't know where the final prices will be... Junk...

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Junkman said:
What is the going rate for fertilizer where you live?

Free. I have all the compost I could ever use.

Really though, I have never been much interested in lawn care. I don't do any kind of supplementary care other than mowing. I duon't know, it's just never seemed all that important to me.

BoneheadNW

Junkman said:
I have been thinking of spring and was getting prices on fertilizer for the lawns. I usually buy about 2000 pounds of triple 10 or 15, whichever I can get the better price on. I will use at least 1000 pounds on the first application and it gives the grass a good and needed boost after a long hard winter. What are your plans to getting a lush green lawn this summer???????? What is the going rate for fertilizer where you live? Tehe first price that I got so far is $8.00 for a 40 pound bag. I know that is double of what I paid last year, but with rising transportation costs, I don't know where the final prices will be... Junk...
Junk, what brand fertilizer do you use? I have used the Lilly Miller brand Lilly Miller without moss control (the moss control stuff was nearly fatal to parts of my lawn) but the stuff is expensive- 20 bucks for 33.3 lb. What size lawn do you fertilize?
Bonehead

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Junkman said:
What are your plans to getting a lush green lawn this summer???????? Junk...

I'll just keep dumping in the toilet and flushing. My leach field is in the front "lawn". Couldn't care less about the rear yard. The more it grows the more I have to mow it.

BoneheadNW

Junk, what about my other question-what brand fertilizer do you use?
Bone
P.S. Pay closer attention next time!

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
What ever brand that I can get a good deal on. On the very front lawn that you see when you drive up to the house, I use Scott's, but all the rest of the areas get the generic products. I couldn't afford to use Scott's on the entire lawn area..... too expensive and it doesn't go far enough ... Junk...

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm with Junk. For the "good" lawns I stick to the Scott's Fertilizer program - it just works.

The rest of the property gets no-name brand basic fertilizer.

I'm big on Lime too.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I have a neighbor who gives me more horse poo than I know what to do with. I'm thinking of buying/making one of those rolling manure spreaders. I think it would do a good job of adding fertilizer and also help to level the ground a bit too.

Might be a good little welding project.

HarleyScooter

Junkman, I know what you mean about the price increasing. I was at Sam's Club the other day and their Scotts with Haults was $45 for 18,000 square feet, I think I paid around $35 last year.

BadAttitude

Junk...you want lush green? Try this sometime. The results are incredible. I sure hope you like seat time though, and don't say I didn't warn you...but you can actually hear the grass grow:pat: :D

Here's a couple pics of half my lawn using nothing but their product for the last 10yrs...

Attachments

• Green1.jpg
    Green1.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 53
  • Green2.jpg
    Green2.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 53

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Nice looking lawn BA.
Do you have a per acre cost for the Fertilizer you use?
Do you spread it with a tractor implement?
I never have fertilized the 4 acres I mow, but I'm sick of the dandelions, and thin grass in areas. I really don't want to make it grow faster, but I would like it to look nice, like yours.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
BA - you must love your seat time! That is some nice lawn and lots of it.

Your spring time motto must be the same as mine: ABM (Always Be Mowin')

buckle97

SUPER Site Supporter
I'm with OTC, I don't do anything to make it grow faster. There's no way I could keep up with the mowing if it did:smileywac .

Lawrence

BadAttitude

Doc said:
Nice looking lawn BA.
Do you have a per acre cost for the Fertilizer you use?
Do you spread it with a tractor implement?
I never have fertilized the 4 acres I mow, but I'm sick of the dandelions, and thin grass in areas. I really don't want to make it grow faster, but I would like it to look nice, like yours.
Thanks Doc...it took alot of work and blood, sweat & tears:D , but worth it IMO! The cost for the 'Weed & Feed' mix is about $90 per acre. That's the stuff I highly recomend if your looking to get rid of the dandelions The Winter Green or basic Green Power is about $60-70 per. Trust me, I've blown some serious coin over the yrs trying just about every product made and nothing compares.

I use a 3pt hopper...holds about 500#s and depending on the material, I can do the whole 2.5 acres with one load. If you want a green carpet, you WILL have to deal with grass that GROWS. So frequent mowing is required:5boobs: :D

BadAttitude

PBinWA said:
BA - you must love your seat time! That is some nice lawn and lots of it.

Your spring time motto must be the same as mine: ABM (Always Be Mowin')
Thanks...
Seat time isn't bad in the begining of the growing season...helps me deal with stress. After a month or 2, it does get old. Plus I hate wasting daylite mowing, so by the time it gets old I usually mow at night. Best time to mow IMO...as long as there's no dew.

Yeah I agree with the motto...after suffering thru a New England winter, it's a treat to go out and cruise around mowing for awhile.

BadAttitude

DaveNay said:
Ta heck with the lawn, tell us more about that gorgeous stone wall!
I don't want to 'jack Junks thread so I'll be brief.

The wall you see is about 400' long. Half of it was buried by the previous owners...farmers. I cleaned up and restacked most of it, but would love to rebuild it entirely. At the far right of the wall, there is a serious pile of rocks I stock piled. Plus I have about another 1K' or so of old walls, down in the valley. Plenty of field stone around here...that's for sure!

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I must the be the lonely tree-hugging envior-wacko of the forum because I detest the use of chemical fertilizers on the lawn. I absolutely refuse to use them in the dog yard (an area about 60' by 150'). I will use them only occasionally (about every 3rd year and about 1/2 dose) to knock down the dandelions in the 'front yard' and never use them in the other areas, especially where the kids play. As for the garden where I grow food, that is ALMOST an organic garden, I use no herbicides at all and only will spot treat plants with an insecticide as a last resort if all else fails.

I firmly believe that Scotts and all similar brands create thatch and lead to surface rooting of the grass, which creates a dependancy on more and more chemical fertilizers. It also creates a situation where, because the roots are near the surface, the grass is subjected to greater stress from both drought and insects.

BoneheadNW

B_Skurka said:
Well I must the be the lonely tree-hugging envior-wacko of the forum because I detest the use of chemical fertilizers on the lawn.
Bob, believe it or not, we have something in common. That is why I have been using that Lilly Miller stuff.
Now if only we can convert you to wearing tie-dyed shirts!
Bone

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I think this is the second time Bob and Bone are in agreement on something. Bone you are NOT the antithesis of Bob. In fact I think you two would be best buddies if you lived closer!

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
PBinWA said:
I think this is the second time Bob and Bone are in agreement on something. Bone you are NOT the antithesis of Bob. In fact I think you two would be best buddies if you lived closer!

He could even come to the Libertarian meetings with me! :yum:
And then we could follow up by campaiging for the local Republican Party.

Actually, aside from my Atilla the Hun right wing leanings in politics, I think I probably get along pretty well with any easy going person who has the ability to think clearly and stand behind their beliefs (even when they are wrong).

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
B_Skurka said:
................., I think I probably get along pretty well with any easy going person who has the ability to think clearly and stand behind their beliefs (even when they are wrong).

Does that mean that................................ :thumb:

BoneheadNW

B_Skurka said:
I think I probably get along pretty well with any easy going person who has the ability to think clearly and stand behind their beliefs (even when they are wrong).
That eliminates me, I guess. I'm not easy going (according to my wife), I can't think clearly (again, according to my wife), and I don't have any true beliefs (again, according to my wife). My wife also thinks that I don't joke around enough (too uptight) and that I have a temper. All of these qualities are opposite to what my friends tell me. Do you see a pattern?
Back to the thread. I have been looking on the internet for organic lawn fertilizer and have yet to find any that can be bought in bulk. Does anyone here buy organic lawn fertilizer in bulk?
Bonehead
P.S. I don't think Mrs. Bonehead is serious-she just says those things to get me uptight. :D

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Time to put down the fall fertilizer. Keep the grass cut short and the roots will develope and the falling leaves will blow off. Junk....