• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Linux Mint

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
I have been thinking about installing Linux Mint for awhile. Since I really don't like Windows 10 on the Lenovo I bought earlier this year I've gone back to using this Acer that runs Windows 7.
If I do download mint it will be on that Lenovo.
I have been looking at websites to download it from and have been looking at this.

https://www.linuxmint.com/

It looks pretty legit. Any opinions or ideas about it or where else I can download it from?

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I have been thinking about installing Linux Mint for awhile. Since I really don't like Windows 10 on the Lenovo I bought earlier this year I've gone back to using this Acer that runs Windows 7.
If I do download mint it will be on that Lenovo.
I have been looking at websites to download it from and have been looking at this.

https://www.linuxmint.com/

It looks pretty legit. Any opinions or ideas about it or where else I can download it from?

That's the place I would download it from.

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
Just a tip - Download the ISO then get Rufus to make a bootable Flash Drive.

Way faster Install.

Would you not consider Ubuntu?

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
Just a tip - Download the ISO then get Rufus to make a bootable Flash Drive.

Way faster Install.

Would you not consider Ubuntu?

I'm sorry but I don't know who Rufus is?

I have this ACER so it double boots into UBUNTU.
I even have that burned onto a disk.
I have Lubuntu (light weight Ubuntu) on an ancient desktop (it still uses floppies) I have that as a replacement for an older outdated version of Windows.
I put Lubuntu on it because I didn't think that it could handle Ubuntu.
I have been wanting to try the mint version of Linux for quite awhile so I figured I might as well try it on my other laptop that runs Win 10.
Do you think that if I put it on Flash Drive rather than burning it onto a CD?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Interesting. I had not heard of Mint. Sounds cutting edge. Just be ready for things to be a litle trickier to make it all work together. Course you probably saw: Linux Mint 18 is based on Ubuntu 16.04. Make sure to read the Ubuntu release notes.
Hardware compatability list should be in the Ubuntu release notes:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/XenialXerus/ReleaseNotes

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for that info Jim. Eudora has been around a long time. I never knew where the name came from.

I use Thunderbird, because, it will hold the huge volume of email tht I keep and doesn't complain.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for that info Jim. Eudora has been around a long time. I never knew where the name came from.

I use Thunderbird, because, it will hold the huge volume of email tht I keep and doesn't complain.

Looks like I will switch to Thunderbird soon after over 20 years with Eudora. The last Eudora update was 2010 and its no longer supported. Its running fine on an XP box but the computer itself is having problems.

Jim

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
Sorry that it's taken me so long to give it a try but I'm trying that Rufus right now and can't get it to download or do anything.
I'm really confused about what to do there or how to do it.

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
I dont understand the diwnload issue, i just downloaded it on my phone no problems.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
I dont understand the diwnload issue, i just downloaded it on my phone no problems.

I want it for my laptop not a phone, does that make a difference?
I also tried it from that link I posted and when I tried to open the download I got an error message.
I do have an Ubuntu disk that a computer savvy friend of mine made me years ago. I may just end up installing Ubuntu.